DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Keep it Tight!

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
For those of you in the forum who have read my posts, this is beating a dead horse . Nevertheless, I just received my weekly VIMEO report of viewing of my postings. This will reinforce my constant harping that most viewers do not watch our videos all of the way through. Many reasons for this, but if your video is boring, dwells a long time one scene, have poor production value, poor music, poor color renderings, and many other things, the viewer will simply turn your video immediately off. There are 58 finishes of 83 views!!! No comments, 1 like, and only .55 seconds watched! As they say in trout fishing....:tight lines." Keep your videos tight.and many other things, the viewer will simply turn your video immediately off. There are 58 finishes of 83 views!!! No comments, 1 like, and only .55 seconds watched! As they say in trtrout fishing....:tight lines." Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 6.47.05 PM.png

Last edited:
Do you have an idea of your average video length Dale ?
That would be interesting.

If you get an occasional like on Vimeo / YouTube etc, you are probably doing ok . . . even better a comment, watch or subscription !

Do you have an idea of your average video length Dale ?
That would be interesting.

If you get an occasional like on Vimeo / YouTube etc, you are probably doing ok . . . even better a comment, watch or subscription !
Lately my average video is About 3 minutes. Of course I have put major productions on there too (major travels like Madagascar, Zambia, Greece, or entire 5 week summer trip to Montana). My videos that I am recently commenting are brief, 3 minute compilations of drone and other video (Osmo Action camera, Osmo Pocket, DSLR timelapse video). The fact is, there are very few finishes, and most people tune in for about a minute. Rarely do I get a thumbs up or comment. I really do not take this personally. I have no intention of becoming a You Tuber, or to monetize. I am retired and very comfortable. The point of the submission ("Keep it Tight") was exactly that...a plea to forum submitters to shorten it up so you can be sure your entire video will be watched.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
The fact is, there are very few finishes, and most people tune in for about a minute. Rarely do I get a thumbs up or comment. I really do not take this personally. I have no intention of becoming a You Tuber, or to monetize. I am retired and very comfortable.

Yes, most viewers that click on drone videos might just be droners themselves, and hard to hold such as audience.
Vimeo and YouTube can just a good place to put your recorded footage for future reference personally I feel, for family / friends to see etc.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Just checked my YouTube account, lowish sample size as I don't even have 100 subscribers :D but my average duration is about 1m 30ish. Most of my videos are probably 2-3 minutes, so yep people aren't finishing them.

This is after making an effort not to make shots longer than about 4-5 seconds on average too. I used to be a lot worse!

I think it probably varies by content though. For instance if there's a video about something and you need to get to the end for something interesting, you'll probably finish the video. Not sure how to do that via some random drone footage though I'm afraid :p.

Anyway interesting topic.Screenshot 2020-04-21 at 09.47.46.png

@MAvic_South_Oz
Personally if I click on a YT video and find it was a "clickbait" thumbnail I immediately leave it. The thumbnails should be bright colors with good title to attract attention but not misleading about video topic.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
You are correct and I am most guilty. Lately it’s due to my excessive experimentation with post processing. Haven’t gotten a call from Ron Howard yet, and don’t expect to.

Good clickbait thumbnails are a must on Youtube I think ? ? ;)

That top "lockdown" video was by far my most clickbait video and thumbnail! :D. Well maybe not clickbait as such, but controversial topic.

Sadly it worked and I got more views than normal (and also a bit of online abuse with one guy threatening to shoot down my drone with a catapult :mad:).

Going to stick to non-clickbait stuff in the future as it's not worth the hassle.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
@MAvic_South_Oz
Personally if I click on a YT video and find it was a "clickbait" thumbnail I immediately leave it. The thumbnails should be bright colors with good title to attract attention but not misleading about video topic.

Yes, I think most do, why the ;)
I can look at most topics now and pic a clickbait thumbnail.
Joshua B got me with his 160mph drone one the other day though, he only went to 100mph (so he says, lol).

Thank you! I agree. I enjoy watching the videos and try to learn from them, but many are just too long. Also, I personally don't like vocals added as music.

I am very guilty of not watching videos to the end and here is why:

1. I have a short attention span. I really like videos that are a max of 2-3 minutes. I can only watch the same train on the same tracks for a little bit.

2. Bandwidth - I watch the majority of these videos while on break/lunch at work. These videos count against my data per month. Again why I like videos in the 2-3 minute range.

3. Sometimes it’s the overpowering music that’s added. No need for headbanging rock while watching a video of a bridge.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr James