DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic Mini - Lost over water

JrFish

Reactions
Hello all. I'm new here, and of course the 1st thing I post is a 'Please help me' thread. TIA, as I'm sure someone will be able to help me with a flight analysis and recommend if I have any chance to file a warranty claim for the loss. As well, if you have any recommendations on what to send DJI and how best to present the claim I'd appreciate it.

1st disclosure, total noobs, Mavic Mini is 1st drone and we have pretty limited flight time. This was an Xmas gift for my son and we haven't spent a lot time with it, and this is the 1st we've ever tried to analyze the flight data logs.

Short story is, flying over water (actually 1st time to do that) and having a blast. 3 minute flight total at a high elevation with an 8628' take-off elevation. Starting battery 39% with 24% remaining at the time of the incident. On returning the drone to home, manually, it began losing altitude. Drone was in sight, a couple hundred feet away and at about a 50' elevation. It began losing altitude, gradually at 1st then at an increasing rate. Lowered all the way to the water, hovered at the surface momentarily causing splash from the prop wash. Then it began to climb again, but after about 10' of gain it settled back all the way to the surface and slowly sank away.

It was a traumatic scene to stand there helplessly and watch it sink away, unretrievable, while my kid loses his ever-loving mind! Not fun. Although it wasn't far away, water was too cold and deep to attempt a retrieval.

Ok, so obviously high elevation flight with a relatively low starting battery is not a prudent move. Did it just not have enough volts to maintain altitude in that thin air? We had made several prior flights at these elevations with no issues, getting battery as low as 10% once with no ill effects. Not sure how to calculate the air density altitude, but wouldn't the software adjust the ceiling accordingly?? Probably No I suspect...****.

If someone could look over our flight data, or advise me on how to do the same, the link to airdata is below and Flight Record attached. I was hoping to find telemetry data on flight control input. While pilot error seems the most probable suspect here, at the time of the loss we thought we were doing everything we could to get it home. I believe it was in S Mode. What all else should we scrutinize?

Do I need to obtain the upgraded version of Airdata? Is PhantomHelp better? So....what do you see in there that I don't at the time of loss????

We appreciate any input and guidance.
Jim & Jaiden

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-06-23_[19-48-01].txt
    327.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Reactions: Steel63 and clackey
Yes sir. Dat file attached. I believe this should be the correct one. Do I load this file into AirData or PhantomViewer as well?

Attachments

• 20-06-23-07-32-48_FLY054.DAT
    6.8 MB · Views: 38
Reactions: Steel63
Thanks for the link PFrogg….oh geez, it's like reliving the trauma 1/10th of a second at a time. LOL it's just terrible! There were many opportunities there to put it down on dry ground if we would have recognized what was going on. Oh the Humanity!!!

Please let me know if the flight data doesn't match up. This was the last/most recent DAT file, but the naming convention is apparently different

Last edited:
Reactions: Gagey52 and Steel63
There were many opportunities there to put it down on dry ground if we would have recognized what was going on.
At the time, did you see the two battery warnings at 37 and 30%?

I'm no expert by any means but I know at least two things about drone batteries-
  • Never take off with less than 100% charge
  • Bring it home when the battery gets to 30%
Taking off at such a low battery percentage probably fooled the flight controller into thinking there was more amperage in that battery than there really was... until you buzzed around a few minutes and it ran out of juice...

Yes sir. Dat file attached. I believe this should be the correct one. Do I load this file into AirData or PhantomViewer as well?

The initial descent at 1033 seconds was commanded by down throttle, but when that was centered again 10 seconds later and then moved to up throttle the descent continued. The rear motors were running at maximum. This is another uncommanded descent event, and so DJI should replace it.

Graph3.png

Sar104, can you have a look at the map derived from the DAT file? The one I got seems to be of a different flight and I am not sure if it is accurate or not, same place I think but different flight path

Attachments

• 20-06-23-07-32-48_FLY054.png
    20-06-23-07-32-48_FLY054.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: Steel63 and user_db
Sar104, can you have a look at the map derived from the DAT file? The one I got seems to be of a different flight and I am not sure if it is accurate or not, same place I think but different flight path

This is the DAT file flight track.

1594670029236.png

I'm just going to sit back and watch you experts decipher and wait for your NTSB style reports. I'll hold all my stupid questions til the end.

I am not exactly understanding how to use tools to view the DAT files. And as I mentioned, I wasn't sure if I uploaded the correct DAT file since the name appeared differently. But this flight track with it's ending in the same location as the TXT file shows appears right. This looks like a compilation of all the flights we took including the final track which led to the demise of the now named S.S. Minnow.

Please let me know if you would like me to dig through my flight record files further.

Reactions: Steel63 and RMS001
I'm just going to sit back and watch you experts decipher and wait for your NTSB style reports. I'll hold all my stupid questions til the end.

I am not exactly understanding how to use tools to view the DAT files. And as I mentioned, I wasn't sure if I uploaded the correct DAT file since the name appeared differently. But this flight track with it's ending in the same location as the TXT file shows appears right. This looks like a compilation of all the flights we took including the final track which led to the demise of the now named S.S. Minnow.

Please let me know if you would like me to dig through my flight record files further.

Are you looking for more detail than I put in post #8?

Are you looking for more detail than I put in post #8?

No Sar, not at all.
I am curious though, what software are you using to get that detail from?

Thanks for your analysis. That's obviously what I was hoping to hear. I will submit a claim with DJI and post back what resolution it comes to.
Thanks all for taking time to look over the event.

Does anyone have any advice on how to best submit a claim? When going through their support site, the only option I have is to submit a 'Repair Request', stating that 'Replacement Request' is only valid within 15 days of product receipt. I went through and submitted a repair request, but I suspect it won't get touched until they receive a something in the mail from me. Any hints on how best to approach them and increase my chances of having this issue recognized would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jim

No Sar, not at all.
I am curious though, what software are you using to get that detail from?

Thanks for your analysis. That's obviously what I was hoping to hear. I will submit a claim with DJI and post back what resolution it comes to.
Thanks all for taking time to look over the event.

The DAT log was processed using DatCon, and then I imported the data into my preferred analysis software - Wavemetrics Igor Pro.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21