DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Large family of seals West Australia and how to fly over water.

John Gowland

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I added the title to add how to fly over water. I don't think I broke any protocol. If I have I will change it back.
It's a topic, perhaps more than any issue, comes up over and over. So I hope it helps.
Large family of seals West Australia. Nine seals, Mum, Dad and kids. Mavic Mini 2 the best drone to record wild life. It is quiet, has good zoom and camera. Perhaps if you had an Inspire 2 with the best camera with good zoom. But there is a bit of difference in price. For a tiny and very light but very good in high winds. To take in on holidays so easy.

Last edited:
Large family of seals West Australia. Nine seals, Mum, Dad and kids. Mavic Mini 2 the best drone to record wild life. It is quiet, has good zoom and camera. Perhaps if you had an Inspire 2 with the best camera with good zoom. But there is a bit of difference in price. For a tiny and very light but very good in high winds. To take in on holidays so easy.
Nice video, great colors, well done.

Reactions: John Gowland
Nice video, great colors, well done.
Very nice to see the Seals in that quiet patch of sand. I will say that I'm still pretty nervous about flying over Salt water here in Maine. I would like to capture the waves slamming up against the rock outcrops but the water still has me feeling a bit nervous. I my Mini2 lost connection for any reason, the Water and tide would be its new home. So I admire your courage.

Very nice!

Very nice to see the Seals in that quiet patch of sand. I will say that I'm still pretty nervous about flying over Salt water here in Maine. I would like to capture the waves slamming up against the rock outcrops but the water still has me feeling a bit nervous. I my Mini2 lost connection for any reason, the Water and tide would be its new home. So I admire your courage.
I understand and everyone feels like this. The fact is that drones, at least the DJI ones, are perfectly safe over water. So given that it is safe to do so now you can start to get confident in flying over water. So do it bit by bit. Or to put it another way slowly get your brain to accept it. So say fly a little one day and increase the distance each time you fly. But make sure it is fun, after all that is why we fly. Unless you a pro, ie do it for a living. If you did this every day you will become more confident. Then there will come a time when it is just second nature and you won't ever worry about it. The only possible problem is flying close to the water. That will take a few hundred, or so, flying time. That is when it really gets fun. If you are going to get close to the water make sure you have insurance. I have insurance and DJI care so I can take risks knowing that I will not lose out. I have lost many a drone taking risks but never lost out financially.

Reactions: Rgrimard
The fact is that drones, at least the DJI ones, are perfectly safe over water.

Over the ocean at least there are no trees, telegraph poles / wires, towers, trees, terrain, buildings, trees, people with shotguns, drone police / Karens, trees.
(Yes, where there's one tree, there are usually more !!)
Maybe the odd bridge in some places, but a pre flight check of the area should reveal those 😬

I understand and everyone feels like this. The fact is that drones, at least the DJI ones, are perfectly safe over water. So given that it is safe to do so now you can start to get confident in flying over water. So do it bit by bit. Or to put it another way slowly get your brain to accept it. So say fly a little one day and increase the distance each time you fly. But make sure it is fun, after all that is why we fly. Unless you a pro, ie do it for a living. If you did this every day you will become more confident. Then there will come a time when it is just second nature and you won't ever worry about it. The only possible problem is flying close to the water. That will take a few hundred, or so, flying time. That is when it really gets fun. If you are going to get close to the water make sure you have insurance. I have insurance and DJI care so I can take risks knowing that I will not lose out. I have lost many a drone taking risks but never lost out financially.
Thank you John for some pretty good advice on overcoming the fear of Over the Water flying. I shall practice
as you suggest. Thank you again. I do have the "DJI refresh" .....thanks again...Ron

Reactions: John Gowland
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ad60