DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing pads expensive?

13 bucks . It's what I use and it's perfect. It folds up and the legs are adjustable if you need it. Those landing pads don't work well in grass especially tall grass. And if you fly early the grass is usually wet too. Landing pads aren't worth the money.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/301973448370

Last edited:
IMG_0925.JPG IMG_0924.JPG I bought 7 neoprene pet bowl pads for 25 cents each at a NASCAR charity sale. I work in the office building connected to the NASCAR Hall of Fame. It actually works well for my Phantom and I think it will be perfect for the Mavic. They can be rolled up to a pretty small size and are heavy and tacky enough to not be blown around by the wind. You can order these on Amazon starting at about $12, I think. I can't believe I only paid a quarter a piece for mine. These should last me many years.

13 bucks . It's what I use and it's perfect. It folds up and the legs are adjustable if you need it. Those landing pads don't work well in grass especially tall grass. And if you fly early the grass is usually wet too. Landing pads aren't worth the money.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/301973448370
$13 is cheap enough! 2 lbs is a little heavy as my real use for a portable landing area will be for treks where I won't be close to the vehicle. Otherwise I would make one from a roll up camp table. Also, it's not very large so should I have to use the return to home function I don't want to risk it crashing by being slightly off mark and one or two arms catching. There's a review online where they couldn't get it to land on a large outdoor trash can lid and it missed the mark by about a foot.

Second, If you fly your UAV in the early morning dew the pad will keep the dew off your copter just fine.

As for the tall grass, I've always had pretty good luck tramppling grass down then staking the pad out. If I can't do this, the area is unsuitable anyways for anything other than catch landing.

But I do like the idea of a table landing area. Just hope there is ZERO breeze and the precise landing feature gets more accurate with time! Cheers!!

Thanks for that - What is the size of the pad - and has it tested out yet? If so, did the Mavic land on it?
I'm back with a new profile....the diamater is 100cm. Hope to get my Mavic around the6th of November....i'll let you know how it turns out.

I made my own landing pad using a rolling tablecloth made of wood, I painted it with a yellow base then in red the perimeter and a big M (for Mavic). It's 30x40cm, mavic should fit within it, I'm not sure if it'll be enough for the auto landing taking in consideration the landing precision, I hope to find out soon whenever DJI sends my mavic...

Attachments

• IMG_0377.JPG
    IMG_0377.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0378.JPG
    IMG_0378.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
I made my own landing pad using a rolling tablecloth made of wood, I painted it with a yellow base then in red the perimeter and a big M (for Mavic). It's 30x40cm, mavic should fit within it, I'm not sure if it'll be enough for the auto landing taking in consideration the landing precision, I hope to find out soon whenever DJI sends my mavic...

Nice idea. How is it if you place it on grass or pebbles .. will it remain flat ?

I use a simple photo light reflector - and works great
ba1882404fcd340284ea735114ba286b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Bernard - your design is simple and great contrast. Only black on yellow is higher vis. than the traditional black/blue/red on white. Should be very simple for a sign shop to print on heavy banner vinyl at 24" x 24" - and they can fold up/roll up to fit in a pocket in a backpack etc. Now if someone has that design in either Photoshop or Illustrator - any sign shop can copy it onto their machines in about 2 minutes. They can also print any color in about 10 minutes!! Let me know when someone is willing to share the file so I can take it directly to a local sign shop - that way you can get easy replacements as well!! Thanks for the design.

To add more confusion, I bought this one from Amazon, it was the cheapest, it's good-sized at about 42" and comes with a soft case to carry it in and three plastic spikes. I ended up buying three metal ones at the hardware store for less than $5 because the ground where I live is mostly "caliche" and limestone, really hard stuff, you have to pound them in sometimes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A5QLZZW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used the design posted by another member, uploaded it to Build-A-Sign and had them print it on extra heavy duty waterproof vinyl 60X60 cm (24"X24"), $22 with free shipping. If interested in ordering your own PM me and I will send you the graphic. (OP gave his permission to use graphic)

Attachments

• IMG_1599 copy.jpg
    IMG_1599 copy.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 141
Reactions: Crusader
Looks like a good design and price! Question though - anyone have any idea if this pad would fit into a Fly More Combo backpack??

As a cheap alternative why not use a door mat....it could appropriately read "Welcome Home". Cheap, padded, and heavy enough to not blow away.

I did the door mat. The recycled rubber ones have some weight to them and they lay flat in the back of my SUV. They come in all sizes. Mine is completely black. A great way to prolong the drone. I use it for all of mine and now the Mavic as well.

Has anyone tried using the box of their truck as a landing pad?

As a cheap alternative why not use a door mat....it could appropriately read "Welcome Home". Cheap, padded, and heavy enough to not blow away.

I've been eyeballing one on my back porch that is lightweight, and can be rolled up...maybe the wife won't miss it. :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3