DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looks like the the Mavic is waterproof.

TrayBoz

Reactions
For those of you who have not seen this video and own a Mavic, you really should check it out:

This guy loses his Mavic in the water - it stays completely submerged in several feet of dirty water for over 1/2 hour, then he finds it, dries it out in a bag of rice for 3-4 days, replaces the battery, and then it flies perfectly! I was amazed!

Note: He did NOT attempt to power it up at all before completely drying it out and replacing the battery.

I was impressed.

Sorry, I need to offer a reality check here. I'm not trying to be harsh, just realstic. The Mavic is NOT waterproof. Don't go thinking it is just because it got submerged. The water was inside the Mavic's onboard computer all that time and needed to drain. The life expectancy of the Mavic went down considerably with the dirty water. The onboard computer is dry and therefore no more shorts are present, but there is now a **** ton of dirt in there which will eventually blow a component out faster and the Mavic will fail sooner.

OBVIOUSLY I'm not recommending anyone get their Mavic wet or fly it into the lake to test it.
I was just blown away that it would work at ALL after being totally submerged. I didn't think a disclaimer was necessary.

Sorry, I need to offer a reality check here. I'm not trying to be harsh, just realstic. The Mavic is NOT waterproof. Don't go thinking it is just because it got submerged. The water was inside the Mavic's onboard computer all that time and needed to drain. The life expectancy of the Mavic went down considerably with the dirty water. The onboard computer is dry and therefore no more shorts are present, but there is now a **** ton of dirt in there which will eventually blow a component out faster and the Mavic will fail sooner.
i think this video is fake.

OBVIOUSLY I'm not recommending anyone get their Mavic wet or fly it into the lake to test it.
I was just blown away that it would work at ALL after being totally submerged. I didn't think a disclaimer was necessary.
Your post made it seem like you thought it was waterproof. Your title is very misleading.

Nobody has done a proper submerged Mavic rescue video.
Rice is just not going to cut it, you really need to strip it down , flush it out with alcohol. Then clean up an dry out all the ribbon cable connectors and various other parts that tend to harbor water. Also spray out the motors and gimbal mechanism. Even after all of this I am not sure it's going to last a long time before some part what got wet starts to corrode.

Rob

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
Nobody has done a proper submerged Mavic rescue video.
Rice is just not going to cut it, you really need to strip it down , flush it out with alcohol. Then clean up an dry out all the ribbon cable connectors and various other parts that tend to harbor water. Also spray out the motors and gimbal mechanism. Even after all of this I am not sure it's going to last a long time before some part what got wet starts to corrode.

Rob

but be careful with the alcohol. if remain a little inside, your mavic will blow up or going to drunk :) ooooor you can make a barbecue with it :p
giphy.gif

For those of you who have not seen this video and own a Mavic, you really should check it out:

This guy loses his Mavic in the water - it stays completely submerged in several feet of dirty water for over 1/2 hour, then he finds it, dries it out in a bag of rice for 3-4 days, replaces the battery, and then it flies perfectly! I was amazed!

Note: He did NOT attempt to power it up at all before completely drying it out and replacing the battery.

I was impressed.

Seen that. It is not waterproof. It is remarkably water resistant to go by several videos. Some report that it flies badly even after the rice bag.

BTW: better than a rice bag is a food dehydrator set to about 50°C.

Reactions: Davros007
Seen that. It is not waterproof. It is remarkably water resistant to go by several videos. Some report that it flies badly even after the rice bag.

BTW: better than a rice bag is a food dehydrator set to about 50°C.

and what do you think about the salt bag? i saw a guy, who dried with salt bag.

I don't believe that video is fake. You can clearly see his mavic crashing and sinking in the video - if it was faked this guy should be working for Steven Spielberg. And the way he was jumping up and down after he found out it still worked - that's exactly what I'd be doing. Why submerge your mavic just to make a YouTube video? I'm sure that his mavic was not in prime condition after that soaking, and will probably never be the same again.

Maybe I'll try showering with mine tomorrow....

I don't believe that video is fake. You can clearly see his mavic crashing and sinking in the video - if it was faked this guy should be working for Steven Spielberg. And the way he was jumping up and down after he found out it still worked - that's exactly what I'd be doing. Why submerge your mavic just to make a YouTube video? I'm sure that his mavic was not in prime condition after that soaking, and will probably never be the same again.

Maybe I'll try showering with mine tomorrow....

please use glicerine free showergel :D

How does the Mavic Air 2 handle rain? I'm guessing it is best NOT to fly in the rain, or in bad weather conditions. But what happens if you are hit be a shower while flying?

I found a video where the previous owner of the mav was flying in the rain to take a picture of a roped off tornado.

How does the Mavic Air 2 handle rain? I'm guessing it is best NOT to fly in the rain, or in bad weather conditions. But what happens if you are hit be a shower while flying?

Here is the Air 2 With a Wet Suit flying in some Serious Rain.

Take note that the weak link is the battery , if the battery gets compromised by the rain it give you a 5 second warning that the battery can no longer connect to the drone and the flips over and falls to it death.

However with the Wet Suit protecting the Battery - Power Button and vents the results are kind of amazing and allow you to get in and out of the storm.

The Forum members get a nice discount
and a special Twilight Wet Suit Package .

Email me at [email protected]

Keep rolling the dice....

Its really not about rolling the dice as much as it is to just Protect the Battery and the Connectors .

The drone it self is very water resistant do to the Motors being Aluminum Brush less motors.designed to negotiate extreme heat and water. Same motors used in Submersibles.
The boards do have a protective coating for Moisture.

So once that Battery is really protected . your good.
Its the reason why we can safely remote land on the water in a splash zone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000