DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing pads expensive?

Does enough air flow through these that they don't blow away due to prop wash?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I think the nylon fold up pads have tabs and some even come with stakes so they don't blow away.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Just ordered this one, also from Amazon: $23.39 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXF5Z4S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61gNHR37e4L._SL1000_.jpg
61d-xX7bH5L._SL1000_.jpg

I have on just like this. It came with some self-stick day-glow orange strips. Any idea(s) what they are for or how they should be arranged?

Does enough air flow through these that they don't blow away due to prop wash?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
Depends....I am using the bigger size. As the outside ring is bigger it has more heft to it and stays put on the ground even with higher winds. When the wind is strong enough to blow away the pad it usually is too strong to fly anyway.
Also bigger size gives more margin for error when landing in high wind!

I have the same pad. The bright colors are certainly eye catching, but the Mavic obstacle avoidance cameras appear to be monochrome. Strait contrast seems to be the important metric for the precision landing function. I've noted that planted in a green grass field, the Mavic sometimes misses the pad entirely during RTH and landing maneuvers. Wonder if strait black and white markings would be more effective.

I have the same pad. The bright colors are certainly eye catching, but the Mavic obstacle avoidance cameras appear to be monochrome. Strait contrast seems to be the important metric for the precision landing function. I've noted that planted in a green grass field, the Mavic sometimes misses the pad entirely during RTH and landing maneuvers. Wonder if strait black and white markings would be more effective.
Try flipping it over for a different contrast pattern against the background - that's why they're two different colors.

FYI, I got mine from Amazon brand-new for about $13 delivered; either wait for a deal to come along or use camelcamelcamel.com to track price and alert you.

Try flipping it over for a different contrast pattern against the background - that's why they're two different colors.

FYI, I got mine from Amazon brand-new for about $13 delivered; either wait for a deal to come along or use camelcamelcamel.com to track price and alert you.
Certainly the easy fix to try! Next time out I can experiment. I was thinking about just painting a sheet of cardboard white and paint some random pattern of black dots similar to the camera calibration pattern. Fun being nerdy playing with tech. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: newguy
A piece of 1/4" plywood or pegboard. Cut a small opening for a handle and add nylon strap for shoulder. Won't blow away. And since I am usually close to my car it can stay in the trunk. If I am at home I launch from a picnic table.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent