DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

KPLC 7NEWS: Drone operators required to have Remote ID by Sept. 16

I think it is more likely that it was assumed that DJI (among others) would be able to make firmware updates that would enable RID on the drones...I know I asked about RID here on the forum last March and all the responses I get were to wait for DJI to make the announcements and update my firmware......it never happened...so the FAA was not the only one caught off guard.
Overall, if you consider the range and scope of the responsibility of the FAA, they are actually quite well run and organized.....I wish they had the authority to make airports have a clean area to sit down and put your shoes back on after going through that preflight check on commercial flights 😂
I agree with your sentiments. I think they're a pretty well run organization as compared to other federal agencies like the IRS or DHS.

I agree with your sentiments. I think they're a pretty well run organization as compared to other federal agencies like the IRS or DHS.
Unfortunately the airlines or the commercial aviation industry is one of the worse infrastructure markets in the country when it comes to the public's flying experience. It is rife with corruption and confusion, the equipment and ticketing systems are old and unsafe and a leftover from the 70s, there is very little oversight when it comes to airlines companies, and the world's biggest airline disaster is just one air traffic controller's nightmare away due to incompetence, indifference, inexperience, and antiquated systems, and other external pressures (like weather and profit) wholly unrelated to the traveling passenger who has little choices since there are no trains, no busses, and no boats as an alternative. Whether we are talking about flight crew authority, baggage, delays and cancellations, or no fly lists, we need a new passenger bill of rights. TSA is a nightmare and we are just one incident away from another security disaster; we're all just marking our time. There isn't a single person who looks forward to enjoying a pleasant flight to their destination. This is your FAA, wake up and bring us into the 21st century.

It actually hasn't been delayed at all. The only thing that changed is "the FAA will exercise its discretion in determining how to handle any apparent noncompliance". That yes I should doesn't mean you can be non-compliant on purpose if there is nothing preventing you from being compliant.
It actually hasn't been delayed at all. The only thing that changed is "the FAA will exercise its discretion in determining how to handle any apparent noncompliance". That doesn't mean you can be non-compliant on purpose if there is nothing preventing you from being compliant.
Correct. I should have said “ delayed enforcement “

Reactions: msinger
Its a phased implementation. Since its been on most new drones in the last two years, its required on all drones that support it natively and they are giving you a six month extension to get it on other drones (over 250G) due to cost and availability of modules.

Does the Air 2 need this RID?
Yes. All drones heavier than any of the stock Minis need RID.

what happens if you don't have it?
As noted here, DJI is planning on releasing a firmware update to add RID support to the Air 2 by September 30th. Nothing will happen in the meantime if you fly before that firmware is available.

They have absolutely NO choice but to delay. They dropped the ball on how many RID units would be needed and how they would be supplied. Typical for the FAA.
If there was a ball dropped, it was by companies who failed to design and produce RID modules in time for the deadline.

It's not the FAA's role to figure out how many drones would need modules and force manufacturers to produce them. That would be roundly denounced as big government meddling in private business.

The FAA established the 9/15/23 date a long time ago. There was ample advance notice. There's no new technology required to produce the modules. The private sector just failed to step forward to meet a known need and deadline.

The FAA hasn't "changed their mind again." They're cutting a break for drone pilots with noncompliant drones who haven't been able to buy a module. That's a good thing.

Has anyone actually been inconvenienced by the RID implementation and enforcement delay? I have not. And even if I had a non-compliant drone, I'd have no reason to complain about the FAA's actions.

Reactions: anotherlab
So, besides being illegal. If I don't have the firmware updated after the cutoff date will my drone still fly? All of my flying is in a VERY rural area.

Last edited:
If there was a ball dropped, it was by companies who failed to design and produce RID modules in time for the deadline.

It's not the FAA's role to figure out how many drones would need modules and force manufacturers to produce them. That would be roundly denounced as big government meddling in private business.

The FAA established the 9/15/23 date a long time ago. There was ample advance notice. There's no new technology required to produce the modules. The private sector just failed to step forward to meet a known need and deadline.

The FAA hasn't "changed their mind again." They're cutting a break for drone pilots with noncompliant drones who haven't been able to buy a module. That's a good thing.

Has anyone actually been inconvenienced by the RID implementation and enforcement delay? I have not. And even if I had a non-compliant drone, I'd have no reason to complain about the FAA's actions.
The only part I have to disagree with you would be since the FAA is actually approving every single broadcast module then they ARE ultimately responsible for dropping the ball. For all we know, they disapproved thousands and thousands of modules until the private sector just gives up and nobody wants to get into that business. So let's not pretend this is a private sector issue not stepping up to the plate; anytime you have any amount of government involvement (especially final approval), you expect this type of outcome: one that is less than ideal, poor implementation, sloppy, and needing all kinds of help for people to understand. Have you see the rules on what it takes to get approved?

So the government admitted they dropped the ball on FRIAs but no way are they going to admit it about broadcast modules. Why? Because it likely didn't happen that way; it is likely the government just didn't have the opportunity to bounce a lot applications. But the fact that you had to do business with government is likely enough to cause businesses not to want to get involved in the entire process because (for various reason), they can tell it's just a losing proposition. Not wanting to do business with the government regulations is always a hurdle that take time to get over and a year or two is not enough; don't expect cheap modules to come flooding the market in 2024. If 2024 is not the year of the module, then you can't make a penny in 2025 it will be too late.

It *is* the job of the government to count the number of modules needed when they work this project and if they pass laws that require it. And with this latest notification, they miscalculated again. Today, there are nearly a million modules needed if you have to outfit the various DJI drones that require one today. Tomorrow, there will be less than half a million modules needed for the few remaining drones that didn't gain standard RID by the end of year. The broadcast module market was just cut in half, so who do you think wants to jump into that failed business then? You will lose money if you only plan to be able to sell several thousands modules because you cannot get your price low enough to make it work. You sell a $50 module like the FAA promised, you likely need to sell a million modules. And then you're going to risk a second round where the FAA could extend the deadline yet again and leave you holding the bag....again? I'd rather go into business making snow plows for FPVs drones to skid closely along the ground and clear your driveway and sidewalk.

The FAA had no choice but to extend this government project. They knew the market had shrunk when DJI made the announcement. Either most drones would be grounded or they would fly without RID regardless; no one really planned to "rent" a module for 4 months. The extended enforcement is a 6-month warning shot but I believe they are still bluffing. FAA should be happy with what they got: millions of current drones with RID and millions more in the future and it's called standard RID. We'll look back one day and laugh at this piggyback module project. 😂

The only part I have to disagree with you would be since the FAA is actually approving every single broadcast module then they ARE ultimately responsible for dropping the ball. For all we know, they disapproved thousands and thousands of modules until the private sector just gives up and nobody wants to get into that business. So let's not pretend this is a private sector issue not stepping up to the plate;

So, thousands and thousands of RID module manufacturers submitted products to the FAA and were rejected?

Can you name just one?

What is the big deal? There's a new rule. Some people couldn't abide by it. The FAA let them off the hook for six months. What is the bid deal? Who has been harmed? Was there anything the FAA did with RID to prevent you from flying today? Did the RID prevent anyone from flying today?

So, thousands and thousands of RID module manufacturers submitted products to the FAA and were rejected?
For all we know, they disapproved thousands and thousands of modules until the private sector just gives up and nobody wants to get into that business.....
....it likely didn't happen that way; it is likely the government just didn't have the opportunity to bounce a lot applications.
What is the big deal? There's a new rule. Some people couldn't abide by it. The FAA let them off the hook for six months. What is the bid deal? Who has been harmed? Was there anything the FAA did with RID to prevent you from flying today? Did the RID prevent anyone from flying today?
The only part I have to disagree with you would be since the FAA is actually approving every single broadcast module then they ARE ultimately responsible for dropping the ball.

The FAA had no choice but to extend this government project. We'll look back one day and laugh at this piggyback module project. 😂

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard