DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic Mini (flew out of control)

Thank you to everyone in this thread (especially slup!)who helped figure out what happened or supported. It really means a lot and I will take all this information and make sure to apply it next time I fly a drone. Thank you again!
Sincerely,
Daniel

Reactions: old man mavic
When there is no wind, which is the case here, the tilt direction should be the same as the direction of travel. The difference between the two directions is the yaw error. It can be seen that at the beginning, the yaw error was about 180 degrees so the craft flew almost straight away.

After travelling for a distance, the craft learned from the changes in GPS coordinates or the magnetic field the correct direction so it made an adjustment to reduce the error to something like 135 degrees. The flight path then changed into a toilet-bowl shape.

I believe if sufficient time was given, the craft should have been able to correct the error entirely but unfortunately it went into what seems to be an uncommanded descent and crashed.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).gif

Last edited:
Reactions: BudWalker
When there is no wind, which is the case here, the tilt direction should be the same as the direction of travel. The difference between the two directions is the yaw error. It can be seen that at the beginning, the yaw error was about 180 degrees so the craft flew almost straight away.

After travelling for a distance, the craft learned from the changes in GPS coordinates or the magnetic field the correct direction so it made an adjustment to reduce the error to something like 135 degrees. The flight path then changed into a toilet-bowl shape.

I believe if sufficient time was given, the craft should have been able to correct all the errors but unfortunately it went into what seems to be an uncommanded descent and crashed.

View attachment 115812
Yes a similar thing happened to one of my friends a few months back who also has a mini. The difference there was he was flying at over 300ft so he had sufficient time to re-take control over the drone at a sufficient height. My mini stayed at a decent height for ~10 seconds before descending extremely rapidly. As I was not prepared for this I had little chance of recovering the flight. Thank you for the information!

I had something like this happen with the Mavic Air 2. I was fortunate enough that it initiated a return to home automatically. The issue was the lighting port had lint in it and mid-flight it disconnected. In my case the drone was unresponsive to commands and became erratic. The video was still working intermittently but then cut out. I figured it was lost and was packing up my stuff to put in the car when I heard it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom