DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost my new Mavic Pro in the Republic of Panama (GOT IT BACK three weeks later!)

Panamawise

Reactions
I wonder what went wrong... I admit to being a newbie: it was my seventh flight, but I had carefully done all the calibrations (compass, IMU, etc) following one of the best tutorials on YouTube. I had updated to the latest firmware, I was using DJI GO on my iPhone X, made sure I was on GPS mode, and ready to go, with the RTH box checked. I had foolishly assumed that if disconnected, the drone would automatically return home. I started off, as usual, from the flat roof of my 16-floor building. There was a little wind, but not too much. Did I venture too far away? It was hovering at perhaps 100 meter-altitude (the maximum allowed in my location is 120 meters) and was filming in a rotational manner. Suddenly the word "interference" popped on my screen, then it was "aircraft disconnected" while the controller showed "connecting" for one distressing hour... I was aware that I didn't have more than 15 minutes, but was hoping for a miracle which did not happen, of course. Alone on the roof, I didn't have the option to get closer to the drone and I didn't dare to turn the controller off and on. Not much I can do, I suppose, other than start saving for my next Mavic, and perhaps a Marco Polo tracker, but I wonder what happened to the aircraft... when it loses control, does it land vertically and gracefully, or does it stop and crashes to the floor like a stone?

Reactions: wsteele
Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

I wonder what went wrong... I admit to being a newbie: it was my seventh flight, but I had carefully done all the calibrations (compass, IMU, etc) following one of the best tutorials on YouTube. I had updated to the latest firmware, I was using DJI GO on my iPhone X, made sure I was on GPS mode, and ready to go, with the RTH box checked. I had foolishly assumed that if disconnected, the drone would automatically return home. I started off, as usual, from the flat roof of my 16-floor building. There was a little wind, but not too much. Did I venture too far away? It was hovering at perhaps 100 meter-altitude (the maximum allowed in my location is 120 meters) and was filming in a rotational manner. Suddenly the word "interference" popped on my screen, then it was "aircraft disconnected" while the controller showed "connecting" for one distressing hour... I was aware that I didn't have more than 15 minutes, but was hoping for a miracle which did not happen, of course. Alone on the roof, I didn't have the option to get closer to the drone and I didn't dare to turn the controller off and on. Not much I can do, I suppose, other than start saving for my next Mavic, and perhaps a Marco Polo tracker, but I wonder what happened to the aircraft... when it loses control, does it land vertically and gracefully, or does it stop and crashes to the floor like a stone?

Depends on what happened. If it was damaged, it may have plummeted down. If it was your settings set to hover, it could have landed at the last location.

Reactions: Panamawise
Thank you: [["2018-03-02 18:51:23","","Strong Interference to Remote Controller. Signal interruption maybe more likely. Fly with caution."]],[["2018-03-02 18:52:17","","Weak signal. Adjust antenna and avoid signal block."]],[["2018-03-02 18:52:27","","Ambient Light too Weak, Forwardobstacle sensing is unavailable."]],[["2018-03-02 18:52:38","","Adjust antenna and avoid signal block."],["2018-03-02 18:52:38","","Weak signal. Adjust antenna and avoid signal block."]]

Thank you: [["2018-03-02 18:51:23","","Strong Interference to Remote Controller. Signal interruption maybe more likely. Fly with caution."]],[["2018-03-02 18:52:17","","Weak signal. Adjust antenna and avoid signal block."]],[["2018-03-02 18:52:27","","Ambient Light too Weak, Forwardobstacle sensing is unavailable."]],[["2018-03-02 18:52:38","","Adjust antenna and avoid signal block."],["2018-03-02 18:52:38","","Weak signal. Adjust antenna and avoid signal block."]]

take that txt file and go to this site and upload it then post the link here :)

here is the site
DJI Flight Log Viewer

The log lists your takeoff altitude as 98 m MSL. When the aircraft was returning it was 45 m above the takeoff point. If the height of the tall building just south of you is more than 45 m above your location then it appears that it was in the return path, which may account for the loss of signal and the failure to RTH.

what did you have the RTH height set to?

The log lists your takeoff altitude as 98 m MSL. When the aircraft was returning it was 45 m above the takeoff point. If the height of the tall building just south of you is more than 45 m above your location then it appears that it was in the return path, which may account for the loss of signal and the failure to RTH.

yes looks like it run into P.H. Keops Tower

hummm that is 98 feet how tall is the P.H. Keops Tower?

WOW... I had no idea this data was available... Indeed, my starting point was from the roof of a 15 floor building, and the building next to me is taller! My MP might have crashed into it... I'll ask around this neighborhood tomorrow morning, just in case... I have yet to interpret the data correctly, but I would understand that when I faced an unexpected interference (at that point, no buildings nearby... the MP was safely hovering in place and I was taking a panoramic video, slowly girating) I was flying at 97 meters above my home point. Apparently, I lost contact for 2 minutes and then it was bravely returning to home, but at an altitude of 45 meters above my start off location. THANK YOU!

Reactions: jdubmiles
Good question... it is indeed TALLER than my building! I'm still sad, but at least the MP did attempt to return home!

yes it did and sorry to hear it may have crashed I hope you find it! :)

yes it did and sorry to hear it may have crashed I hope you find it! :)
I'm very grateful for all the help... I had assumed it was very far away from me... it might indeed have crashed into the building next door. I'll ask around tomorrow morning. I wish I had contacted the forum earlier!

I am thinking it did :(But depending on what setting you had set if may have hover intill battery was low then it would auto land

your drone is likely on the southwest lower roof of the P.H. Keops Tower.

here is an interpretation of your log: Flight analysis

looks you were panning around looking at those tall towers in the green circle on the bottom.
At one point during this manouver your RC signal was obstructed by the P.H. Keops Tower.
the drone then went into RTH and headed straight for the building that obstructed the RC signal (how ironic)
It reconnected just before impacting the south west of the tower.
Why it was much lower [45m] when hitting the tower compared to the [95m] when losing connection I don't understand. RTH should not have descended until above the home point, regardless of the RTH-altitude set in the app.

did you have your phone number on the drone?
I would try to get access to or a view of the southwest lower roof to see if your drone is there.
if not then asking at the bobby and leaving your number there might help. maybe hint at a reward.

good luck and let us know the result.

edit: the Keops Tower is 33 floors tall. You launched for the 15 story building next to it. the top of the tower is around 50-60 meter above your take-off point.

if you get the drone back you can get a .DAT log from the drone with even more and more complete data in it, and maybe video if you were recording at the time.

Last edited:
your drone is likely on the southwest lower roof of the P.H. Keops Tower.

here is an interpretation of your log: Flight analysis

looks you were panning around looking at those tall towers in the green circle on the bottom.
At one point during this manouver your RC signal was obstructed by the P.H. Keops Tower.
the drone then went into RTH and headed straight for the building that obstructed the RC signal (how ironic)
It reconnected just before impacting the south west of the tower.
Why it was much lower [45m] when hitting the tower compared to the [95m] when losing connection I don't understand. RTH should not have descended until above the home point, regardless of the RTH-altitude set in the app.

did you have your phone number on the drone?
I would try to get access to or a view of the southwest lower roof to see if your drone is there.
if not then asking at the bobby and leaving your number there might help. maybe hint at a reward.

good luck and let us know the result.

edit: the Keops Tower is 33 floors tall. You launched for the 15 story building next to it. the top of the tower is around 50-60 meter above your take-off point.

if you get the drone back you can get a .DAT log from the drone with even more and more complete data in it, and maybe video if you were recording at the time.

Again, thanks for the help and support. First thing in the morning, I went to the Keops building and was allowed to access the pool area, which overlooks the SW lower roof (of one floor-high small businesses). I could not see anything on that roof. However, one floor above the pool area, there is a private terrace... I'm trying to get in touch with the owner. Still hoping to find my drone... preferably in one piece, but to find its remains would at least bring closure. I'm going to post Reward flyers around the block. And yes, to put my cell phone number on the drone would have been a great idea... I had thought about it (!)

Reactions: Philbek

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman