DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing by grabbing drone with your hand: Is it bad for the drone?

BobbyLashley

Reactions
Just curious if landing where you basically grab the drone (while it's still hovering in the air) with your hand is bad for the drone hardware? I get a popup after I lower the drone to within reach and grab it with my hand. Then I hold the "land" button in the DJI Fly app and keep holding it until the drone propellers stop spinning.

The reason why I grab it first while it's still hovering and not hit the land button first in the app is so I don't risk getting clipped by the propellers as the drone will remain complete still.

But if it's bad for the drone, I won't do it. I don't do this all the time but sometimes I may run low on battery and won't have enough time to make it back to my landing pad.

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
We have been flying in severe winds 25 mph for years now , and none of that has effected the drone in any way so I dont think there is anything you can do to that drone while holding it in your hand that could damage it or wear it out.

The majority of people hand catch using all kinds of methods and nothing has been reported for the last couple of years with the exception of the motors racing and that is normal.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2/S in the Rain .

I let mine hover grab it and shut it down. Always have. Never an issue.

Thanks, good to know. I can't remember what the popup I was getting in the Fly app but it sounds like it's no harm to the drone by grabbing it by hand while it's still powered on and flying?

Which drone do you use?

Thanks, good to know. I can't remember what the popup I was getting in the Fly app but it sounds like it's no harm to the drone by grabbing it by hand while it's still powered on and flying?

Which drone do you use?
M2P and mini. But did with both my MP’s

M2P and mini. But did with both my MP’s
Have you ever had popup errors or messages in the app when doing this? But the DJI Go app may run differently than the Fly app.

When you say you grab your drone then power it off. I'm guessing you mean a physical power off on the drone itself without doing a landing first through the app?

• Wow
Just curious if landing where you basically grab the drone (while it's still hovering in the air) with your hand is bad for the drone hardware? I get a popup after I lower the drone to within reach and grab it with my hand. Then I hold the "land" button in the DJI Fly app and keep holding it until the drone propellers stop spinning.

The reason why I grab it first while it's still hovering and not hit the land button first in the app is so I don't risk getting clipped by the propellers as the drone will remain complete still.

But if it's bad for the drone, I won't do it. I don't do this all the time but sometimes I may run low on battery and won't have enough time to make it back to my landing pad.
It's actually probably better for the drone. It prevents debri on the ground from flying around and getting into motors or the camera gimbal. Especially on the beach with all that sand. If I'm flying in a place with lots of dust, dirt, or sand on the ground i'll often hand catch my drones. Even my EVO2, even though I know it's blades can cut to the bone, if I make a mistake. The big drones are dangerous, so be careful.

Have you ever had popup errors or messages in the app when doing this? But the DJI Go app may run differently than the Fly app.

When you say you grab your drone then power it off. I'm guessing you mean a physical power off on the drone itself without doing a landing first through the app?
I hover above eye level and slip my hand under it the grasp it. Never moving from that elevation I hold the left stick down till
the motors stop. As far as it showing errors to be honest in
all the time I have been flying when I am catching it I have never looked at the app. I am watching the drone just to be sure I keep
my fingers ?
Did my Phantoms the same other than I would just grab a skid leg.
After doing this so many times it’s just natural to me. Habit

I know this is popular but i have deep reservations. 1) you risk serious injury if the props get you (done it!) 2) if you ‘fight’ against its wishes to keep hovering you risk burning the motors out and trashing it completely (done this too!)

I hover above and in front of me out of reach. I hold my hand out below the drone and lowered it using the left stick. As it comes down, it will bounce up a bit because the sensors sense my hand. I check that everything is stable is the hover and I pull down on the left stick again and hold it until I goes into landing mode. It gently lands in my hand and i grab it firmly and hold it with my arm extended until the props stop.

I think if you grab it and it's still in flight you might get an imu error. I prefer to let it land in my hand. I don't think any harm would occur to the drone either way.

I know this is popular but i have deep reservations. 1) you risk serious injury if the props get you (done it!) 2) if you ‘fight’ against its wishes to keep hovering you risk burning the motors out and trashing it completely (done this too!)
#1 yes if your careless and don’t keep focused. Yes sometimes things happen that shouldn’t but I have never experienced that.
#2 why fight it. Yes if your holding it in a hover and try and move it up or down it’s going to try correct it’s position but why do that.
As far as burning a motor or motors your the first I have ever in over 6 years in these forums seen say that from hand catching.
Not saying it didn’t happen to you just the first time I have read that.
Folks do what’s comfortable to you. ?‍♂️

#1 yes if your careless and don’t keep focused. Yes sometimes things happen that shouldn’t but I have never experienced that.
#2 why fight it. Yes if your holding it in a hover and try and move it up or down it’s going to try correct it’s position but why do that.
As far as burning a motor or motors your the first I have ever in over 6 years in these forums seen say that from hand catching.
Not saying it didn’t happen to you just the first time I have read that.
Folks do what’s comfortable to you. ?‍♂️
Accept most of your comments - mainly cos i was unclear about exactly what circumstance ‘fighting’ it were! Having caught the props in unusual circumstances and had a good gash as a result- i tend to use a well paced helipad and RTH every time now.

(M2Z) Same as a few others here have stated, hover above eye height, hold hand beneath, down stick till it lands in your hand and motors stop. Strong winds can make it a bit tricky. My Spark, would just grab it and turn it sideways, motors stop automatically.

Never had an issue.

DON'T grab it! land it and then close your fingers. you may in occasionally have to rotate it 90 degrees. Hardly ever but it happens. The main points to me are good level footing and the drone is not drifting. In gusts it will be hopping up and down a bit. I bring it down to clear area and walk up to it at a slight angle. I like to take a good look at at eye level but I land it about shoulder level.

Accept most of your comments - mainly cos i was unclear about exactly what circumstance ‘fighting’ it were! Having caught the props in unusual circumstances and had a good gash as a result- i tend to use a well paced helipad and RTH every time now.
Landing pads and good "safe" landing locations are not going to always be there. I do a lot of waterfall droning and hand catching it is about all there is - as well as hand launching. Only time I have lightly clipped a finger was in some winds and the drone (Air2) was moving a tad bit. Had on some gloves at the time, so no damage. Usually fly with a couple other droners, so one will catch while the pilot is landing.

Never have used the "app" to land in hand. Downstick on the controller does it all. Hard to pay attention to the drone and the app at the same time, while the controller stick is pretty simple and you're using it anyway typically to land. RTH is a failsafe for me and I do not use it 99% of the time, as RTH may not be close to where I am depending on GPS signals and such in my location.

I hover above and in front of me out of reach. I hold my hand out below the drone and lowered it using the left stick. As it comes down, it will bounce up a bit because the sensors sense my hand. I check that everything is stable is the hover and I pull down on the left stick again and hold it until I goes into landing mode. It gently lands in my hand and i grab it firmly and hold it with my arm extended until the props stop.

I think if you grab it and it's still in flight you might get an imu error. I prefer to let it land in my hand. I don't think any harm would occur to the drone either way.
This is the way I do it also unless extremely windy.

That’s something I’ve never tried. Hand launching. Guess it’s like hand catching. You do it enough it’s just natural to you.
Me I like my truck though lots say steel messes up the compass.
Me not so.
Truck Pad
So is landing. I don’t mind land in the back.
Now my DJI FPV likes taking off from the hood of my truck but havn’t flown it enough to feel comfortable landing back on it.
But I will givin enough time with it ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661