DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Laser pointers on drones

Red_Pyro

Reactions
Happy Sunday everyone,

I will be taking some hyperlapses of a local autumn fair and before anyone asks over a river and in accordance to the rules.

However, as I'm using light strobes my drone is very visible at night which might attract some self-declared airspace authority cowboys or other annoying people.

I was wondering if those pocket laser pointers have any effect on mavics ? Granted I will be flying high but very slow since it's an hyperlapse. Any risk whatsoever ?

Happy Sunday everyone,

I will be taking some hyperlapses of a local autumn fair and before anyone asks over a river and in accordance to the rules.

However, as I'm using light strobes my drone is very visible at night which might attract some self-declared airspace authority cowboys or other annoying people.

I was wondering if those pocket laser pointers have any effect on mavics ? Granted I will be flying high but very slow since it's an hyperlapse. Any risk whatsoever ?
It can definitely have an effect on the camera and the images you take, but the drone would not have thought so, other people may have more of an idea about that, cheers Len

I’m sure this has come up in threads before, with news articles etc.
It appears yes, the stronger lasers particularly can interfere with IR sensors, and ‘blind’ the pilots’ view on a viewing device.
A simple Google ‘laser pointer drone sensors’ brings up numerous hits.

Reactions: Red_Pyro
I myself have only seen 1 video in china where they brought down a Phantom 4 with about 50 different people hitting with a laser. I think the odds of a single laser are slim that it could pull your drone down . Because of this it would not be a concern for me .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the Water

The only thing I would really be concerned about, and this is really an off chance because of the small target in the distance, as if the laser did actually get directly into the lens and hit your sensor. It could damage your sensor. It would damage the camera but not the drone itself or its flying ability.
But I think the chances are pretty small.

The only reason I mention it is that there have been reports that digital camera sensors have been damaged at laser light shows like concerts or dance party situations where lasers are spinning all over the room.

Reactions: rickmurray1989
Uum are not lasers by their very nature are intensely directional beam of light?
Is not the purpose of a night time strobe to be visible from all points within a hemisphere or more? If so to both of the preceding questions, how would a simple laser provide that?
Also, since lasers present a danger to the eye, if they were used as a beacon intended to be seen by the pilots of aircraft would you not be endangering the eyesight of those pilots and risking Lord know's what in consequences and penalties?

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
Uum are not lasers by their very nature are intensely directional beam of light?
Is not the purpose of a night time strobe to be visible from all points within a hemisphere or more? If so to both of the preceding questions, how would a simple laser provide that?
Also, since lasers present a danger to the eye, if they were used as a beacon intended to be seen by the pilots of aircraft would you not be endangering the eyesight of those pilots and risking Lord know's what in consequences and penalties?
I believe the OP was talking about if someone on the ground deliberately pointed a laser at the drone. Not using lasers as beacons.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Happy Sunday everyone,

laser-weapon-to-shoot-down-drones_01.jpg

The US Air Force is testing the drone-killing laser system that is mounted on an all-terrain vehicle.

Don’t worry, if the above doesn’t knock you out of the sky…a $2 Dollarama hand held laser will just tickle your sensors. 😂

🇨🇦👍

• Haha
Reactions: FireAnt
It absolutely depends on the laser itself.

Of course it wouldn't take a lot to ruin your camera sensor and possibly some of the other sensors onboard if it's a fairly powerful hand laser. The vast majority of available hand lasers are woefully weak in terms of use against your UAS but be warned, if the person is intent of doing damage they could get their hands on a much more powerful laser. We have one used for High End Reef Tank maintenance that is crazy powerful even at significant distances.

laser-weapon-to-shoot-down-drones_01.jpg

The US Air Force is testing the drone-killing laser system that is mounted on an all-terrain vehicle.

Don’t worry, if the above doesn’t knock you out of the sky…a $2 Dollarama hand held laser will just tickle your sensors. 😂

🇨🇦👍
lol if my drone gets shot down by this I will have bigger worries than retrieving my footage

• Haha
Reactions: Jam0ne and RangerEd
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078