DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC not all ready

Montana John

Reactions
I was trying to get rolling with LAANCE on AirMap and Skyward during the past few days and had no success. Turns out that my local airport, Bozeman Yellowstone International (BZN) is not yet LAANC'ed in spite of the fact that faa.maps.arcgis.com shows it gridded for LAANC. I got involved with a helpful support desk at Skyward who checked it out for me. BZN is a Class D airspace, so maybe that's why it's low on the implementation list. The list of LAANC implemented airports, which appears to be kept up to date, is at FAA Facilities Participating in LAANC.

I was trying to get rolling with LAANCE on AirMap and Skyward during the past few days and had no success. Turns out that my local airport, Bozeman Yellowstone International (BZN) is not yet LAANC'ed in spite of the fact that faa.maps.arcgis.com shows it gridded for LAANC. I got involved with a helpful support desk at Skyward who checked it out for me. BZN is a Class D airspace, so maybe that's why it's low on the implementation list. The list of LAANC implemented airports, which appears to be kept up to date, is at FAA Facilities Participating in LAANC.

Thats a bummer. Glad you figured it out though

I’ve only just started using the airmaps app, absolutely brilliant, yes I know I’m behind the times but you’ve gotta start somewhere?

The facilities map shows the grids around Bozeman as red, that means it's not in LAANC yet, as you found on the list. Only green gridded airports are active in LAANC as shown in the map legend.

Reactions: tleedom
That is a bummer! FYI they should have it working soon. This morning I tried getting LAANC clearance via AirMap after reading through the new FAA guidelines here:

It was instantaneous approval.
It does seem that much of the new reg list is not implemented and no timeline was given on the website.

That is a bummer! FYI they should have it working soon. This morning I tried getting LAANC clearance via AirMap after reading through the new FAA guidelines here:

It was instantaneous approval.
It does seem that much of the new reg list is not implemented and no timeline was given on the website.

Yea but you had to answer yes to the question “is the pilot part 107 certified?” So you either have to lie or recreational pilots can’t use LAANC yet. Which is really really ridiculous. If they waited this long to implement these new rules why couldn’t they just wait until they were actually ready to do it? Or better yet just make LAANC available to recreational pilots immediately?

FAA doesn’t care about us.

Reactions: gm383 and Thomas B
Yea but you had to answer yes to the question “is the pilot part 107 certified?” So you either have to lie or recreational pilots can’t use LAANC yet. Which is really really ridiculous. If they waited this long to implement these new rules why couldn’t they just wait until they were actually ready to do it? Or better yet just make LAANC available to recreational pilots immediately?

Thumbswayup

Agree

The facilities map shows the grids around Bozeman as red, that means it's not in LAANC yet, as you found on the list. Only green gridded airports are active in LAANC as shown in the map legend.
View attachment 72633
Well, dam (notice no profanity?) if I didn't miss that little detail. I will look for the legend, or just wait until the grid turns green. Thanks for sharing that info.

If they waited this long to implement these new rules why couldn’t they just wait until they were actually ready to do it? Or better yet just make LAANC available to recreational pilots immediately?
I knew this was coming... I think everyone knew it was coming. It is the FAA being the FAA. When have their ever met a deadline where _they_ needed to do something? Never. When they have to do something or comply, they are usually about a year late. Of course when it comes to changing the rules for everyone else, it happens within days. Odd how that works.

Edit:
BTW, it is not that the FAA is not ready with the LAANC.... it is that it's being "upgraded". As usual, another lie from the FAA.

The FAA is upgrading the online system, known as LAANC (the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability), so that recreational operations can get automated airspace authorizations to fly in controlled airspace.

I knew this was coming... I think everyone knew it was coming. It is the FAA being the FAA. When have their ever met a deadline where _they_ needed to do something? Never. When they have to do something or comply, they are usually about a year late. Of course when it comes to changing the rules for everyone else, it happens within days. Odd how that works.

Edit:
BTW, it is not that the FAA is not ready with the LAANC.... it is that it's being "upgraded". As usual, another lie from the FAA.

The FAA is upgrading the online system, known as LAANC (the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability), so that recreational operations can get automated airspace authorizations to fly in controlled airspace.

Exactly that’s my point is why weren’t they doing this or just wait till they had it done to enforce the new rule. Unless there’s something I don’t know about I don’t think there was any special deadline about May 17th.

Unless there’s something I don’t know about I don’t think there was any special deadline about May 17th.
Nope. It's just the FAA being the FAA. What is easy is making other people do things right away so there is some follow through. What is difficult is when they need to meet their own deadlines. So usually, they don't.

Reactions: brett8883

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada