DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just come across this in NZ

Wow, interesting...
"A study commissioned by the CAA estimated there were 280,000 New Zealand resident drone users, with another 200,000 people from overseas using drones here each year."
with only 4m people living in NZ, thats about 1 drone for every 15 people... A lot of drones....

Over the last 18 months or so flying my drones in New Zealand I have only once shared the sky with another drone so I wonder where the the other 279,998 drone fliers are?
Indeed. Just like in the UK, a total over estimate of the number of drones. Here in the UK we have a population of 70 million and they reckon there's 170,000 drones. They must really love their drones in NZ:)

I agree with The Womble. I fly my M2Z in New Zealand including at all of our popular tourist spots and it is quite unusual to encounter anyone else flying a drone. Unusual enough for the occasion to stick in the mind. No idea where the figure of comes 280,000 from. Maybe it includes ‘toy’ indoor machines.

Yeah - those statistics seem to be way off. The article's author should have done the right thing and included a link to the so-called CAA study that came up with those numbers.

But I did find the same statistics in another article so now I'm not sure what to think.

ADLS - Connecting New Zealand Lawyers

Edit: I found a link to the actual CAA document - link below. See page 11. It refers to "RPAS" so that would include all kinds of remote controlled aircraft - not just drones. Now it all makes more sense.

RPAS use in New Zealand

Last edited:
I wasn’t aware it was so popular. Maybe we should all band together and form a lobby group.
I only know if 2 others who have drones, and they inspired me to get one.
I have never seen another drone flying (apart from my two friends), although I am public averse for the most part.
Maybe they are looking at registered people on Air Share?

I wasn’t aware it was so popular. Maybe we should all band together and form a lobby group.
I only know if 2 others who have drones, and they inspired me to get one.
I have never seen another drone flying (apart from my two friends), although I am public averse for the most part.
Maybe they are looking at registered people on Air Share?

There are a lot of model aircraft clubs in New Zealand.

This news article was just posted. Interesting read but same as we’ve seen it before.

Best of luck to you guys across the pond. One thing I noticed was that all the linked articles were antidrone.... so maybe it’s just the wishes of a small faction.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk