DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just got MA, very disappointed in range and noise.

The specs also say it has a nicer camera which would make it more useful to a professional photographer than a pro so you can debate it both ways if you want but truthfully the Air and Pro are both just expensive grownup toys. If you think the Mavic Pro is any better you’re delusional. And sorry to break it to you but serious pilots” fly planes and helicopters not mavics.
So what I'm hearing is ...you can't be a "SERIOUS"pilot if you fly RC ?

Even if it was a "travel" drone, ?? - - - many people "travel" to neighborhoods/areas with wifi interference.

So the wifi interference is and will be a problem.

I see the Mavic Air as a "travel drone". It's compact size make it particularly useful for tossing into a backpack and going somewhere with it. Residential neighborhoods are not where one would expect to be using it, so the WiFi interference one would expect in such locations shouldn't be an issue for the vast majority of the drone uses.

This is a fun thread.
But it really comes down to the (almost basic) need people nowadays have to see the value of their purchase confirmed by others with as much 'thumbs up' as possible. For them it must be sad to see a lot of 'the others' not willing to give the Air the thumbs up. Sorry, you won't get my like for the Air for all of the reasons already mentioned in this thread. Get over it and enjoy what you bought.

Besides, there can only be one original Mavic and that's the Mavic Pro1. Groundbreaking design in all aspects at it's time (only what seems like yesterday), just like the Inspire1. I just happen to like originals. And I couldn't care less if anybody would say the Pro is bad or good. I decide for myself and really need nobody in this sad thumbs up society to tell me how I should feel about my purchase.

We live in what I call an 'accelerated consumption society' fuelled and governed by social media manipulation strategies. Not for me. I tend to use whatever I choose for a long time. Like my first Nikon SLR and DSLR, still have and use them, even though many typical consumers would call them 'not cool anymore'.
Accelerated consumption is what ultimately will destroy us. Sustainability and build quality should be brought back into designs so we could do at least 10 years or more with a product. Typically, the first generation of a product has some of these characteristics. The following versions all have to make up in profit for the original design cost. Like in the car industry, the last versions always have bigger tail lights. And the highest profit margin.

Reactions: Classic flyer

LOL. It's more the other way around. During my flight training a couple of 'real' pilots, certified for jetliners, helicopter and small aircraft, had a hard time mastering the full manual training quads, because they weren't in the cockpit themselves. Flying FPV like they (and many drone noobs) always used to do was no problem, but flying a quad VLOS, without screen, like a RC craft was a little different. They highly respected the few guys there with RC experience.

This is a fun thread.
But it really comes down to the (almost basic) need people nowadays have to see the value of their purchase confirmed by others with as much 'thumbs up' as possible. For them it must be sad to see a lot of 'the others' not willing to give the Air the thumbs up. Sorry, you won't get my like for the Air for all of the reasons already mentioned in this thread. Get over it and enjoy what you bought.

it goes both ways, really. you have people like you who spend a lot of time giving the mavic air a thumbs down each time someone give it a positive review. (maybe some people just never had a bad experience with the air..and not everyone is trying to justify their purchase. it's so easy to return stuff nowadays unless you had your drone for a while now.) so stop projecting and enjoy your out-dated drone. who cares if your bitrate is lower and your horizontal always need adjustment in photoshop or your bag is heavier especially if you have a phantom. you still have range and 3-4 minutes of extra battery life over the mavic air. that gives you time to spray shots and footage hoping you got lucky you have something useful to show everyone. get over it and enjoy what you bought.

it goes both ways, really. you have people like you who spend a lot of time giving the mavic air a thumbs down each time someone give it a positive review. (maybe some people just never had a bad experience with the air..and not everyone is trying to justify their purchase. it's so easy to return stuff nowadays unless you had your drone for a while now.) so stop projecting and enjoy your out-dated drone. who cares if your bitrate is lower and your horizontal always need adjustment in photoshop or your bag is heavier especially if you have a phantom. you still have range and 3-4 minutes of extra battery life over the mavic air. that gives you time to spray shots and footage hoping you got lucky you have something useful to show everyone. get over it and enjoy what you bought.
I don't give anything a 'thumbs down'. That's the point. Just sharing my opinion on the Air versus the Pro.
But BIG thanks for your reply. You just proved my point exactly!
And no worries, within 6 months from now your Air is outdated as well hence my accelerated consumption society theory.

Wow, this is a fun thread indeed. The OP is disappointed with his Air compared his Pro, and is more experienced than most of the people who participate in the discussion. Those just having bought an Air don't like him complaining about it.
let's carry on. Prove my point even further.

I don't give anything a 'thumbs down'. That's the point. Just sharing my opinion on the Air versus the Pro.
But BIG thanks for your reply. You just proved my point exactly!
And no worries, within 6 months from now your Air is outdated as well hence my accelerated consumption society theory.

Wow, this is a fun thread indeed. The OP is disappointed with his Air compared his Pro, and is more experienced than most of the people who participate in the discussion. Those just having bought an Air don't like him complaining about it.

"accelerated consumption theory." lol heard of the term technological progress?

again, not everyone has a bad experience with mavic air or can compare it to a phantom. so why keep trying to convince everyone their drone suck balls just because you didn't like it.

it's like you bought the new D850 and then "beach" and moan that it doesn't perform like the D4 "PRO!" lol
even if the D850 has more focus points.

you said you decide for yourself. why don't you let people do the same for their air. but you really think everyone just trying to justify their bad purchase. lol you're so full of yourself, old man.

they're tools designed for a specific purpose (and to fill the price gap) but they're good enough for travelling (I'm not sure how often you leave the country but most people nowadays do it 3-4 times a year) you really want them to lug around a mavic pro? lol

again, not everyone has a bad experience with mavic air or can compare it to a phantom. so why keep trying to convince everyone their drone suck balls just because you didn't like it.

it's like you bought the new D850 and then "beach" and moan that it doesn't perform like the D4 "PRO!" lol

you said you decide for yourself. why don't you let people do the same for their air. but you really think everyone just trying to justify their bad purchase. lol you're so full of yourself, old man.

they're tools designed for a specific purpose (and to fill the price gap) but they're good enough for travelling (I'm not sure how often you leave the country but most people nowadays do it 3-4 times a year) you really want them to lug around a mavic pro? lol

Only joined yesterday and already calling names?
Typical indeed.
This 'old man' is amused with the 'instant gratification demanding, one button pushing and hoping that it works, generation you are obviously a part off.

'lol'

This is a fun thread.

Besides, there can only be one original Mavic and that's the Mavic Pro1. Groundbreaking design in all aspects at it's time (only what seems like yesterday), just like the Inspire1. I just happen to like originals. And I couldn't care less if anybody would say the Pro is bad or good. I decide for myself and really need nobody in this sad thumbs up society to tell me how I should feel about my purchase.

We live in what I call an 'accelerated consumption society' fuelled and governed by social media manipulation strategies. Not for me. I tend to use whatever I choose for a long time. Like my first Nikon SLR and DSLR, still have and use them, even though many typical consumers would call them 'not cool anymore'.
Accelerated consumption is what ultimately will destroy us. Sustainability and build quality should be brought back into designs so we could do at least 10 years or more with a product. Typically, the first generation of a product has some of these characteristics. The following versions all have to make up in profit for the original design cost. Like in the car industry, the last versions always have bigger tail lights. And the highest profit margin.
Smartly stated sir...well done!!

OMG... somebody wants me to " LUGG" around that big , heavy , bulky MAVIC PRO...why they must be crazy!...LMAO

Reactions: Lake_Flyer

You’re on the right track . What I’m saying is if you fly an RC you’re not a pilot at all, you’re just some guy flying an RC. Sorry to kill the illusion. Anyone with two thumbs and half a brain can fly these things. Just because your toy flies further and longer doesn’t make it any less of a toy, sorry. Glad you’re having fun with your hobby though.

Last edited:
This is a fun thread.

I think it more comes down to DJI released a newer model that exceeds the older model in some respects and lags behind in others. Both are good products but people who have the older tech need to feel superior since they spent so much money a product that is now old news. It is 100% fanboyism.

You’re on the right track . What I’m saying is if you fly an RC you’re not a pilot at all, you’re just some guy flying an RC. Sorry to kill the illusion. Anyone with two thumbs and half a brain can fly these things. Just because your toy flies further and longer doesn’t make it any less of a toy, sorry. Glad you’re having fun with your hobby though.
Well Mr pilot...the only difference in the aircraft is the size...they function exactly the same, the same laws of physics apply, the same skill sets apply...and as someone else mentioned earlier "FULL SCALE" pilots have a difficult time flying RC when they first start...so don't be so impressed with yourself and think RC pilots are just big kids playing with expensive "TOYS"...not true...same skills different size aircraft!!

I'm an Architect...

I think it more comes down to DJI released a newer model that exceeds the older model in some respects and lags behind in others. Both are good products but people who have the older tech need to feel superior since they spent so much money a product that is now old news. It is 100% fanboyism.

You nailed it. Sad, really.

It goes to show many people have no idea what RC flying really is. Would you ever have taken to the skies if there weren't selfie drones? Don't think so. If you think you're flying RC with an Air, (or a Pro) well..... But you said it yourself, half a brain and two thumbs and one immediately wants to be one of the big boys. You can't become an RC pilot in just a couple of weeks. Lot of stick time with various crafts of various sizes standing next to a licensed club instructor does the job.

And I certainly will never say that everyone who thinks different is a fanboy. Hate that word. BIG NO!.
I hate calling names anyhow. It shows lack of decency, intelligence and respect in general. And you show everybody you're on the losing side of the argument which is, with all respect, pathetic.

I respect every flyer by default. Until he proves to be not worthy of my respect. Most of them actually have a great attitude and take well meant advice from guys who know stuff. And I really wish them nothing but all the best with their Air. Nothing wrong with having a lot of fun with it.

I fly RC helis and fixed wings for over 40 years and have a certification for commercial flying with 25Kg rotorcraft (heli and drones) and I graduated pretty much because of this experience, at the age of 59. Anyone can call me an old man (see if I care) but I dare you to fly a 20Kg Heli (have you even ever seen one that big?) and keep your pants dry.
Now that's some of the real RC flying I'm talking about.

I have an official flight crew document and a medical attest with me at all times, as well as my 120 page thick operational manual. And I confess, to me it's not a hobby anymore. The pro side of the regulations hinder feeling the passion I once had. But filming with the Pro is still fun, the flying part is actually a bit boring :).

It goes to show many people have no idea what RC flying really is. Would you ever have taken to the skies if there weren't selfie drones? Don't think so. If you think you're flying RC with an Air, (or a Pro) well..... But you said it yourself, half a brain and two thumbs and one immediately wants to be one of the big boys. You can't become an RC pilot in just a couple of weeks. Lot of stick time with various crafts of various sizes standing next to a licensed club instructor does the job.

And I certainly will never say that everyone who thinks different is a fanboy. Hate that word. BIG NO!.
I hate calling names anyhow. It shows lack of decency, intelligence and respect in general. And you show everybody you're on the losing side of the argument which is, with all respect, pathetic.

I respect every flyer by default. Until he proves to be not worthy of my respect. Most of them actually have a great attitude and take well meant advice from guys who know stuff. And I really wish them nothing but all the best with their Air. Nothing wrong with having a lot of fun with it.

I fly RC helis and fixed wings for over 40 years and have a certification for commercial flying with 25Kg rotorcraft (heli and drones) and I graduated pretty much because of this experience, at the age of 59. Anyone can call me an old man (see if I care) but I dare you to fly a 20Kg Heli (have you even ever seen one that big?) and keep your pants dry.
Now that's some of the real RC flying I'm talking about.

I have an official flight crew document and a medical attest with me at all times, as well as my 120 page thick operational manual. And I confess, to me it's not a hobby anymore. The pro side of the regulations hinder feeling the passion I once had. But filming with the Pro is still fun, the flying part is actually a bit boring :).
Thank you sir...I to fly RC fixed wing and for someone to think and say that just because I fly RC ( big stuff 2m to 1/4 scale) that I'm not a "SERIOUS" pilot is just plain ignorant...you said it much better

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J