DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Line of sight - Australian Regs.

Rolls912

Reactions
I’m new to the world of drones. Good fun.

I’ve been flying the MPP for a few weeks now. Reading up on the local regulations they state that “when flying you must be able to see your drone with your own eyes (not just on your app screen, first person view goggles or binoculars)”.

I’ve read numerous posts regarding this topic. What I have discovered since my purchase is that most of the parks have enormous gum trees, the sports fields are usually occupied, there are roads everywhere, everything else is populated by humans. There really aren’t too many places where I can fly this puppy unless I fly it over the sea or drive out of town for an hour or so.

Should I apply these laws literally? Or is it more a case of common sense? Any thoughts on this topic?

Reactions: radman
Flying over people is always a risk, no matter how good a pilot you are, as something could always happen, a motor failure, wind, etc. It might be good to carry liability insurance. And, yes, it might be better to fly in more remote areas or, at least, try to not fly directly over people. I live in a very rural area so can fly freely. But if I still lived in a big city, like the one I moved from, with houses just feet apart, I don't think I'd be comfortable flying much. I can't imagine searching for a drone if it came down on someone else's property, what they'd say or do. And you can be pretty sure if it ever hit someone there would be serious repercussions.

I’ve been flying the MPP for a few weeks now. Reading up on the local regulations they state that “when flying you must be able to see your drone with your own eyes (not just on your app screen, first person view goggles or binoculars)”.

I’ve read numerous posts regarding this topic. What I have discovered since my purchase is that most of the parks have enormous gum trees, the sports fields are usually occupied, there are roads everywhere, everything else is populated by humans. There really aren’t too many places where I can fly this puppy unless I fly it over the sea or drive out of town for an hour or so.

Should I apply these laws literally? Or is it more a case of common sense? Any thoughts on this topic?
Common sense I believe is always the rule...safety first...that being said take the time and drive to where you can enjoy flying without risk to people or property

Reactions: Hardgainer
Yup! Good advice here. It is part of the FAA recomendations and actually may be law that states one should not fly over people with thier drone.

When I am near people I always offset my flights so that they are a good distance behind or in front of from above and people are not directly below. I actually had to yell at a guy the other day to move as he was standing in my home point looking up at the Mavic and asking me questions.

This can be distracting and I really did not want to give him a free haircut on landing.

Reactions: Classic flyer

I'm in a smaller, more rural area of ~65,000 inhabitants, but even here we have to drive for 30 minutes to get to airspace that we are technically allowed to fly according to Transport Canada rules due to one larger airport, one for small aircraft, a private grass field, and a helicopter pad for the hospital. It's all classified as "D" airspace, so we' would have to call the tower for clearance to fly within that uncontrolled airspace. Still, I am happy to observe the 90 metre height limit and stay a few kilometres away from airports and practice in parks well away from people.

Particularly useful are school practice fields (no trees, just goal posts to fly through) when school is not in session or on weekends and not being used.

Reactions: Classic flyer
Okay thanks - all great comments. I guess nothing beats common sense.

I didn’t appreciate how limited they are until I purchased one and in hindsight I probably would think twice about buying for this reason. I just don’t have the time with kids and work etc to be driving to rural areas to operate.

Give us a heads up on how well it works

I reckon the answer is already here on the forum . . . Search Results for Query: strobon | DJI Mavic Drone Forum

Haven't had a chance to look for this in particular through some of those posts, but one of the important things for me is no more setup time (they have to stay on and be folded in bag etc), and they have to be rechargeable.

This is one of the threads using the search results above STROBON Cree® LED Strobe Lights

So they look pretty good so far, a little velcro.
Thinking 2 on back legs, none on front (light interference with camera ?), and just rotate as needed if I want to get visual on it if flying towards or 90 degrees.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka