DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Longer cable for mavic mini

gslibey

Reactions
OK, I'm doing something wrong. I need a longer cable between my mini controller and my android phone. I posted earlier and was told to buy this one or this cable. Well, they both came today and neither one works. I'm very careful as to how I inserted the mico into the controller, using the diagram next to the port as a guide. My phone works with the controller because when I use the short cable supplied by dji, it works fine, So...what the heck am I doing wrong???

Last edited:
The mini is very picky with cables. I can confirm i bough 2 of this ones for my mini and works fine.

The mini is very picky with cables. I can confirm i bough 2 of this ones for my mini and works fine.

This is the only correct connector.
The Thor is not correct.
Assuming you phone has USB-C that is.

This is the only correct connector.
The Thor is not correct.
Assuming you phone has USB-C that is.
Well, I've ordered 4 different cables (including the one you suggest) so we will see! Sure hope it's not some dumb thing I'm doing.

Thor has a variety of cables and they are decent products.
Just a matter of picking the one for your application and associated device been used.

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong some of you electronic gurus. There are apparently two types of cables -charging and data transfer cable. Is this correct? If so, will a data cable serve to charge? I'm pretty sure a charging cable won't serve to transfer data - that's been my problem. All the cables I purchased say "charge".
Am I right or crazy (about this subject - personal trait exempted).

I’ve not been concerned with a charge issue for the device. I use an iPad mini and not had to worry about draining the battery.
What device are you using?

I’ve not been concerned with a charge issue for the device. I use an iPad mini and not had to worry about draining the battery.
What device are you using?
What I'm trying to do is get a longer cable to connect my android to the mini controller. I've purchased several cables and they don't work. I've noticed there seems to be charging cables and data cables. Of course, I purchased the wrong one and they don't work. I have a data cable coming tomorrow so we'll see.

i had cut the original one in half. You can use a 4 wire flex cable (connect the black wire with braid no problem) some aluminium foil, insulating tape and no any problems at all (ok you need a soldering iron, thin heat shrink sleeve and some skill but its a really easy task).

i had cut the original one in half. You can use a 4 wire flex cable (connect the black wire with braid no problem) some aluminium foil, insulating tape and no any problems at all (ok you need a soldering iron, thin heat shrink sleeve and some skill but its a really easy task).
Yes I can do that but I wanted to just buy one. May resort to cutting if all else fails.

Being of the mind, more is better and variety the spice of life (g) I got each of these and they both work

But leave it to me to actually take the mini to a park early in the morning to take a spin and find that I left the cables home!!!! What do you mean, "no connection"!???? Oh, look there's no cable connecting the drone to the controller (to use to my zoom and smart controller, I guess)

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong some of you electronic gurus. There are apparently two types of cables -charging and data transfer cable. Is this correct? If so, will a data cable serve to charge? I'm pretty sure a charging cable won't serve to transfer data - that's been my problem. All the cables I purchased say "charge".
Am I right or crazy (about this subject - personal trait exempted).
No, there is a third type, and it's the only type that will work: an OTG ("on the go") cable. With an ordinary data cable, an Android device can only act as a peripheral when attached to a USB host such as a PC. An OTG cable allows an Android device itself to act as a host to a USB peripheral, e.g. the Mini controller. So find a cable of the desired length and plug type, but if the ad doesn't say it's OTG, it will not work.

Reactions: gslibey
No, there is a third type, and it's the only type that will work: an OTG ("on the go") cable. With an ordinary data cable, an Android device can only act as a peripheral when attached to a USB host such as a PC. An OTG cable allows an Android device itself to act as a host to a USB peripheral, e.g. the Mini controller. So find a cable of the desired length and plug type, but if the ad doesn't say it's OTG, it will not work.
Actually you have it backwards. It is the controller end that needs to be wired for OTG so it acts as the host and the Android as the peripheral. That's why the controller's port is shaped the way it is: rectangular rather than trapezoid. The former is the official form factor for Micro-USB A. It's rare to need a micro-USB as an A terminal.

In theory the Thor should work. It's possible the controller port is worn where it can't make all the needed connections with a micro-USB B plug, but is able to make all the connections with the included short cables having the micro-USB A plug.
I know my micro OTG to USB A adapter is getting touchy. I'm hoping it's the adapter and not a worn socket on the controller.

THANK YOU! I was going nuts buying every cable recommended but none worked. This really makes sense. I found one and IT WORKS! Hallelujah.

Actually you have it backwards. It is the controller end that needs to be wired for OTG so it acts as the host and the Android as the peripheral. That's why the controller's port is shaped the way it is: rectangular rather than trapezoid. The former is the official form factor for Micro-USB A. It's rare to need a micro-USB as an A terminal.

In theory the Thor should work. It's possible the controller port is worn where it can't make all the needed connections with a micro-USB B plug, but is able to make all the connections with the included short cables having the micro-USB A plug.
I know my micro OTG to USB A adapter is getting touchy. I'm hoping it's the adapter and not a worn socket on the controller.
Nope, the OTG cable allows the Android device to act as a host with the controller as a peripheral. If the controller were acting as a host, a standard data cable would work, the same as plugging the phone into a PC.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998