DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Laser locating system

IcySparks

Reactions
Reading lots of posts where people run out of daylight trying to find their drones.

I have cheap high powered green laser pointer which creates a highly visible beam of light I can see from a long distance.

Curious if anyone has seen or could envision a puck stuck to the top and bottom of their Mavic Pro which slow strobes highly visible beams when dark after a timer expired.

Thinking like a life vest strobe & a beam that could shoot out in a fan arc once every ten seconds.

Problem with laser is its highly illegal in most places to shine it up due to passing planes
As well as I feel like a lot of the lost mavic are due to low battery which means there is nothing to power the beam. Great idea tho

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Just get one of THESE, self contained super bright strobe light, rechargeable. So don't use this link as he is over charging, use the link provided by @nil below, much cheaper direct from the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Just get one of THESE, self contained super bright strobe light, rechargeable.
Or buy one of these from the original manufacturer: STROBON Standalone - Flytron

I purchased 3 (red, white, and green) for $42 shipped. The Amazon seller you linked looks to be selling at a significant markup.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 02.13.54.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 02.13.54.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 153
Reactions: F6Rider
I have one of the super powerful green lasers (it burns stuff) but you have to be careful where you use it, I use mine to point out and focus on things in space for Astro photography.
But if you even get seen by an airplane you can get a serious fine.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I have one of the super powerful green lasers (it burns stuff) but you have to be careful where you use it, I use mine to point out and focus on things in space for Astro photography.
But if you even get seen by an airplane you can get a serious fine.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
You have never been a A/C pilot or crew, if you ever are in a cockpit when one of these hits the poly you would never do it again, total blindness, the poly scatters the laser light over the entire shield, like lighting a sheet of plexiglass with one light from the side. The fine for hitting an A/C with a laser is $10,000, plus they arrest and book you for interfering with the operation of an A/C. Just not worth it, use a bright LED flashlight please.

Or buy one of these from the original manufacturer: STROBON Standalone - Flytron

I purchased 3 (red, white, and green) for $42 shipped. The Amazon seller you linked looks to be selling at a significant markup.
Yes, much cheaper, are you in the US? Never mind, just ordered the same, all three for almost as much as the ebay guy wanted for one, cancelled that order, thanks for the link.

Last edited:
You have never been a A/C pilot or crew, if you ever are in a cockpit when one of these hits the poly you would never do it again, total blindness, the poly scatters the laser light over the entire shield, like lighting a sheet of plexiglass with one light from the side. The fine for hitting an A/C with a laser is $10,000, plus they arrest and book you for interfering with the operation of an A/C. Just not worth it, use a bright LED flashlight please.
I have heard this... and believe it. However, I've always wondered what the big deal is unless some idiot is tracking the plane with the laser. I'm thinking that between the airplane flying somewhere between 300-600 mph and the laser pointer on the ground moving around or even on a tripod, the amount of time a laser is actually hitting the windshield must be a split second. Are you saying this is bright enough to "blind" the pilot for a significant length of time? I'm not suggesting someone do this... I'm just asking so no need for anyone to flame.

Yes, much cheaper, are you in the US? Never mind, just ordered the same, all three for less than the ebay guy wanted for one, cancelled that order, thanks for the link.
I'm in the U.S. I ordered from flytron. It took about 7 business days to get my order. I think they are the main source of the strobon. It's best to buy direct from them since there was a recall recently. You can make sure to get good ones.

I have heard this... and believe it. However, I've always wondered what the big deal is unless some idiot is tracking the plane with the laser. I'm thinking that between the airplane flying somewhere between 300-600 mph and the laser pointer on the ground moving around or even on a tripod, the amount of time a laser is actually hitting the windshield must be a split second. Are you saying this is bright enough to "blind" the pilot for a significant length of time? I'm not suggesting someone do this... I'm just asking so no need for anyone to flame.
This normally happens to low flying A/C, like small fixed or rotary wing craft, or larger jets operating near or on final to a airport. The laser actually blinds, destroys night vision, and leaves spots in your vision for up to a minute or more, this is very dangerous at low altitudes and at the high landing speed of modern Aircraft. At nigh cockpits are dark (or dimmed out) and instrument back lighting is red for the most part and the sudden brilliant green light is not good. And yes, there are a lot of idiots that do this on purpose, why, I will never know as it is really stupid.

Reactions: stealle

Yes, people track the aircraft and can hit it multiple times, even fast moving jets.

I've been intentionally hit on 20 plus ocassions while flying and its very dangerous. You are momentarily blinded and lose night vision for a good amount of time. Luckily, I've never had any permanent eyesight damage.

Currently, a lot of homes have the laser Christmas projectors in their yards. Whichever beams don't hit the house or trees go up into the air. They certainly get your attention but they do not track you and they are not as bright as most laser pointers. It is distracting though.

Yes, people track the aircraft and can hit it multiple times, even fast moving jets.

I've been intentionally hit on 20 plus ocassions while flying and its very dangerous. You are momentarily blinded and lose night vision for a good amount of time. Luckily, I've never had any permanent eyesight damage.

Currently, a lot of homes have the laser Christmas projectors in their yards. Whichever beams don't hit the house or trees go up into the air. They certainly get your attention but they do not track you and they are not as bright as most laser pointers. It is distracting though.

Yep, I used to think Las Vegas was a pain in the butt - those bright spotlights show every little imperfection in the acrylic. Makes the window a solid white glow upon getting closer to McCarran.

NOW come along consumer laser pointers. Then the green ones. What's next?

I really dig the strobes nil linked... Should be integrated into DJI drones for legal night flight. :)

Reactions: Chippie314
Reading lots of posts where people run out of daylight trying to find their drones.

I have cheap high powered green laser pointer which creates a highly visible beam of light I can see from a long distance.

Curious if anyone has seen or could envision a puck stuck to the top and bottom of their Mavic Pro which slow strobes highly visible beams when dark after a timer expired.

Thinking like a life vest strobe & a beam that could shoot out in a fan arc once every ten seconds.

Need to throw my laser genetics laser designator on it! Good idea! Be cool if you could put some high intensity reflective tape on the drone as well!

Need to throw my laser genetics laser designator on it! Good idea! Be cool if you could put some high intensity reflective tape on the drone as well!

Just get one of THESE, self contained super bright strobe light, rechargeable. So don't use this link as he is over charging, use the link provided by @nil below, much cheaper direct from the manufacturer.
One of these what? You didn't post anything.

Order from flytron, UK Company. Their service is great. One of my strobes developed a problem and they sent out a new one without question, apologising and telling me to keep old one. Great service!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCaffs10778