DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ken Heron claims RID is cancelled - For Now...

Attachments

• RID deferement.pdf
    485.3 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: MS Coast
Doesn't matter to me. The M3P has it built in, my Air2 does not and I WILL NOT BE BUYING A MODULE THAT COSTS $200. Screw it. What's the worst that will happen (if ANYTHING)? I get a warning. If guys like the Phili moron had dozens of letters before they took action (and he was doing way more dangerous things) then I don't think anyone has to worry about anything other then a stern talking to.

Reactions: djwak59
Doesn't matter to me. The M3P has it built in, my Air2 does not and I WILL NOT BE BUYING A MODULE THAT COSTS $200. Screw it. What's the worst that will happen (if ANYTHING)? I get a warning. If guys like the Phili moron had dozens of letters before they took action (and he was doing way more dangerous things) then I don't think anyone has to worry about anything other then a stern talking to.
The Air2 will be RID compliant via firmware update by the end of the month.

Since when do we worry about nebulous maybes?
Pretty much ever since 9/11. TSA has to make sure Grandma's shoes are not full of plastic explosives, etc.
As I said earlier, "nefarious" was a bit strong, and meant more tongue in cheek.
If the laws were working, would we need RID?

Anyway, my point about add-on RID modules: They are not going away. We clearly need them for our hand made drones, and for RC planes and helicopters - which have a much longer life in the air than most DJI drones.
There is no reason to exempt older drones. My opinion.
Other's opinions differ. {Shrugs}

The RID module I got for my M2P works really well. I ordered it early on during a 1-day sale as DJI didn’t announce yet that they would be updating RID on the M2P. But I’m glad I got it! In fact, there’s some other unseen benefits to using it. I tried an experiment with it - If my drone ever goes down somewhere and I can’t find it, it is easy to find with the RID tag, in fact, just as far and easier than with my Marco Polo tag and a lot less expensive as well.

I have always thought it funny that People think that just because the F.A.A implemented RID all of a sudden the police would swoop down on every park and flying field looking for non compliance.
First of all, the police do not enforce federal law and, When asked by the FAA to help- The Police depts nationwide replied unanimously that the FAA should hire their own officers and that they are already to busy to go around enforcing Aviation Regulations.
If you fly A drone that is over 250g Recreationaly and you decide to Fly without RID after the law comes into effect, The truth is ( while you are breaking the law and you could very well be fined ) you will never know the difference and you will still be able to fly.
RID is just a license plate for your Drone and the people effected by it Honestly are Part 107 Pilots that after the Deadline MUST comply completely or face losing your insurance.
If you Fly recreational Definatly put a module on your list to get( if needed) But if you decide to Fly without it basically the only person that knows will be you ( but you still should obey the law)
If you Fly commercially the Deadline means that you cannot work until you are compliant. thats only because your insurance company requires you to be legal. - NOT because the new FAA Drone Squad will rush from the bushes and start writing tickets.
The Fact is you will never see an FAA official- just like today. The FAA is pretty busy, They also have to worry about all those airplanes in the sky.
The FAA has not hired millions of new employees to scan every park or open area in the country for Drone pilots. and it has not received any more of a budget than usual.
I don't like the remote ID at all due to the fact that anyone with a smart phone knows exactly where I am at. Twice now I have had a Karen locate me on their phone and come tell me how and where I am allowed to fly. It's dangerous in my opinion...... I was legally flying doing nothing wrong in open airspace........ if it did not show my location I would somewhat agree with it if only the drones location was shown. I fly a Air 2s

• Angry
Reactions: rickmurray1989
I don't like the remote ID at all due to the fact that anyone with a smart phone knows exactly where I am at. Twice now I have had a Karen locate me on their phone and come tell me how and where I am allowed to fly. It's dangerous in my opinion...... I was legally flying doing nothing wrong in open airspace........ if it did not show my location I would somewhat agree with it if only the drones location was shown. I fly a Air 2s
How do you know she located you on her phone, did she tell you about the app or did you see it in use? Details please.

She walked up to my yard after parking across the street with her phone in hand. Showing me that she knows it's me flying...... both times the sheriff's dept was called and both times I had to educate the deputy which they were way cool and understanding. The deputies both times said they were going to educate said Karen. That is not the point though what if the Karen was a psycho with a gun? The license plate on my car..... normal citizens cannot find out where it's registered too......all they can see is only the owner info. That's how it should be with drones if it is a so called license plate

Last edited:
Reactions: Jam0ne
She walked up to my yard after parking across the street with her phone in hand. Showing me that she knows it's me flying...... both times the sheriff's dept was called and both times I had to educate the deputy which they were way cool and understanding. The deputies both times said they were going to educate said Karen. That is not the point though what if the Karen was a psycho with a gun? The license plate on my car..... normal citizens cannot find out where it's registered too......all they can see is only the owner info. That's how it should be with drones if it is a so called license plate
Thanks for letting us know. RID isn't even official yet and it seems you've already been confronted by person with the app detecting you flying with RID active in your drone and flying from your home. :(

With all due respect, he isn't as "respected" as you may think. Several of us who have been around a long time don't share that sentiment in the least. That's all I'll say about KH.
This is 2023. I’m not aware of anyone who’s universally 'respected.’

Last edited:
Reactions: umanbean
I absolutely hate YouTubers that claim to be experts then give information like this when in fact the FAA web site even states (as of this post) that it's still September 16th. I don't care who or how the person found out the information but until it's posted on the FAA site or a press release was put on the site then it's not official. While I agree Remote ID currently is a joke we really don't know how law enforcement will handle a Karen that complains and how well trained law enforcement may be regarding use of remote ID. If the FAA doesn't in fact make this an official cancelation and law enforcement decides to question someone because of Karen call you'll be on the hook for not being compliant. Some poor newbie is going to see a YouTuber say it's canceled and never do the additional research and might in fact get caught up in a awkward situation regarding their lack of compliance.

Reactions: umanbean and Torque
I absolutely hate YouTubers that claim to be experts then give information like this when in fact the FAA web site even states (as of this post) that it's still September 16th. I don't care who or how the person found out the information but until it's posted on the FAA site or a press release was put on the site then it's not official. While I agree Remote ID currently is a joke we really don't know how law enforcement will handle a Karen that complains and how well trained law enforcement may be regarding use of remote ID. If the FAA doesn't in fact make this an official cancelation and law enforcement decides to question someone because of Karen call you'll be on the hook for not being compliant. Some poor newbie is going to see a YouTuber say it's canceled and never do the additional research and might in fact get caught up in a awkward situation regarding their lack of compliance.
It wouldn't be the first time someone has heard about a rumor on the internet and then get caught with their pants down in the real world. Everyone who has said it has made it clear that this is nothing more than a rumor and let's be honest, you didn't first hear about RID from Ken so he should be your last word. I think it fair to say at this point, the internet can't be responsible for misinformation any longer.

When the date arrives and RID is not really cancelled and the YTers announce the time has come to broadcast your details, it's go time, and you ignore that and simply go by the "rumor" you heard two weeks ago....that's gonna be on you.

Reactions: Torque
I have always thought it funny that People think that just because the F.A.A implemented RID all of a sudden the police would swoop down on every park and flying field looking for non compliance.
First of all, the police do not enforce federal law and, When asked by the FAA to help- The Police depts nationwide replied unanimously that the FAA should hire their own officers and that they are already to busy to go around enforcing Aviation Regulations.
I recommend watching the video posted by mavic3usa. The video was taken in Arizona which has a drone law which states in pertitnent part, its a crime in Arizona to violate any FAA drone law or regulation. Several other states have an identical law. So, if the FAA prohibits flying BVLOS, then do it anywhere in Arizona and you are committing a crime under state law which any state LEO can arrest you for. The common notion that no one in the world can tell a drone pilot what they can or cannot do with a drone in the USA except for the FAA is inaccurate. So is the notion that state and local LEOs want or expect the FAA to be sole enforcers of drone law which everyone knows is impossible.
Sure feels like it though:

Despite the disdain expressed here for "auditors," this is an informative video. My impression is the "Gilbert Bystander" was not himself an "auditor" looking for confrontation with the police. Rather, an "auditor" found out about the interaction and requested the video and some details from the drone flyer and then prepared his own analysis and commentary. Both the police officers and the drone pilot were reasonably well informed and I am surprised the guy avoided an arrest. Its a shame we did not get to see the entire interaction because it looked like it was getting worse for the pilot as the discussion continued but apparently he turned it around.

Reactions: mavic3usa
I recommend watching the video posted by mavic3usa. The video was taken in Arizona which has a drone law which states in pertitnent part, its a crime in Arizona to violate any FAA drone law or regulation. Several other states have an identical law. So, if the FAA prohibits flying BVLOS, then do it anywhere in Arizona and you are committing a crime under state law which any state LEO can arrest you for. The common notion that no one in the world can tell a drone pilot what they can or cannot do with a drone in the USA except for the FAA is inaccurate. So is the notion that state and local LEOs want or expect the FAA to be sole enforcers of drone law which everyone knows is impossible.

Despite the disdain expressed here for "auditors," this is an informative video. My impression is the "Gilbert Bystander" was not himself an "auditor" looking for confrontation with the police. Rather, an "auditor" found out about the interaction and requested the video and some details from the drone flyer and then prepared his own analysis and commentary. Both the police officers and the drone pilot were reasonably well informed and I am surprised the guy avoided an arrest. Its a shame we did not get to see the entire interaction because it looked like it was getting worse for the pilot as the discussion continued but apparently he turned it around.

If you fly A drone that is over 250g Recreationaly and you decide to Fly without RID after the law comes into effect, The truth is ( while you are breaking the law and you could very well be fined ) you will never know the difference and you will still be able to fly.
RID is just a license plate for your Drone and the people effected by it Honestly are Part 107 Pilots that after the Deadline MUST comply completely or face losing your insurance.
If you Fly recreational Definatly put a module on your list to get( if needed) But if you decide to Fly without it basically the only person that knows will be you ( but you still should obey the law)
If you Fly commercially the Deadline means that you cannot work until you are compliant. thats only because your insurance company requires you to be legal. - NOT because the new FAA Drone Squad will rush from the bushes and start writing tickets.
The Fact is you will never see an FAA official- just like today. The FAA is pretty busy, They also have to worry about all those airplanes in the sky.
The FAA has not hired millions of new employees to scan every park or open area in the country for Drone pilots. and it has not received any more of a budget than usual.
YES ! Finally someone to speak out about the way that, I think, MOST of us feel, but might be afraid to admit it.
Don’t do stupid things and you should be fine.
A big thank you for posting this. 😊

I’m confused, something many who know me would say seems to be my perpetual state.

It’s this lady, ”Karen,” who seems to be popping up in so many posts.

Is this the same “Karen” who assisted police in the investigation of the mugging of a mailman in New Jersey?

Is this the same “Karen” (actually a man) who stuck up for a young woman here in Virginia who had a male trying to steal her cellphone? This “Karen” was stabbed and died from his wound.

Maybe it’s the “Karen” who keeps an eye on her neighborhood children as they wait for the bus.

Then again it might be the many “Karens” who willingly show up at the trials of wrongdoers to testify to what they saw.

I’m confused by this demonization and feminization of people who pay attention to what is going on around them, and, while sure, maybe somewhat the busybody at times, are the neighbors we depend on when we are the victims of a wrongdoer.

And are people we really vilify when they turn a blind eye to suspicious behavior and ignore someone committing a crime.

I come to this forum for insights and tips on all the technical and legal aspects of drone flying, not to be subject to tirades from people, even though often provoked by uninformed observers, on encounters that could be resolved with patient education of those uninformed individuals.

If you’re flying a drone, unfortunately or not, you are a representative of the whole community of drone flyers. You’ve had a modicum of education about drones. Share it.

If you’re not doing anything wrong and obeying the rules, you have nothing to fear.

You‘ve also learned how it feels to be challenged as a “suspicious“ stranger in that neighborhood.

I know it‘s offensive and embarrassing, but being polite and friendly in its face shows your knowledge, understanding, and maturity.

It also, for me anyway, takes the whine out and brings credibility to your post.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard