Despite police outcry, DeSantis administration bans Chinese drones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradigm

Reactions
Tampa Bay Times
Lawrence Mower
Updated 4.4.23

TALLAHASSEE — Police departments across Florida are shelving millions of dollars in aerial drones because of a Gov. Ron DeSantis administration rule that takes effect Wednesday.

In its latest attempt to stamp out foreign influence in Florida, the DeSantis administration is forbidding government agencies — including police, firefighters and mosquito control districts — from using drones manufactured by China-based Da Jiang Innovations, or DJI, by far the most popular drones in the world.

Police, including in Tampa, and other agencies have purchased an estimated $200 million in DJI drones over the years, according to one lawmaker, but under the rule, they can only use drones made by a handful of “approved manufacturers,” most of which are based in the U.S. The rule prohibits buying drones from a company in a “foreign country of concern.”

Many departments have already grounded their fleets, but they told lawmakers they’ve found the Florida-approved replacements far more expensive, much less capable, and in some cases dangerous. One approved drone lit on fire in a deputy’s patrol vehicle, one law enforcement official testified.
Cheaper than flying a helicopter and safer than pursuing suspects down an alley, police said that drones have become integral to their police departments.

During last month’s committee hearing, officers and supervisors said drones have helped pursue criminals, warned officers of armed suspects, identified Alzheimer’s patients and missing people, and even flown into a home to check on an armed, barricaded suspect.

They said the drones even won over skeptics among their ranks.

“They took away the fun of law enforcement, which was chasing bad guys,” Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office Col. Robert Allen told lawmakers. “But until we had some misfortunes happen in Florida, and around the state, I came to warm up to the use of drones greatly. … You can’t measure what these drones have brought to officer safety.”

DJI drones in particular have been a “godsend,” Orlando police Sgt. David Cruz said.

Their replacements from the approved list are inferior, and in some cases dangerous, Cruz and others testified.
Wright questioned what kind of data China would even want from police drones. Much of the information drones collect, such as footage and some data, is considered a public record in Florida anyway. He noted that most police carry watches made in China, phones made in China and police body cameras made in China.

What a joke. I say that as someone who has plenty of issues with DJI, the lack of US competition in this drone segment, and with surveillance/the police.

This just reeks of a political talking point that will ultimately hurt the law enforcement workers and most likely Florida citizens.

Are police auctions still a thing?

Probably could get a good deal on a drone package for civilian use.

Keep this thread from political overkill. One post removed already.
Stay on topic - how this affects drone use in the USA for example.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Yes, so long as it is not related to their job or as a hobbyist.
ahh, perhaps American vs British, I would have typed that as " so long they intend to use it as a hobby flyer ( which would seem to exclude paid flying) and not related to their job, presumably referring police work."

Oh well, they'll get some good deals if the auction is kept hush hush.

Reactions: Torque
Tampa Bay Times
Lawrence Mower
Updated 4.4.23

What a joke. I say that as someone who has plenty of issues with DJI, the lack of US competition in this drone segment, and with surveillance/the police.

This just reeks of a political talking point that will ultimately hurt the law enforcement workers and most likely Florida citizens.
I submitted a similar article from yesterday's Miami Herald. Also seen in this Mavic Pilots Forum today's issue.
I am frankly not really worried about the availability DJI drones commercially- I think things will not change as to availability of products and services. Just my opinion.

Dale
Miami FL

They will still be around as they were before, just can't use gov't funds to make the purchase or use them day-to-day for gov't work. They will be available for all other business and personal use without limit. This is limited to specific groups who, not sure if they can, might just outsource the need versus using other brands.

I warned about getting too political, but nonetheless, it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13