DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC as a recreational pilot

DW009

Reactions
Can I use LAANC as a recreational pilot?

I'm from Europe and will be spending a week in Florida, I registered my drone with the FAA for 5$ but I obviously don't have a Part 107 license.

Is it somehow possible to use LAANC? The system seems amazing and very easy to use

Can I use LAANC as a recreational pilot?

I'm from Europe and will be spending a week in Florida, I registered my drone with the FAA for 5$ but I obviously don't have a Part 107 license.

Is it somehow possible to use LAANC? The system seems amazing and very easy to use

No - that is currently only for Part 107 operations. The rules for recreational flight are now ambiguous, because the new law has not been implemented by the FAA even though they have now (as of last week) removed the previous Section 336 guidelines from their website and substituted some of the new language. However, it is completely silent on the issue of flying recreationally in controlled airspace.

Reactions: dawgpilot and DW009
No - that is currently only for Part 107 operations. The rules for recreational flight are now ambiguous, because the new law has not been implemented by the FAA even though they have now (as of last week) removed the previous Section 336 guidelines from their website and substituted some of the new language. However, it is completely silent on the issue of flying recreationally in controlled airspace.

Thanks for the helpful reply!
What does this mean for me? I still call the airport when operating within a five mile radius of an airport?

Last edited:
Thanks for the helpful reply?
What does this mean for me? I still call the airport when operating within a five mile radius of an airport?

I don't think there is currently any alternative. Despite the new law, recreational flight is still governed by 14 CFR Part 101 subpart E until it is revised:

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Subpart E—Special Rule for Model Aircraft
Source: Docket FAA-2015-0150, Amdt. 101-9, 81 FR 42208, June 28, 2016, unless otherwise noted.
§101.41 Applicability.
This subpart prescribes rules governing the operation of a model aircraft (or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft) that meets all of the following conditions as set forth in section 336 of Public Law 112-95:
(a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(c) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;
(d) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.
§101.43 Endangering the safety of the National Airspace System.
No person may operate model aircraft so as to endanger the safety of the national airspace system.

I don't think there is currently any alternative. Despite the new law, recreational flight is still governed by 14 CFR Part 101 subpart E until it is revised:

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Subpart E—Special Rule for Model Aircraft
Source: Docket FAA-2015-0150, Amdt. 101-9, 81 FR 42208, June 28, 2016, unless otherwise noted.
§101.41 Applicability.
This subpart prescribes rules governing the operation of a model aircraft (or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft) that meets all of the following conditions as set forth in section 336 of Public Law 112-95:
(a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(c) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;
(d) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.
§101.43 Endangering the safety of the National Airspace System.
No person may operate model aircraft so as to endanger the safety of the national airspace system.

Alright thanks again!

Reads to me you just have to give the airport notice before you fly, not even get permission. I may be wrong but that the way I read it. I'm a GA pilot with 2 airstrips so I'll just start talking to myself, LOL Thumbswayup

Reactions: DW009
Reads to me you just have to give the airport notice before you fly, not even get permission. I may be wrong but that the way I read it. I'm a GA pilot with 2 airstrips so I'll just start talking to myself, LOL Thumbswayup

That's exactly correct, under current Part 101 rules.

Reactions: DW009

@sar104 @Gr8ful thanks guys!

So I just call Miami International Airport if I'm within 5 miles of the airport? (the location I want to fly at would be at 4.5 miles to be exact).

I feel strange calling a huge airport with such a small thing lol
are they used to getting calls like this a lot?

@sar104 @Gr8ful thanks guys!

So I just call Miami International Airport if I'm within 5 miles of the airport? (the location I want to fly at would be at 4.5 miles to be exact).

I feel strange calling a huge airport with such a small thing lol
are they used to getting calls like this a lot?

That would put you inside KMIA surface Class B airspace. The FAA has stated, although with dubious reasoning, that the airport notification rule only applies to Class C, D and E airports. They may attempt to deny permission on those grounds.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan