DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi loss of control and controller said "NO RTH" when I pressed RTH

Skyler King III

Reactions
Months ago I have a complete fly-away on my P4P with Litchi. When it was 200 feet away, it "disconnected" and disappeared into the wild blue. Thank goodness I had insurance (State Farm paid me ACH next day in full) that immediately replaced it with a new one. Never found the bird.
Today I updated to latest Litchi (1.18.0) on my iPhone 7 Plus. I did a mission on the web. Mission was at 300 feet above t/o point.

Mission started to load and then failed. Said "aircraft too high". Bird was at 100 feet. Could not get past that no matter what I did.

Thought...Maybe a Phantom 4 P /Litchi issue. Took out my Mavic. Took off with Litchi under FPV mode and first it headed out, climbed and went in circles !. I pressed RTH and controller said "no RTH". My pulse quickened. I tried to take manual control but it would accelerate to 7 mph and then back to zero. I had plenty of battery left. Each time I moved the stick forward, same thing, up to 7 mph and then zero. I quit Litchi, rebooted the controller and opened DJI GO4.

Then did a RTH, which worked. Then I cancelled RTH and did the rest manually to land.

I'm too old for this SHI* (69) I don't need Litchi. Mission Hub is a very nice feature but the risk/reward ratio is unattractive.

Ha hate "app crashes". Sorry I don't recall who on here taught me, "The RC can fly the bird without any APP running". (You just can't "See" what you are doing) Since then I have had several app crashes, I still don't like them. . .

Thank you for your input. Until I rebooted controller and switched to DJI GO4, the controller was ineffective.

When it accelerated to 7 mph then stopped, was it coming up with any errors at the time? Mine does the same (at 12kmh) when heading into the sun. I believe the angle makes the shadow from the blades hit the front sensors and it incorrectly thinks there is an obstacle in the way. Change direction slightly and all good. The first time it did it to me I shat myself as I was about 300m away over trees and it kept telling me an obstacle was avoided and stopped. I had no idea what was going on and straight home was straight into the sun. In the end I turned it around and flew it backwards toward me as I knew there were no obstacles (I could see it) then after some googling found my answer!

Now when I get that issue I simply turn RTH degrees either way and fly for a bit then turn back to home and fly again.

Sounds logical but the Sun was not yet low. I don't think, although it's possible, that that was the problem. And the "NO RTH" message ! I just don't need more grief. Thank you for your suggestions.

Ha! Same thing happened to me and folks poo-poo'd it and made it sound like I just screwed up. Mine finished a mission and it was supposed to RTH after. It just sat there. SO I went into FPV and flew it back then told it RTH and it ignored me.
The real pucker came in when it started climbing then drifted south. It was 1/4 mile away before I figured out same thing - killed Litchi and ran DJI Go 4 and brought it home. It even "knew" the RTH position which is interesting because it means that info is stored in the bird - not the software.

During the waypoint mission, if the signal is lost the flight continues. If the battery reaches the critical point does the drone activate the rth if it is using litchi?

During the waypoint mission, if the signal is lost the flight continues. If the battery reaches the critical point does the drone activate the rth if it is using litchi?
That's a good question. Yes it will. I had a pattern I ran of back and forth to test turning speeds. When the battery ran down to the RTH point that's what it did.

Ha! Same thing happened to me and folks poo-poo'd it and made it sound like I just screwed up. Mine finished a mission and it was supposed to RTH after. It just sat there. SO I went into FPV and flew it back then told it RTH and it ignored me.
The real pucker came in when it started climbing then drifted south. It was 1/4 mile away before I figured out same thing - killed Litchi and ran DJI Go 4 and brought it home. It even "knew" the RTH position which is interesting because it means that info is stored in the bird - not the software.

That's very interesting. So could you manage to switch between Litche and DJI Go 4 during the flight, and bring the bird back? Litchi seems to be very good, but when the RC's RTH button is not enabled, it is hard to figure out how to bring the bird back if you can't see it. At least DJI Go 4 app will allow you to do it. Am I right?

Reactions: Niblett
I do not have issues running both at same time. However if memory serves me correctly it wasn't running in the background I had to launch it.
It was able to connect and take over. I've also had to do this with occasional failures to allow camera parameter changes.

I do not have issues running both at same time. However if memory serves me correctly it wasn't running in the background I had to launch it.
It was able to connect and take over. I've also had to do this with occasional failures to allow camera parameter changes.

Thks. I will try it next flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka