DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost connection

Riverjop

Reactions
So I was flying my Mavic air yesterday over a river and not near any buildings towns etc... what so ever and I lost connection about 100-200 meters away. I hit the return home button and it headed back but looked like it was going to land really close to the river, so when it was about six feet off the ground I stopped the return to home and it was just hovering there about ten fifteen feet away from me and my IPad was still blank (lost connection) I then climbed down the slope and just grabbed it while in the air.
But it could have been three feet farther out over the raging river. What could or should I gave done if I couldn’t have grabbed it. Kinda scary!

I take it you used RTH on the controller? This suggests that it was the connection between your iPad & controller that was lost, but that your controller was still 'talking' to the MA. If this was the case, as you had VLOS, you should have been able to fly back to your location after you deselected RTH.

Reactions: Thomas B
Yes i did use the RTH button on the controller but it was coming down about ten feet away next to the river and would have landed in some bushes on the steep bank and possibly even gotten flung into the water, so I decided to not take that chance and stopped the decent and the RTH. So then it was just hovering there and I had no control, up, down, sideways, forward or backwards!? I thought about hitting the RTH button again but decided the safest thing would be to just climb down the bank and grab it.
But now I’m worried if it were to happen again the circumstances could be very different!
Could I have turned off the controller or turned off the DJI App on the IPad?
I had at least 10 satellites and there was no buildings, homes or electrical around except a single electric line about 50’ behind me.

after you cancel RTH you should have complete control with th RC just fly it back to you , you don't need the ipad for anything

Reactions: Thomas B
after you cancel RTH you should have complete control with th RC just fly it back to you , you don't need the ipad for anything
I canceled the RTH at about six feet off the ground and then had no control what so ever. It was like it was locked up?
I’ll have to try and download the flight records as soon as I can figure that out. Stay tuned!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78