DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for CURRENT Remote ID add-on recommendations

ischonfeld

Reactions
Hi,

I've been holding off buying a RID add-on thinking that as 9/17/23 approaches more module options will come to market. I've looked at the various threads here and didn't find anything really recent. If I missed it, please just point me to the thread and I'll discontinue this one.

With less than a month to go, I'm looking for recommendations for a good, inexpensive, RID module that I can use with my Fire Department's Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual and my P4P+ and Mavic Mini. I'm assuming that since the RID module broadcasts drone-specific info, I will likely need one for each different drone - or I'd have to re-program the device each time I attached it to a different drone, which I'm not going to do.

SO, any recommendations would be welcome.

Thank you in advance.

If you fly your drones commercially under Part 107, each drone will need it's own unique (non-programmable) broadcast module for RID.

ETA: as of 08/21/2023 this is not exactly the case; just heard on live program from the Pilot Institute that a part 107 pilot does not need to own multiple broadcast modules and can indeed shuffle one RID module from one registered drone to another register drones in Dronezone as you fly. Just remove it from one and add it to another. Until the new year, apparently there is no $5 fee to make such changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cafguy
This is from a poster on the SparkPilots forum, just 3/4 hour ago, he's been researching what's available USA diligently.
Not sure if it's 100% correct, but gives you some names / info to google . . .

Here's what a quick google search rendered today (in alphabetical order at lowest prices I could find):

AeroPing Drone Remote ID Module - $191.01

BlueMark DroneBeacon Db 120 - $139.00

DroneTag Beacon - $218.90

DroneTag Mini Universal - $328.90

Uavionix pingRID - $299.99

All say they're FAA approved and list BlueTooth 4 & 5 protocol, all are powered by an onboard rechargeable battery.

I would think agency drones would get a little leeway BUT If you can find one in stock somewhere The DroneTag BS would be my first choice. they must be installed in your Drone but as mavic3usa pointed out you are going to need one for each drone anyway.

There are exemptions for public safety that can be filed. @Vic Moss or @BigAl07 could fill you in more about those types of scenarios.
There will be an exemption process for First Responders who need to fly w/o RID. To my knowledge, that has not been established yet. I hope it's ready, but at the moment, no word from the FAA.

I reached out to my FAA contacts just now for more information. I'll pass it along as soon as they're able to share anything.

As of 08/21/2023 this is not exactly the case; just heard on live program from the Pilot Institute that a part 107 pilot does not need to own multiple broadcast modules and can indeed shuffle one RID module from one registered drone to another register drones in Dronezone as you fly. Just remove it from one and add it to another. Until the new year, apparently there is no $5 fee to make such changes.

As of 08/21/2023 this is not exactly the case; just heard on live program from the Pilot Institute that a part 107 pilot does not need to own multiple broadcast modules and can indeed shuffle one RID module from one registered drone to another register drones in Dronezone as you fly. Just remove it from one and add it to another. Until the new year, apparently there is no $5 fee to make such changes.
I follow Pilot Institute but haven't seen that - I'll go looking for it. A change like this would certainly make life easier. Right now I'm leaning toward the Drone Tag Beacon, but it wouldn't arrive until October at the earliest.

I follow Pilot Institute but haven't seen that - I'll go looking for it. A change like this would certainly make life easier. Right now I'm leaning toward the Drone Tag Beacon, but it wouldn't arrive until October at the earliest.
Check the video around the 36-minute mark:

Thank you to everyone who responded. I just ordered a Dronetag Beacon for the Fire Department M2ED. Best case it arrives in October. Not much else we can do. I've been in contact with several people locally who ordered RID modules weeks ago and they are also not expecting deliveries by the deadline.

As far as my personal P4P+, I'm going to wait a bit and see what shakes out in the coming months. Based on the Pilot Institute Q&A it appears that I can transfer the Beacon's registration between drones up until December, at which time a cost may kick in.

Reactions: mavic3usa
Right now, due to the lack of resources to manufacture modules, there is a reprieve of the requirement until 16 March 2024. Be careful! I understand this does not apply to all drones... I have not verified that info, but will update if I find it...

Here is the FAA Web Pag notice:
Yeah it doesn't apply to drones that already have remote ID. If you already have it and your drone is broadcasting, then you need to comply. 🤣

Hi,

I've been holding off buying a RID add-on thinking that as 9/17/23 approaches more module options will come to market. I've looked at the various threads here and didn't find anything really recent. If I missed it, please just point me to the thread and I'll discontinue this one.

With less than a month to go, I'm looking for recommendations for a good, inexpensive, RID module that I can use with my Fire Department's Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual and my P4P+ and Mavic Mini. I'm assuming that since the RID module broadcasts drone-specific info, I will likely need one for each different drone - or I'd have to re-program the device each time I attached it to a different drone, which I'm not going to do.

SO, any recommendations would be welcome.

Thank you in advance.
My preference is the DroneTag Beacon. It is a well polished package and the app is really well done.
We are in the process of making mounts to fit most RID incompatible drones, they mount similarly to our TPU strobe mounts.
INSPIREDTB5 (SM).jpg

Reactions: Torque
My preference is the DroneTag Beacon. It is a well polished package and the app is really well done.
We are in the process of making mounts to fit most RID incompatible drones, they mount similarly to our TPU strobe mounts.
I believe the Autel Evo 2 V1 will be a popular candidate for RID mount on one of the legs.

I believe the Autel Evo 2 V1 will be a popular candidate for RID mount on one of the legs.
The design work is already done for that one.
DRONETAG EVOII RENDER2.png
DRONETAG EVOII RENDER3.png

Reactions: mavic3usa
We will have a line coming out for the Holy Stone RID module too, unfortunately they are different sizes. I'll reply back when they are done.
View attachment 169367
Awesome, my Evo 2 Pro will thank you. Still wish there was a Autel-branded RID module, if HS can make one for their line-up, why can't Autel.

Wow, the dronetag is tiny, I thought the HS was pretty small. Hmmmm.......

Any updates? Seeking a secure mount for my Mavic Platinum

Reactions: Cafguy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13