DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just got the drone and took it for its first flight...opinions

PackManDan

Reactions
I've never owned a drone so this is all new to me. But I just received my Mavic Pro in the mail and set it all up. I launched it out of my backyard and took it for it's first flight. Nothing crazy at all, I put it about 90 meters in the air and just hovered there, scanning around with my camera. Trying to get smoother with the camera. Flew it, at most about 120 meters away from me. Kept it in the air for about 15 minutes and landed it. I was able to connect the micro SD card into my computer and viewed the video.

Couple questions:

1) The video is completely silent. I've heard videos on YouTube and they are either edited with music or you can hear the drone props moving in it. In my video it's dead silent. Any reason it isn't picking up audio?

2) During the flight I got a YouTube notification and I tried to swipe up on my phone to get rid of the notification and my phone screen went black and said something about "interrupted transmission"...I no longer had a video feed on my phone but luckily since the drone was in sight I landed it. I put it back in the air and all was fine. I get a text message and my screen goes black again and said interrupted transmission. I fly the drone back to me and as soon as it gets maybe within 20 meters of me I get the video feed back.

Any reason why when I get a text or a notification I lose my video feed? Any way to avoid that?

***** Craziest thing happened. I finished flying my drone and go onto my computer and check my emails as I normally do. There is a new message in the neighborhood group I'm in. The neighborhood I live in has a group that many neighbors are members on. I got a notification of a new post. I read the post and sure enough it says something to the effect of "whoever is flying their DJI drone over my backyard, please stop it. This is a serious invasion of privacy"

Can't believe I've only had the drone in the air for 10 minutes and already getting a form of a complaint. I don't appreciate the fact that he makes it seems like I'm spying on him. I wasn't flying over anyone's backyard to look into it. I was just test flying. But if you fly in a neighborhood you'll surely be flying over "someone's" backyard at any given moment. Any thoughts on this?

I was thinking about messaging the guy that made the post. Not to be an *** or anything, just to explain to him that I certainly wasn't "spying" on anyone and was just taking it for a test flight. What do you guys think?

The mavic has no microphone. Only the low res video cached on the mobile device has audio and thats from the devices microphone. The full resolution image off the drone will be silent.

As for notifications, many people suggest fly in airplane mode to stop this sort of thing.

The mavic has no microphone. Only the low res video cached on the mobile device has audio and thats from the devices microphone. The full resolution image off the drone will be silent.

As for notifications, many people suggest fly in airplane mode to stop this sort of thing.

Flying in airplane mode is a good suggestion. My main point of mentioning it was just to see if it's normal and if it happens to everyone who gets a notification during flight. Sounds from your response like it is normal.

I've never owned a drone so this is all new to me. But I just received my Mavic Pro in the mail and set it all up. I launched it out of my backyard and took it for it's first flight. Nothing crazy at all, I put it about 90 meters in the air and just hovered there, scanning around with my camera. Trying to get smoother with the camera. Flew it, at most about 120 meters away from me. Kept it in the air for about 15 minutes and landed it. I was able to connect the micro SD card into my computer and viewed the video.

Couple questions:

1) The video is completely silent. I've heard videos on YouTube and they are either edited with music or you can hear the drone props moving in it. In my video it's dead silent. Any reason it isn't picking up audio?

2) During the flight I got a YouTube notification and I tried to swipe up on my phone to get rid of the notification and my phone screen went black and said something about "interrupted transmission"...I no longer had a video feed on my phone but luckily since the drone was in sight I landed it. I put it back in the air and all was fine. I get a text message and my screen goes black again and said interrupted transmission. I fly the drone back to me and as soon as it gets maybe within 20 meters of me I get the video feed back.

Any reason why when I get a text or a notification I lose my video feed? Any way to avoid that?

***** Craziest thing happened. I finished flying my drone and go onto my computer and check my emails as I normally do. There is a new message in the neighborhood group I'm in. The neighborhood I live in has a group that many neighbors are members on. I got a notification of a new post. I read the post and sure enough it says something to the effect of "whoever is flying their DJI drone over my backyard, please stop it. This is a serious invasion of privacy"

Can't believe I've only had the drone in the air for 10 minutes and already getting a form of a complaint. I don't appreciate the fact that he makes it seems like I'm spying on him. I wasn't flying over anyone's backyard to look into it. I was just test flying. But if you fly in a neighborhood you'll surely be flying over "someone's" backyard at any given moment. Any thoughts on this?

I guess all these idiots complaining about drones won't be ordering from Amazon when they start delivering by drone.

If you're using an Apple device make sure to turn off notifications for those pesky apps. There's nothing more panic inducing when a message pops up on your screen. Touching the message often launches the app.

Early days of multirotor drones had GoPros attached and you would get the sound of the motors and props. It was also a good way of finding out if there were issues during flight.

There isn't a microphone on the Mavic. Just straight video. On DJI Go app there is a feature that allows you to record audio from your phone/tablet. You'll hear the props when your up close and your comments when the unexpected happens.

You started into a hobby that people don't understand and hate. Everyone thinks you're spying on them, invading their privacy or violating their airspace. I fly in areas that limit people from seeing me launch or recover it. People were amazed and excited when this hobby was new. Now you're bound to get some unwanted attention.

Learn your craft. Have fun and practice the art of stealth. :)

Reactions: BobbyDigital
^^ Thanks for the reply. I have no issues flying in a much more open space maybe with less people. But like I said, just got the drone and wanted to test it out. I live in a crowded neighborhood in Las Vegas so there are all sorts of people here. As far as I know, it is not illegal to fly a drone in a neighborhood. Just didn't really appreciate having it for 10-15 minutes and already getting a complaint from someone thinking I'm spying on them or invading their privacy.

First congrats on your first drone, the Mavic is an incredible piece of technology! As for your neighbor complaining I would just take it for what it is - some blowhard that wants to put a stop to anyone having fun, the same type of person who calls the cops on the 4th of July to complain about people lighting off fireworks. It wouldn't hurt to post a pro-drone response to his message but I would not admit to being the pilot based on a single rant on a message board.

Complaint notwithstanding, you might want to find a better spot to fly where you're not flying over private residences. Privacy concerns aside, especially as a new pilot if something goes wrong you dont want you Mavic crashing down on someone's roof, car or head. I fly over my suburban neighborhood regularly but I'm careful to keep it away from the houses for this exact reason, and try to keep it over my own property the majority of the time.

Good luck with the Mavic, and remember you're an ambassador for the entire RC hobby so try to make us all look like good, responsible people just enjoying a harmless good time.

-Joe

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum