DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Large MB 360 pano

DaveLewin

Reactions
Has anyone ever created a large 360 pano (> 100MB)? If so, what is the workflow?

The 'normal' 360 is only about 20MB, but it would be great to create a more granular / detailed view.

Many thanks.

The biggest I have created is a 46 mp from the mavic air 2. Greater than 100 mp would be a lot of pictures.
Thanks for that. I've managed to create 120MB files from 26/27 photos, which don't come out equirectangular, but can be turned into 2:1 with some photoshop manipulation. Turning that into a 360 is the bit I don't know how to do. [emoji51]

Reactions: Josiah S
I usually rely on the auto stitcher on the drone, I could probably get better results if I put raw photos together myself but I am not very "techy" and when I tried, just looking at the warped horizon I got out of the deal made me get dizzy.?

Reactions: DaveLewin
I haven't done a 360 with the Mavic, but I have with both my P4P and I2. I do it manually, shooting each image with AEB5, and try to overlap each image by at least 40%.
I then process the HDR with Photomatix, and then use PhotoShop to File-Automate-Photomerge. I use auto layout option, and then select blend images, vignette removal, content aware fill. (Not Geo Distortion!). The file is then huge, but I have a pretty good machine. I work then to adjust any flaws.
Here's are 2 360's. Pittsburgh is 401 full res (tif) and Church Pan is 1 GB. (That's from the I2)
Hope that gives you an idea of how to do it. I'm sure I could do it easier, it's just what I have developed.

Attachments

• pittsburgh-1.jpg
    pittsburgh-1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
  • church pan-1.jpg
    church pan-1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I haven't done a 360 with the Mavic, but I have with both my P4P and I2. I do it by had, shooting each image with AEB5, and try to overlap each image by at least 40%.
I then process the HDR with Photomatix, and then use PhotoShop to File-Automate-Photomerge. I use auto layout option, and then select blend images, vignette removal, content aware fill. (Not Geo Distortion!). The file is then huge, but I have a pretty good machine. I work then to adjust any flaws.
Here's are 2 360's. Pittsburgh is 401 full res (tif) and Church Pan is 1 GB. (That's from the I2)
Hope that gives you an idea of how to do it. I'm sure I could do it easier, it's just what I have developed.
Will try that, thank you.

So from what I am getting you take the picture, turn the drone slightly and then take another picture...

I've been doing it some. You can set the M2P to automatically take vertical shots (3 images) or horizontal, panoramic, or sphere (with 21+ images). You don't need to direct the drone once you've set it up. Just push the shutter button and don't touch anything else until you see the message "panorama successfully completed." You can then use the result that the Mavic automatically stitches together (which will produce a pretty small file), or you can take the individual images and stitch them together in Photoshop or another program. Fairly easy in Photoshop (File-- Automate-- Auto Merge), but it takes a while because you'll end up with real big files. This image of the Ford Rouge plant was stitched together from 21 shots and I ended up with a 245MB file.

Attachments

• dl-0604-d.jpg
    dl-0604-d.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 24
I've been doing it some. You can set the M2P to automatically take vertical shots (3 images) or horizontal, panoramic, or sphere (with 21+ images). You can use the result that the Mavic automatically stitches together (which will produce a pretty small file), or you can take the individual images and stitch them together in Photoshop or another program. Fairly easy in Photoshop (File-- Automate-- Auto Merge), but it takes a while because you'll end up with real big files. This image of the Ford Rouge plant was stitched together from 21 shots and I ended up with a 245MB file.
Awesome thank you. So how would I then turn it into an equirectangular size, for sharing (eg Facebook, Kuula). My objective, is to create really detailed 360 spherical panos. Thanks

I use Photoshop. Cropping is pretty easy to whatever ratio you want with the crop tool. Shouldn't be hard in other image editing programs, but I don't have experience with them.
Cool, will give that a go. Thanks for your input. [emoji106]

So from what I am getting you take the picture, turn the drone slightly and then take another picture...
Correct, using just yaw. The more overlap, the easier the stitch. With the P4P, I think it takes around 12 - 15 images to go 360. I try to start 180 from the object I am trying to get in the center.

Reactions: Josiah S
Try the free Microsoft Image Composite Editor. Google to find the download. I've used it for all my panoramas. Besides stitching, it gives you many different projection alternatives, cropping and export to a file. It does a fantastic job to stitching without artifacts, and it's fast too. Here is one example, a "tiny planet" projection. There were 25 or so 20mpixel images in the original. I output to a jpeg, that's why the file size is pretty small. Good luck!

Attachments

• CorteAciano.jpg
    CorteAciano.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Try the free Microsoft Image Composite Editor. Google to find the download. I've used it for all my panoramas. Besides stitching, it gives you many different projection alternatives, cropping and export to a file. It does a fantastic job to stitching without artifacts, and it's fast too. Here is one example, a "tiny planet" projection. Good luck!
Thank you [emoji106]

I haven't done a 360 with the Mavic, but I have with both my P4P and I2. I do it manually, shooting each image with AEB5, and try to overlap each image by at least 40%.
Nice work!

I tried this yesterday (AEB photos and merge them together) and it worked great! I love the result. I would say the automatic panorama feature works good, but if you want a custom pano or dont like how the auto one works, this is the way to do it!!

Has anyone ever created a large 360 pano (> 100MB)? If so, what is the workflow?

The 'normal' 360 is only about 20MB, but it would be great to create a more granular / detailed view.

Many thanks.
Take a look here in case it might be helpful to you.

Take a look here in case it might be helpful to you.

I am not the owner of this thread but i tried this and it says i have to pay to watch the whole video. Am I doing something wrong?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31