DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost drone in maldives - help needed

Landspeed

Reactions
Hello
So as the title says.
After a good couple of long flights around the island was trying to get a straight shot and lost connection at just 1500 ft .the map shows me in the ocean but that's land where it took of from it's how maldives is .I got the RTH going as soon as I saw something going wrong . Can the experts check what went wrong . I have also emailed dji to look into it I have used it in the same manner many times in the past and never had a fly away situation.
I have uploaded the log here
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Also is it possible to get a Google link to this maybe I can rent a jetski and try to go look for it ? Any help is appreciated .

It was quite low, is it possible you got splashed by a wave?
The altitude reading is not that accurate and after flying a while could easily be 3 or 4 feet different to what it thinks.
There's a speed error with apparent sudden stop, then RTH is triggered (manually?)
Shortly afterwards GPS stops working but it did start to ascend and seems to be in contact with controller until the end.

My feeling is it got hit by salty water but partially recovered.
After starting RTH the water got further in and did something which finished it off.

Maldives has no waves ... It's flat all the way to deep ocean .I highly doubt water could have touched it .RTH did not work as I was sitting there for 2 hours praying ... I feel it was a malfunction.

Attachments

• 20180210_171645.jpg
    20180210_171645.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 153
RTH was triggered by me when I saw loss of contact with the drone and as I wasn't to far (1500 ft) if RTH had worked at all it would be e contact with my remote .I kept triggering it on the iPad and the remote .

It can't RTH if GPS isn't working as it doesn't know which way to go.
The question is why that stopped, and was it connected with the abrupt braking to 0mph
Is their any video record on the phone?
Another real risk is bird strike - sometimes you can see feathers.

Reactions: doni55
It can't RTH if GPS isn't working as it doesn't know which way to go.
The question is why that stopped, and was it connected with the abrupt braking to 0mph
Is their any video record on the phone?
Another real risk is bird strike - sometimes you can see feathers.
It did record the RTH point as it shows in the flight log .I wanted to go further ahead so I did not have any abrupt braking and I had a clear view hardly any birds flying around here ... I had not reached the point to start recording as I was getting closer to where to dolphins were and saving up on the memory card .I honestly believe it was a malfunction they way it's gone down ... even the winds were not too strong ...

Reactions: spindlejockey
I took another round in the ocean with the jet ski as water is hardly 4 ft and I give up my only hope is dji and malfunction. They have asked me a lot of information which I have provided to them and 2 days to review my flight log .

Have you calibrated your compass prior to the first flight at the island? You should always do so if your takeoff location is more than about 100 miles away from the point of last calibration.
GPS receiving is very reliable, so I don't belief in a lost GPS. But the DJI firmware will just fall into Atti mode in case the compass will deliver erratic direction information which does not match with the IMU's expectations.

Have you calibrated your compass prior to the first flight at the island? You should always do so if your takeoff location is more than about 100 miles away from the point of last calibration.
GPS receiving is very reliable, so I don't belief in a lost GPS. But the DJI firmware will just fall into Atti mode in case the compass will deliver erratic direction information which does not match with the IMU's expectations.

It had asked me to calibrate just before I had started toying around at this part of the island ... And I did about 3 flights in almost 3000 ft and back and change of battery and then I lost it .had all the calibration in place including Compass which was done maybe 40 mins before I had lost it ....

Last edited:
Reactions: Costa Rica Guy
Latest update is, dji has got all logs and will get back to me in 2 days if I can get a replacement .

This is the last message from dji . Is there anything to argue ... can someone explain me this , thank you
1.The aircraft worked in Sport mode;
2.The pilot pushed pitch stick forward, and roll stick to the right, the aircraft was flying in front-right direction, then it crashed at T=2:01, H=4 m, D=427 m.

T= time in the flight= 2:01
H= altitude= 4 m
D= distance from controller= 427m

I think they are saying you crashed into something. You were in sport mode, so no obstacle avoidance. Probably crashed before you even hit RTH. I assume you had lost visual contact with it since you said you waited two hours for it to RTH? Maybe you hit a boat, a bird, a pole, a dolphin?

I think they are saying you crashed into something. You were in sport mode, so no obstacle avoidance. Probably crashed before you even hit RTH. I assume you had lost visual contact with it since you said you waited two hours for it to RTH? Maybe you hit a boat, a bird, a pole, a dolphin?
Well firstly it's Maldives water level is hardly 4 feet kms into the ocean , I choose to fly it here in sports mode as I was in the middle of nowhere for it to crash into something. I waiting 2 hrs in hope of it to return :( no boats where I was I would have to go atleast 6 kms to get to boats .

This is the last message from dji . Is there anything to argue ... can someone explain me this , thank you
1.The aircraft worked in Sport mode;
2.The pilot pushed pitch stick forward, and roll stick to the right, the aircraft was flying in front-right direction, then it crashed at T=2:01, H=4 m, D=427 m.

This is an interesting event. At 121.6 seconds and a few meters above the water you went abruptly from full forward elevator and 1/3 right aileron to centered sticks. It looks to me as if it lost altitude in that deceleration and hit the water.

DJIFlightRecord_2018-02-08_[11-09-29]_conv_01.png

It managed to take off again and at 147.6 s it went into GoHome mode and began to climb to the set RTH height (40 m). However, it looks like the salt water got to the GPS link at 152.9 s, at which point GPS health went from 5 to 0, the aircraft switched to ATTI mode, and the climb terminated.

DJIFlightRecord_2018-02-08_[11-09-29]_conv_03.png

After that, as you can see, pitch and roll went to zero and the aircraft began drifting. The wind was around 10 mph out of the SE. The disconnect at 175 s was also likely due to water intrusion. At that point it should have auto landed, so I would search 20 - 50 m NW of the last recorded position. Of course it may have drifted after splash down.

This is an interesting event. At 121.6 seconds and a few meters above the water you went abruptly from full forward elevator and 1/3 right aileron to centered sticks. It looks to me as if it lost altitude in that deceleration and hit the water.

View attachment 31241

It managed to take off again and at 147.6 s it went into GoHome mode and began to climb to the set RTH height (40 m). However, it looks like the salt water got to the GPS link at 152.9 s, at which point GPS health went from 5 to 0, the aircraft switched to ATTI mode, and the climb terminated.

View attachment 31242

After that, as you can see, pitch and roll went to zero and the aircraft began drifting. The wind was around 10 mph out of the SE. The disconnect at 175 s was also likely due to water intrusion. At that point it should have auto landed, so I would search 20 - 50 m NW of the last recorded position. Of course it may have drifted after splash down.
Thank you that was put forward really well.
Is there anything to argue with dji here . In my video feed I could never catch the drop in altitude.

Thank you that was put forward really well.
Is there anything to argue with dji here . In my video feed I could never catch the drop in altitude.

I don't think the DJI analyst quite understood what happened - it was a bit unusual - but I think it clearly lost attitude and hit the water. Unless I've misunderstood the data then it was pilot error, which was their response. You may be out of luck here.

I don't think the DJI analyst quite understood what happened - it was a bit unusual - but I think it clearly lost attitude and hit the water. Unless I've misunderstood the data then it was pilot error, which was their response. You may be out of luck here.
I have asked them why is it pilot error let's see what they say .
In the mean while here comes MAVIC PRO PLATINUM new will go buy one with the refresh package.... I wonder if I would get a replacement in this situation if I had a dji refresh package ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu