DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi and the "original" Smart Controller and the Air 2S?

I used Litchi on the Smart Controller and M2P. It worked and it had no computing issues but at one point I could not update the Smart Controller to the latest firmware/software because it stated there was insufficient memory to download new firmware. Litchi is quite large. So I deleted Litchi and never got around to reinstalling it.
As an aside I didn't like Litchi. I found it hard to use on the Smart Controller, everything is very small (I guess scaled down from an Tablet format) and fiddly and I frequently accidentally changed settings like altitude and almost crashed the M2P on one occasion. I also didn't like the way it couldn't do smooth Waypoint curves, I found it very inferior to Autopilot that I'd used on my Inspire.

I used Litchi on the Smart Controller and M2P. It worked and it had no computing issues but at one point I could not update the Smart Controller to the latest firmware/software because it stated there was insufficient memory to download new firmware. Litchi is quite large. So I deleted Litchi and never got around to reinstalling it.
As an aside I didn't like Litchi. I found it hard to use on the Smart Controller, everything is very small (I guess scaled down from an Tablet format) and fiddly and I frequently accidentally changed settings like altitude and almost crashed the M2P on one occasion. I also didn't like the way it couldn't do smooth Waypoint curves, I found it very inferior to Autopilot that I'd used on my Inspire.

I wouldn't recommend programming flights with Litchi on the Smart Controller, for the same reason I wouldn't use it on an Android/iPhone/iPad: the web version ("Mission Hub") is the only good way of planning and testing a safe and effective route. Elsewhere (Litchi - "Unloved by its maker"?) I have discussed the basic errors that Litchi can make when adding Waypoints, and Litchi have never made any significant improvements to the programming method.

As ever, I will add that Litchi is the software I use most often with my drone. It is great as long as:
a. you have a drone that does not rely on virtual sticks
b. you program your flights using Mission Hub
c. you test them using (Yet Another) Virtual Litchi Mission

I wouldn't recommend programming flights with Litchi on the Smart Controller, for the same reason I wouldn't use it on an Android/iPhone/iPad: the web version ("Mission Hub") is the only good way of planning and testing a safe and effective route. Elsewhere (Litchi - "Unloved by its maker"?) I have discussed the basic errors that Litchi can make when adding Waypoints, and Litchi have never made any significant improvements to the programming method.

As ever, I will add that Litchi is the software I use most often with my drone. It is great as long as:
a. you have a drone that does not rely on virtual sticks
b. you program your flights using Mission Hub
c. you test them using (Yet Another) Virtual Litchi Mission

Not referring to PROGRAMMING but ONLY to FLYING. Yes, I only use the 27" monitor on my PC to program Litchi (I can barely see the screen of the SC). Was wondering if the SC had enough "computing power" to handle Litchi using VS.

Not referring to PROGRAMMING but ONLY to FLYING. Yes, I only use the 27" monitor on my PC to program Litchi (I can barely see the screen of the SC). Was wondering if the SC had enough "computing power" to handle Litchi using VS.
In that case, I misunderstood the part of your posting when you wrote, _"everything is very small (I guess scaled down from an Tablet format) and fiddly and I frequently accidentally changed settings like altitude"_.
There should be no reason to change altitude if the mission has been created offline? You load the mission, press play, and decide the starting waypoint. No messing with the altitude required.

In answer to your final point, my guess would be to confirm @justcruisin's observation: it has sufficient power to command the radio to send the required signals. Others have reported great success using the original smart controller.

In that case, I misunderstood the part of your posting when you wrote, _"everything is very small (I guess scaled down from an Tablet format) and fiddly and I frequently accidentally changed settings like altitude"_.
There should be no reason to change altitude if the mission has been created offline? You load the mission, press play, and decide the starting waypoint. No messing with the altitude required.

In answer to your final point, my guess would be to confirm @justcruisin's observation: it has sufficient power to command the radio to send the required signals. Others have reported great success using the original smart controller.
Well, my reply was MISTAKENLY to your comment to someone else and not me which i misread and your reply to me quoted someone else’s comment so we both replied to the wrong person! However your final comment did address my primary question in the OP so thank you!! 😀😀

Reactions: Facherty
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972