DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Liability insurance help from you travelers

frankiez

Reactions
I am going to Europe for vacation next month and have been inquiring on the places I am visiting about flying my Mavic. Most are the usual stuff (don't fly over people, military sites, etc) but they also say I need to have a liability policy.

Where do I get this insurance that will cover me abroad? Can I purchase it there? How much insurance do u feel is needed?

Any help would be appreciated.

I am going to Europe for vacation next month and have been inquiring on the places I am visiting about flying my Mavic. Most are the usual stuff (don't fly over people, military sites, etc) but they also say I need to have a liability policy.

Where do I get this insurance that will cover me abroad? Can I purchase it there? How much insurance do u feel is needed?

Depends on the country. If you want to fly in Switzerland you will need a liability insurance with a cover of at least CHF1.000.000 (approx USD1.000.000). This is a legal requirement and it is the only one as no form of registration or other is needed.
Check with your insurance if they cover drone flying abroad.

My insurance policy DOES cover abroad but it is NOT liability insurance. It will only cover me for replacement cost of my drone for theft, damage to drone, etc.

My insurance policy DOES cover abroad but it is NOT liability insurance. It will only cover me for replacement cost of my drone for theft, damage to drone, etc.
So if you are going to Swizterland get liability insurance. It is compulsory for drone flying! And you need to have a copy of your policy with you.

Reactions: frankiez
Thanks but do u know if I can get liability coverage when I get to Europe and only for the time I am there? 2 weeks

Check the AMA insurance cover.

The BMFA (UK version of AMA) provides worldwide liability cover to its members, I don't know if the AMA cover is similar...

In Switzerland I am paying CHF31 (USD 31) for a year for a 10.000.000 coverage worldwide. You get a little card you can show the authorities if needed as the insurance is compulsory here.

My State Farm homeowners policy has a $300,000 personal liability that covers me flying overseas.

$300,000 isn't even close to the amount you need for 3rd party liability. Consider $5M as a minimum, but personally I'd go higher...

In Switzerland I am paying CHF31 (USD 31) for a year for a 10.000.000 coverage worldwide. You get a little card you can show the authorities if needed as the insurance is compulsory here.

Hi Tmoerel,

Could you give me the email address of your insurer, please? I emailed two insurance companiees here in Switzerland a week ago and did not receive a reply from either one.

Thank you in advance.

Odi

Would you please share your insurer name? I'm in Bern and looking for such a thing
Thanks

I use photoguard but I'm in the UK, but must be similar in the US, and you might even be able to use photoguard, can't see why not. I do PLI up to about $1.2million and cover for about $5,000 worth of camera equipment for about $100 a year.

Hi! I wonder... what did you find about this? Can someone (tourist) purchase an insurance while in Switzerland? Also I'm noting that the insurance is required "if the drone weighs more than 500 grams, Article 20 of the DETEC Ordinance on Special Category Aircraft requires liability insurance with guaranteed cover of at least CHF 1 million." Does that mean that the Spark and the Mavic Air do not require insurance? (apart from the fact that it might be a good idea to have one). Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan