DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic Air, not while flying

JimJ

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hi Guys:

Did something stupid today. While putting Drone and accessories in car left Mavic Air on roof of SUV. Drove off and discovered a few minutes later that I had done this. Don't know if it will help to announce here but you never know. It was lost outside the Chicago Area, a town called Gurnee, ILL. I have reported to the Lake County Sheriff Department. They will post nationwide. If anyone hears or see anything I will offer a reward to get it back. Off course FAA# and/or serial # can be verified when appropriate.

Thanks
JimJ

Ouch! Sorry, Jim. My 16-year old did that with a brand new laptop once. It’s something we all have done to some degree or another. Hope it shows up! Also put a free lost & reward ad in the local Craigslist.

Thanks AMann. I will do that.Does the Mavic have to be on for the"Find my drone to work"? I suspect so but will try anything at this point.

Thanks AMann. I will do that.Does the Mavic have to be on for the"Find my drone to work"? I suspect so but will try anything at this point.

Unfortunately, the Find my Drone tool just points you to the last place the drone was when it lost telemetry contact with the controller. I think your best chance is posting lost notices and a ad. Did you have a phone number on it? Hope so!

Just as I thought. O well. No I had not got around to putting a phone number in it. All around bad news on my part. I'll try your suggestions about the ad.

Thanks again.

• Sad
Reactions: AMann
Ouch - sorry to hear that - really hope you find it Thumbswayup Since temporarily downing my MA a couple of times (luckily in soft heather) due to stoopid-user-error (eg. underestimating wind on return leg) I've stuck phone-number on a little sticker inside battery-compartment in case I fail to retrieve it personally. That way data is at least protected from fingers / weather / prying eyes, but available to any potential retrievers. Fingers crossed 4U

Ouch - sorry to hear that - really hope you find it Thumbswayup Since temporarily downing my MA a couple of times (luckily in soft heather) due to stoopid-user-error (eg. underestimating wind on return leg) I've stuck phone-number on a little sticker inside battery-compartment in case I fail to retrieve it personally. That way data is at least protected from fingers / weather / prying eyes, but available to any potential retrievers. Fingers crossed 4U
Why hide the number. It can only be read for a couple of feet. Finder most likely will not have a clue about the battery removal. FAA reg # will show, but they won’t give the user info to random finders, only LEO. Make it easy for someone to help you

I agree with all but since it was new and only a couple of flights I had not gotten around to it yet. Next time I will do all diligence before taking the drone out.

thanks

Question: Does anyone know if "Find my Drone" will register location if drone is turned on?

Thanks
Nope. That feature kind of useless in that regard. Lost a drone in March and contacted DJI to ask if someone finds it, turns it on or tries to register it will I get notified and be able to recover it? They said no which very poor customer service in my opinion. They could care less. I have proof of purchase, FAA and DJI serial number but they can’t help? FRUSTRATING!
Love their products but customer service needs to improve tremendously.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Nope. That feature kind of useless in that regard. Lost a drone in March and contacted DJI to ask if someone finds it, turns it on or tries to register it will I get notified and be able to recover it? They said no which very poor customer service in my opinion. They could care less. I have proof of purchase, FAA and DJI serial number but they can’t help? FRUSTRATING!
Love their products but customer service needs to improve tremendously.
Get a tracker, best option.

Get a tracker, best option.
Thanks Thomas, and others,. for input.

I have tracker but it was not connected at the time because I was not flying. At this time I have a Police report filed, and a ad in Craig's List lost and found. As I understand it the FAA registration and DJI registration is useless for this situation. I see a couple of comments above that reference FAA and DJI. Does anyone know different? I would be glad to hear others experience.

Thanks

My case is somewhat like losing a drone while flying, except, all of the great built in technical does not come into play. This case , someone has the drone and now has a choice to make. Either try and sell it, try and find the owner, or buy a controller and fly it. Other than what's been already stated, where to go from here?

Thanks

Thanks Thomas, and others,. for input.

I have tracker but it was not connected at the time because I was not flying. At this time I have a Police report filed, and a ad in Craig's List lost and found. As I understand it the FAA registration and DJI registration is useless for this situation. I see a couple of comments above that reference FAA and DJI. Does anyone know different? I would be glad to hear others experience.

Thanks
Don't misunderstand ... they are not completely useless in all cases because if an honest person or law enforcement finds it you stand a much better chance of retrieving it since they can, if they choose to, track it back to you AND you have proof of ownership.
The useless part is DJI not being willing or able to notify an owner in a case like this. There's NO WAY they don't have that information because they have access to flight logs that are uploaded and could easily put this to good use when an owner has a lost or stolen drone. They could then notify the owner if the drone is connected to another controller and provide some location information. Pretty lame on their part!
I agree with the post about a tracker and it would have been nice to have one installed but I own 4 drones and that would get pricey with service costs as well. I've been flying for many years and only lost one so far in a freak circumstance. I guess I would have to evaluate the risk/reward and I know my luck would be buy them and never lose a drone again!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31