DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing accuracy

pilot1

Reactions
My Mavic Air 2 just arrived today. I have been learning the ins and outs of it. I notice that as dusk started, the accuracy of return to home landing fell way off.
On one return to home, the drone would have landed 50 or more off the mark as it was descending. Upon takeoff, I did wait for it to say "home point recorded", yet the landing would have been way off.
Has anyone else had this problem.

My Mavic Air 2 just arrived today. I have been learning the ins and outs of it. I notice that as dusk started, the accuracy of return to home landing fell way off.
On one return to home, the drone would have landed 50 or more off the mark as it was descending. Upon takeoff, I did wait for it to say "home point recorded", yet the landing would have been way off.
Has anyone else had this problem.
Post your flight data and it will show what was the cause of this.

I had a similar problem. First landing was spot on, everything normal. The second landing almost occurred on top of my 4Runner if I hadn’t shoved the stick forward.
How far was that from the home point?

Dunno about the Air 2, though probably similar, on the M2 you have to climb straight up about 8 meters after take off, before heading out on course, to set up precision landing. Then RTH will have it landing within a few inches of take off point.

Reactions: dv8ed and KelvinFPV
Dunno about the Air 2, though probably similar, on the M2 you have to climb straight up about 8 meters after take off, before heading out on course, to set up precision landing. Then RTH will have it landing within a few inches of take off point.
This would explain my rth errors. I've only ever had it land where it took off once but I tend to take off like my race drones. Hard habit to break. Seriously can't get used to the left stick not being a throttle. I'm constantly finding myself at 400ft because it's just natural for me to "give it throttle" to stay airborne.

Reactions: TwoLiterSoda
First of do your compass calibration, second use the auto take off and let it sit there for 10 second and after you have to go up 7 meters let it sit there another 10 second and after you can go forward and I can tell you it will be spot on

Reactions: geneg
This would explain my rth errors. I've only ever had it land where it took off once but I tend to take off like my race drones. Hard habit to break. Seriously can't get used to the left stick not being a throttle. I'm constantly finding myself at 400ft because it's just natural for me to "give it throttle" to stay airborne.

The vertical climb guidance is to enable precision landing which, when it succeeds, will put the aircraft back on the ground within inches of the takeoff point.

The problem under discussion in this thread is not a problem with precision landing, because even without precision landing active, the GPS-recorded home point should be good to within a couple of meters provided that enough GNSS satellites were locked when the home point was set. A satellite count of 10 or more should be good enough. However, first home point may be set with just 7 or 8 satellites, and that could be significantly off, which is another advantage of ascending vertically - it gives the FC the opportunity to gain a good enough sky view to get an accurate home point, and that is what it sounds like you are not achieving.

First of do your compass calibration, second use the auto take off and let it sit there for 10 second and after you have to go up 7 meters let it sit there another 10 second and after you can go forward and I can tell you it will be spot on
Compass calibration unrelated to positioning and won't do anything to improve landing accuracy.

Reactions: radman and sar104
Compass calibration unrelated to positioning and won't do anything to improve landing accuracy.

Although, if the compass is wildly off and the aircraft ends up stuck in a tree, then that might be regarded as poor landing accuracy...

Thank you boblui. I tried again this morning (in a pretty stiff wind) and did make it a point to climb vertically for the recommended 7 meters. The landing was within 10 inched. I appreciate the advise. Now everyone can see who reads all the instructions and who does not LOL!!!!

I read this with interest and since the relevant experts are on this thread; I have an M2Zoom: Is there a similar height requirement for this?

Well, you obviously don't need to give it throttle to keep it airborne, but if you want the left stick to be the throttle, you can change it.

I read this with interest and since the relevant experts are on this thread; I have an M2Zoom: Is there a similar height requirement for this?

There is a user manual:

1589908067768.png

Although note that the problem originally raised by the OP had nothing to do with the precision landing function - it was an inaccurate home point.

Mine tends to set the home point before I can even get off the ground. Does it re-calibrate after you hit the 7m altitude?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flonke