DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just got MA, very disappointed in range and noise.

Just received a MA and first impressions are I'm rather disappointed.

I saw a few reviews on YT that actually mentioned that it was quieter than the MP and prior Phantoms.
It's not, it sounds almost as bad as a racing drone to me. My prior quads I fly around my neighborhood for several years and never a problem from anyone. This one I can see some trouble coming to be quiet honest - even my daughter said it was loud on the first flight and she mentioned about the YT videos as well.

The other concern is every darn one of the radio channels on the 2.4ghz range are showing them being cluttered with noise; to the point I start getting breakup even starting 300 feet out with VLOS.

The 5.8 channels are not available to me like the YT videos show on how to access them I use an IOS device

I really want to like this little guy, the noise is an issue but the wifi issues are even bigger for me.

I stopped reading at the mention of " flying around my neighborhood "
That sounds totally illegal...where did you say you lived ???

I wouldn't call it a toy, or a $200 drone. All of DJIs products are overpriced, but when you are making the best products out there, people will pay extra for it. I don't even own the Air, just the MP, but I will say the Air is a very solid drone. It runs the same software as the MP and the P4P, so are those just toys as well? Or is it just a toy because it's not what you own?
I Don't own it because it's a "JUNKER"

Aside from getting random transmission warnings and occasional RTH's, I love the Air. But my neighbors don't. I am waiting for the the Mavic 2 before I begin flying again in the neighborhood.

Attachments

• 8%gOv2APTxy+gxdXGKcPvg.jpg
    8%gOv2APTxy+gxdXGKcPvg.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
it's way louder than the phantom as I found out last weekend, but once it's up 50ft, you can't hear it.

as for range, I never had any issues either. but i've never flown with its stock antennas. I replaced mine with the 4hawks before its first flight.

Mavic Air is like the action cam of drones. It's designed for a specific use. If you want range and hovering around for 5 extra minutes, go with the pro or phantom. With the air, (but also with other drones) you should know what shots or path you want to take prior to flight so you don't waste your battery.

Reactions: Classic flyer
it's way louder than the phantom as I found out last weekend, but once it's up 50ft, you can't hear it.

as for range, I never had any issues either. but i've never flown with its stock antennas. I replaced mine with the 4hawks before its first flight.

Mavic Air is like the action cam of drones. It's designed for a specific use. If you want range and hovering around for 5 extra minutes, go with the pro or phantom. With the air, (but also with other drones) you should know what shots or path you want to take prior to flight so you don't waste your battery.
Prior Planing Prevents Poor Performance

How difficult is the installation?

taking it apart and putting it together was easy just follow the youtube vid. removal of the oem antennas and installation of the tiny 4hawks mmcx connector was the most difficult for me.

you will need a needle nose pliers and better T6 screwdriver than what 4hawks will send you. https://amzn.to/2HP3dBc

Attachments

• IMG_5525.JPG
    IMG_5525.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5816.jpg
    IMG_5816.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 41
Call it like it is - compared to the Pro it's a toy. If any company other than DJI offered this drone it would sell for $399 or less. Take my word for it, you do not want a drone lighter than the Pro since you'll sacrifice stability and the efficiency. The specs are right in front of your eyes, its around half the weight of the Pro yet is does not have the same flight time.

As I mentioned, its just another effort for DJI to start selling toy drones to serious pilots using all the glitter of of their advertising to make you think its better than the Mavic Pro you own.

Instead of DJI offering new products, they need to introduce "New" service to take care of the pilots who put them where they are today. DJI's support "after the sale" is hands down the worst in the industry!

Regards - Mike Mas

Reactions: Classic flyer
Call it like it is - compared to the Pro it's a toy. If any company other than DJI offered this drone it would sell for $399 or less. Take my word for it, you do not want a drone lighter than the Pro since you'll sacrifice stability and the efficiency. The specs are right in front of your eyes, its around half the weight of the Pro yet is does not have the same flight time.

As I mentioned, its just another effort for DJI to start selling toy drones to serious pilots using all the glitter of of their advertising to make you think its better than the Mavic Pro you own.

Instead of DJI offering new products, they need to introduce "New" service to take care of the pilots who put them where they are today. DJI's support "after the sale" is hands down the worst in the industry!

Regards - Mike Mas
Mike I think you rocked-it...very well said !

Regards - Mike Mas

The specs also say it has a nicer camera which would make it more useful to a professional photographer than a pro so you can debate it both ways if you want but truthfully the Air and Pro are both just expensive grownup toys. If you think the Mavic Pro is any better you’re delusional. And sorry to break it to you but serious pilots” fly planes and helicopters not mavics.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54