DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
Hey all, before I "list" this video
I'd like to know if what I've shot is strictly legal.
I flew under 400 feet the whole time.
Someone told me flying close to barges is like "homeland security" illegal.

Anyone have any pointers with this?
Thanks!
-Ross

Hi Ross,

The video looks amazing. Good job on that. Now for the legality part... I've got some special insight on this particular airspace & the "barge".

I fly for an airline locally. From the point of view of your video - it looks like you were well outside of 5 miles of Sea-Tac. Boeing Field (KBFI) may be close to 5 miles - depending on where you were over the bay. It looked like you were outside of the 5 mile ring though to me. I'm sure you are using AirMap or something. Everyone at least does that mostly.

From an airline pilot perspective, we fly over the west end of the bay at 3,000' and descend to about 1,900' over the shoreline of the bay when we go into Sea-Tac. My concern would be the aircraft on approach to KBFI - Boeing Field. They are a lot lower than we are... So maybe call KBFI's phone number/controllers and ask about that.

I saw a WA State Ferry in the video. I saw a merchant vessel (cargo ship). I know TSA has some interest in ferries due to their public transport role. I doubt the cargo ship is an issue. And to me it looked like you remained a reasonable distance from the ferry. I think overall, we drone pilots just have to use common sense and not be like flies to people and they will remain calm and not report us (all while staying within the law of course).

I did find some links to issues that may interest you about your specific flight:

Rules about WA State Ferries... WSDOT - Security at Washington State Ferries
Phantom Forum regarding a drone & ferry encounter.. Drone operator faces federal charges for flying too close to ferry
Inspire Forum regarding 500' separation rule.. USA - 500' rule and documentation

Private aircraft under FAA Part 91 are not allowed any closer than 500' to any person, vessel, etc. - but the drone rules are still evolving. I've spoken extensively with controllers, local FAA sUAS reps & when I ask a question, there's usually only one question that is concisely answered: You have to contact the airport/ATC if you are in 5 miles range so they have the opportunity to "deny" your proposed flight (hobby only - of course your commercial job needs a waiver). Any other questions were met with something like this.... "Well, generally, if you are following the known written rules/guidelines & not bothering anyone - your pretty safe".

Your video was awesome & it didn't look to me like you got real close to the ferry. The cargo ship was pretty close - but you weren't impeding his forward progress.

Hi Ross,

Your video was awesome & it didn't look to me like you got real close to the ferry. The cargo ship was pretty close - but you weren't impeding his forward progress.

wow! this is all incredibly helpful! thanks SO much for all the insight!

Thanks!
-Ross
The production is awesome. Good work! How do I get permission from the artist to use her work if it is at her sounds like her? It's really amazing. Has a gone commercial?

This is a really great video. Can you share specifics? Like video settings used, any ND filters? What software you used to edit? :) Anything to help us noobs learn a little bit

Sorry I see you already answered the question about settings (-1-1-1)

Theres a guy on youtube that all he does pretty much is chase cruise ships with his Phantom's and Mavics. So taking a video of a barge is totally fine.

Awesome vid. Very well done. I'd love to know more too about your process, setup, editing software, etc

Really Nice video, what song is that?
And yes you are fine.
I may be wrong (haven't looked at the B4UFLY app.) but I just can't imagine your flying in legal air space in the middle of downtown Seattle next to the space needle.. Lots of helo pads in the city + Boing

Thanks!
-Ross
Nice job! You are fine unless you are in restricted air space.

Thanks!
-Ross

amazing video! i don't know what is legal, or not on it, but nice job!

I may be wrong (haven't looked at the B4UFLY app.) but I just can't imagine your flying in legal air space in the middle of downtown Seattle next to the space needle.. Lots of helo pads in the city + Boing
Update. you were flying in 5-6 different 5 mile airport limits. Keep up the good work and none of us will be able to fly.

Ignore the Troll, and keep up the good work. Unless a jet is flying at 50ft off the water your safe. You already had a pilot who flies in the area give you the low down.

I was surprised you could get that distance on the Ferry shot. Were you flying out of Elliot Bay Marina? Impressive stuff!

Reactions: rossmoney
As more of a photographer than a drone operator (so far) I can appreciate that you did not set exposure to Auto and let the drone decide.
The video is darkish obviously because the scene was also. Setting exposure to manual kept the scene consistent and not jumping around brightness-wise. This video is great!!!

Reactions: rossmoney
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore