DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just got MA, very disappointed in range and noise.

Thank you sir...I to fly RC fixed wing and for someone to think and say that just because I fly RC ( big stuff 2m to 1/4 scale) that I'm not a "SERIOUS" pilot is just plain ignorant...you said it much better
Thanks! 1/4 scale is something for sure. I still have big scale Piper Cub hanging on the high ceiling in my living room. Man that thing could fly so slow, in the air you couldn't tell it was just a model. And the sound of that 10cc engine even with scale muffler. One of these days I take it down and to the field again. Drone flying has made me a bit lazy.

Let's take it a notch down from now on. :)
I'm all in for a nice and friendly discussion, even with people who disagree with me.

Reactions: Classic flyer
Thanks! 1/4 scale is something for sure. I still have big scale Piper Cub hanging on the high ceiling in my living room. Man that thing could fly so slow, in the air you couldn't tell it was just a model. And the sound of that 10cc engine even with scale muffler. One of these days I take it down and to the field again. Drone flying has made me a bit lazy.

Let's take it a notch down from now on. :)
I'm all in for a nice and friendly discussion, even with people who disagree with me.
Could not agree more...you sound like a very reasonable person

Reactions: Lake_Flyer
I'm an Architect...
Some of my best friends are architects (the truth) so don't feel bad, it can happen to anyone. :)
Just joking man! Lighten up. This forum is generally very friendly. But it just is so tempting... I was just having fun.

Any examples of works? Would be very interesting. Should be a nice thing to catch with a drone, something you designed yourself.
Let's start a new thread about what we do for a living in the off topic area. Should be fun.
I mean it. You won't believe my career story, I promise.

Some of my best friends are architects (the truth) so don't feel bad, it can happen to anyone. :)
Just joking man! Lighten up. This forum is generally very friendly. But it just is so tempting... I was just having fun.

Any examples of works? Would be very interesting. Should be a nice thing to catch with a drone, something you designed yourself.
Let's start a new thread about what we do for a living in the off topic area. Should be fun.
Start the thread bro...

so why keep trying to convince everyone their drone suck balls
Never used my drone for that purpose. And I have never used that expression and never will. I would never convince anyone to do this to himself with a drone. Can you elaborate on this in a new topic in the Off Topic section?
You could call it: How to use your drone to get even more personal satisfaction, if you're into that stuff.
:p
Not my thing really but than again, those props really bite.

Joke, OK? :rolleyes: I really hope it's obvious enough.

Let's keep it civil folks. Thanks.

Architect, pilot, astronaut... whatever you want to be.

Architect, pilot, astronaut... whatever you want to be.
Certainly not architect :p

Pilot, yes, but I am ( PPL). Drone Pilot, sure fine, I am. Astronaut, absolutely yes, if only I could, a dream since I was a boy.

But....not here, let's do that in the off topic section, not so hard. If you start the topic i promise I'll chime in.

It goes to show many people have no idea what RC flying really is. Would you ever have taken to the skies if there weren't selfie drones? Don't think so. If you think you're flying RC with an Air, (or a Pro) well..... But you said it yourself, half a brain and two thumbs and one immediately wants to be one of the big boys. You can't become an RC pilot in just a couple of weeks. Lot of stick time with various crafts of various sizes standing next to a licensed club instructor does the job.

And I certainly will never say that everyone who thinks different is a fanboy. Hate that word. BIG NO!.
I hate calling names anyhow. It shows lack of decency, intelligence and respect in general. And you show everybody you're on the losing side of the argument which is, with all respect, pathetic.

I respect every flyer by default. Until he proves to be not worthy of my respect. Most of them actually have a great attitude and take well meant advice from guys who know stuff. And I really wish them nothing but all the best with their Air. Nothing wrong with having a lot of fun with it.

I fly RC helis and fixed wings for over 40 years and have a certification for commercial flying with 25Kg rotorcraft (heli and drones) and I graduated pretty much because of this experience, at the age of 59. Anyone can call me an old man (see if I care) but I dare you to fly a 20Kg Heli (have you even ever seen one that big?) and keep your pants dry.
Now that's some of the real RC flying I'm talking about.

I have an official flight crew document and a medical attest with me at all times, as well as my 120 page thick operational manual. And I confess, to me it's not a hobby anymore. The pro side of the regulations hinder feeling the passion I once had. But filming with the Pro is still fun, the flying part is actually a bit boring :).

Wow that’s a very impressive resume, I’m sure your friends and family are very proud. I stand corrected you are serious about your hobbies. That doesn’t change the fact that you’re still not a real pilot. I could build a model train set, wear a conductor outfit, own a real train conductors manual and I’d still just be playing the part. Glad you’re having fun with it though but please try to stay grounded in reality. The bit about fanboyism isn’t an insult. Just calling it likes I sees it. Nobody went to the Mavic Pro forum asking for “thumbs up about their purchase. It was quite the opposite. People came here to tell everyone why the MP is so much better. Reality is they’re expensive toys.

Thank you sir...I to fly RC fixed wing and for someone to think and say that just because I fly RC ( big stuff 2m to 1/4 scale) that I'm not a "SERIOUS" pilot is just plain ignorant...you said it much better

Sorry it’s still just a hobby. Fixed wing, RC helicopters , whatever.... they’re all just expensive toys. It is fun to pretend though I agree.

I'm sure he means flying a plane that you get inside and work the controls.
That being said...I work the same controls, to operate the same Flight control surfaces that make my rc fly the same as a full scale plane...When I fly my Cessna 172 as a "HOBBY" am I any less a pilot...licensed by the faa to fly both...only difference between the two is the size...same knowledge and skill set required for both...just saying

Reactions: Air Beetle
I am also a pilot of full size, rc everything over decades, and a licensed FAA drone pilot. I think we are splitting hairs but the difference for me is if I make a SINGLE mistake in my plane, I die. I am also responsible for other souls on board who EXPECT me to fly perfectly. The skill set might be the same but the risk and responsibility is not 1/100th of flying a "real" plane. Can you imagine if some ot the flyaway pilots here flew real planes? OMG. Waiting for a GPS signal and setting your home point is akin to turning on your fuel and avoiding a stall. I have no sympathy for these pilots that can't fly in atti and yet head 100's of yards away and then whine about a proclaimed fly away.

Whether flying my hotdog experimental plane that I built or my 1946 Ercoupe with no rudder pedals and flaps, its a world of difference over rc piloting.

one button pushing and hoping that it works, generation you are obviously a part off.
'lol'

thank you. I knew you were the purist, I'm-so-elite type, like those film photographers who hated dslr users.

I know someone who's built drones to carry front and rear facing gopro cameras to shoot motorcross. Even the motorized 2 - 3 axis gimbals were DIY projects. But he doesn't go around pouncing on dji drone users now that drone technology has been given to the masses. or belittle dji drone "pilots" who rely on GPS 90% of the time, just because he can pilot large drones like they're racing drones. He doesn't feel less special. lol

also, we're probably the same age, just had a suspicion.

OMG... somebody wants me to " LUGG" around that big , heavy , bulky MAVIC PRO...why they must be crazy!...LMAO

glad you like it. I originally wrote 'phantom' but changing it to "pro" makes it more fun. air isn't that much smaller than the pro. pro still fits to any backpack. some mavic air reviews are funny that way.

I am also a pilot of full size, rc everything over decades, and a licensed FAA drone pilot. I think we are splitting hairs but the difference for me is if I make a SINGLE mistake in my plane, I die. I am also responsible for other souls on board who EXPECT me to fly perfectly. The skill set might be the same but the risk and responsibility is not 1/100th of flying a "real" plane. Can you imagine if some ot the flyaway pilots here flew real planes? OMG. Waiting for a GPS signal and setting your home point is akin to turning on your fuel and avoiding a stall. I have no sympathy for these pilots that can't fly in atti and yet head 100's of yards away and then whine about a proclaimed fly away.

Whether flying my hotdog experimental plane that I built or my 1946 Ercoupe with no rudder pedals and flaps, its a world of difference over rc piloting.
But a pilot just the same

I could build a model train set, wear a conductor outfit, own a real train conductors manual and I’d still just be playing the part.
Now that would really be sad wouldn't it? But I finally start to understand you now, I guess.
Pointless to take this any further. Let's move on.

Reactions: Frallan
Well, I think MA got a better cam. But though, the choice is dependent whether you prioritize filming or just flying, and I think filming is mostly the purpose of these drones having gimbal or cameras on it. I would say it depends which fits your style and preferences.

we're probably the same age
No we're not. In fact, when I did my PPL exam in '93 you were still crawling over the floor with your action figures (there's no shame in that, I did too at that age).

I knew you were the purist, I'm-so-elite type, like those film photographers who hated dslr users.
Why getting so personal? You really don't know anything about me. You have no idea. You wouldn't even comprehend so it seems, even if I showed you in slo motion with subtitles.:p
Please let's stop the personal attacks and take it to a higher level of mutual understanding. There are people with different backgrounds, religions, genders, eduction, age, nationality, colour, and I respect all of them as well as their respective view on the world.

But one thing remains. Flying any craft is serious. It can cause trouble on the ground and in the air. People should understand that, even if it's meant to be a toy for them, they still have the responsibility to know what to do when the auto functions stop working in mid air.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobsuruncle