DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LOST MAVIC 2 ZOOM in San Francisco

Those trees look pretty climbable to me. Any long extension pole with a net or pole pruner/saw combo. It could have dropped down to the understory by now given that conifers are soft and sway a lot.

Many will shame you for not being aware of local reg's and naivete on registration (have you?) and identifying labels. It's an opportunity to learn from this forum everything you need to know to fly legally and safely, and always willing to help lost birds and pilots.

THANK YOU trying to find a good tree service now

For future reference there are places that will rent a snorkel lift including delivery and pick up for about $500-600. Usually need a day to set it up but they can sometimes do same day.

It looks like you flew from the rear of the Palace of Fine Arts (the nearest legal place to takeoff/land if shooting the GG bridge, but well over a mile away). Had you taken off with a full batt you'd have been fine. But 49%? A recipe for disaster. Hope you get it back!

It looks like you flew from the rear of the Palace of Fine Arts (the nearest legal place to takeoff/land if shooting the GG bridge, but well over a mile away). Had you taken off with a full batt you'd have been fine. But 49%? A recipe for disaster. Hope you get it back!

It's kind of pointless worrying about the legality of your takeoff location if you are going to fly over a mile away, i.e. way beyond VLOS.

Just say it was a fly away from outside the park but you had a tracking device on it

Are you allowed to fly near the Presidio? I had Military Police chase my Brother and I just riding our Motorcycles too fast through the base in our younger days.
Too many obstacles in SF for me to keep track of legal/illegal places to fly for my tastes [emoji17].
Hope your story has a happy ending [emoji106]

** I just read that the Base was closed in 1994 and turned into a National Park[emoji6]

Last edited:
The OP deleted his video and hasn't posted since Tuesday. Anyone else have doubts we'll ever know how it turned out?

Seen it too many times... newbie comes along and asks for help, gets an amazing amount of help, and then disappears. I hope the OP isn't one of those guys.

Mark

The OP deleted his video and hasn't posted since Tuesday. Anyone else have doubts we'll ever know how it turned out?

Seen it too many times... newbie comes along and asks for help, gets an amazing amount of help, and then disappears. I hope the OP isn't one of those guys.

Mark
I think he was worried about having it on Youtube and getting in trouble because of where he was flying.

I think he was worried about having it on Youtube and getting in trouble because of where he was flying.

Likely as every other post mentioned the illegal take off and over fly of national parks etc. though as others have quoted his posts and posed the flight plan he is still stuffed if some one want's to persecute him.

Hopefuly he will come back and say thanks for the help and what , if any resolution there was.

Yep... That's no fly zone for sure. Be careful.... I've been there and they are nazis when it comes to drones. Probably auto landed somewhere in that are if the Proximity sensors moved it just a bit. And someone found it and gonna give it to their kids. Bummer.

OP's Mavic Pro 2 was spotted and retrieved over the weekend thanks to the flight log, Google Earth and a good pair of binoculars. It took three people, a 35' telescoping pole and a 30' tree climb to get the nearly hidden drone out of a very dense section of the tree. It was 61' feet off the ground and in the exact tree shown in sar104's Google Street View image (as usual, spot-on analysis, sar104). The only damage was one missing prop and one damaged prop. There was no other visible damage and the drone powered up with the gimbal movement, light sequence and tones all appearing to be normal. It is now on its way back to a very happy owner.

OP's Mavic Pro 2 was spotted and retrieved over the weekend thanks to the flight log, Google Earth and a good pair of binoculars. It took three people, a 35' telescoping pole and a 30' tree climb to get the nearly hidden drone out of a very dense section of the tree. It was 61' feet off the ground and in the exact tree shown in sar104's Google Street View image (as usual, spot-on analysis, sar104). The only damage was one missing prop and one damaged prop. There was no other visible damage and the drone powered up with the gimbal movement, light sequence and tones all appearing to be normal. It is now on its way back to a very happy owner.

Nice work. Climbing a tree and then using a long pole sounds moderately challenging.

Thanks! It was. But being on a belay line in made it a bit easier.

No doubt. I'd have slung at least a couple of anchors and clipped in, but then again I'm never comfortable climbing trees. Being on belay probably gave you a bit more freedom of movement.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom