DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Li-po reality check...good thing i watched this video

silverdragon

Reactions
I ended up going through the entire li-po battery population that resides in my house. Well, I found over 8 li-po that are swelled and what surprised me the most, all of them i brought down to storage charge levels...

This video popped up so got me thinking..... I ended removing all potential dangerous li-po batteries from my home and in the process of learning the best way to discharge them 100%.....

Any suggestions are welcome.... I have no connections to this YouTube video author and no beneficial gain except I possibly prevented my house from burning....

the safest way is to get a large plastic bucket the black builders type is best put a couple of gallons of cold water in it and a bag of table salt give it a good mix to help dissolve the salt into the water then put the lipos into the water, if you have any that can be turned on like mavic batts turn them on before you place then in the water ,make sure that when they are in the water that none of the contacts are touching each other, after a while you will see them starting to fizz gently, just leave them in there till there is no sign of fizzing that indicates they are flat after that take them to your local battery disposal place,make sure that the bucket can not be touched by animals or children during the process ,depending on how many batteries you put in it will take about a week to make sure they are all empty of any charge

the safest way is to get a large plastic bucket the black builders type is best put a couple of gallons of cold water in it and a bag of table salt give it a good mix to help dissolve the salt into the water then put the lipos into the water, if you have any that can be turned on like mavic batts turn them on before you place then in the water ,make sure that when they are in the water that none of the contacts are touching each other, after a while you will see them starting to fizz gently, just leave them in there till there is no sign of fizzing that indicates they are flat after that take them to your local battery disposal place,make sure that the bucket can not be touched by animals or children during the process ,depending on how many batteries you put in it will take about a week to make sure they are all empty of any charge
Got it, and just finished doing that exact method, easy, simple and cheap. Dem, darn li-po's ain't gonna burn my house.... thanks old man mavic...

Reactions: old man mavic
Got it, and just finished doing that exact method, easy, simple and cheap. Dem, darn li-po's ain't gonna burn my house.... thanks old man mavic...
glad to hear it is a good method, have done it with some old 3c lipos from my early drone flying days

Great video, thanks for sharing it.
I ended up going through the entire li-po battery population that resides in my house. Well, I found over 8 li-po that are swelled and what surprised me the most, all of them i brought down to storage charge levels...

This video popped up so got me thinking..... I ended removing all potential dangerous li-po batteries from my home and in the process of learning the best way to discharge them 100%.....

Any suggestions are welcome.... I have no connections to this YouTube video author and no beneficial gain except I possibly prevented my house from burning....

Thanks for sharing. Most of these have been talked about before on this forum, but never hurts to have a refresher. And while the batteries usually say do not crush on them, never thought that is what is going to happen when you throw them out. I believe most big box office stores, Best Buy's, and local camera stores, recycle programs for most batteries.

I think the DJI smart charger and multiple batteries provided by the flymore kits take care of most of these problems. I’d be interested to know if any member who follows the recommended discharge and storage recommendations has had any puffy batteries, or other type of issue.

I never leave my batteries unattended while charging, but I have to admit that during a long projected period of inactivity, I don’t store them in a fire-safe location.

Be interested to hear from others.

Just had my first puffy battery for M2P... 10 months old and about 200 flights usage.
I confess, I now have one, too! 12 months old, with 55 flights, and lots of "abuse"! Production Date of 2018.11.
It's now relegated to ground based operations only! Still clicks in on both sides, but after my last flight with it, it was noticeably swollen and squishy, where it had been flat before! Disappointing, as I had hoped it was only the 2018.07 and 2018.08 Production Dates. Now, the swelling appears to be age related as well. Newer batteries with similar flight numbers are not showing any swelling yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: RonW
I have three P3 batteries going back to 2016. If you look really close, there's very, very slight swelling with one a bit tighter to get out after flight than the other two. Still decent flight times, maybe a couple minutes lost.

I bet if we examined the batteries themselves for all products with lipo/liIon batteries, we'd see at least some swelling. We don't freak out over those.

If it weren't for the design potentially causing unlatching, our batteries with some swelling would be fine.

What does seem to be a danger is resurrecting a totally dead (less than 2.7V) battery and continually recharging it.

Sounds to me like these LIPO batteries are NOT safe at all! I'll take LION over these any day!

Wow this is really the first I’ve ever seen on the subject. I just got a voltage meter last weekend and checked my batteries. I have 7 dumb ones that most are in that 3. range. I do have a P3 that is starting to get puffy and have wondered short of throwing in the river what to do with. I’m going to draw it down and contact Best Buy to see about getting rid of it. I’m also an idiot. About 3 years ago before I started flying and driving my cars I replaced a laptop battery and tossed it in the garbage. Nice to know I could have blown up the poor Garbage Man. Who says these poor guys don’t have dangerous jobs? Traveling now praying my house is still there to come home to. Thanks, my eyes are wide open now on this.

Wow this is really the first I’ve ever seen on the subject. I just got a voltage meter last weekend and checked my batteries. I have 7 dumb ones that most are in that 3. range. I do have a P3 that is starting to get puffy and have wondered short of throwing in the river what to do with. I’m going to draw it down and contact Best Buy to see about getting rid of it. I’m also an idiot. About 3 years ago before I started flying and driving my cars I replaced a laptop battery and tossed it in the garbage. Nice to know I could have blown up the poor Garbage Man. Who says these poor guys don’t have dangerous jobs? Traveling now praying my house is still there to come home to. Thanks, my eyes are wide open now on this.
Good for you. It's not worth it...it really isn't. Especially if there are children in the homestead... what really got me thinking is in the video the Guy who was walking down stairs and at that precise moment in time the battery exploded and he did not turn around right away.. at least that's what it seemed in the video... maybe he had loud music on and after his room was engulfed he smelled something burning.i know I'm reading into it but. I'd that sometimes....

Thank you for the very informative video came in handy knowing about Lipo batteries. I know it helped me be more knowledgeable about them I hope it helps others. These batteries are not to be misused.

Just a warning that you can't completely discharge the cells. Electrolysis occurs due to the sodium and destroys the metal contacts before the battery completely empties it's voltage. Using a 12 volt light bulb will completely discharge it to absolute safe levels for disposal.

Thanks for posting this. I knew there was a risk of fire but had now idea these things lite off like a blow torch. Ill be way more cautious of how and when I charge in the future.

Thanks for posting this. I knew there was a risk of fire but had now idea these things lite off like a blow torch. Ill be way more cautious of how and when I charge in the future.
For the record, these were not DJI batteries. They are not 100.00% immune, but the risk is extremely minimal, unless the battery or charger is defective, or the battery is clearly damaged.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dtcexpress1