DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Low light / Night shots flight settings

Do you turn off Obstacle avoidance system during low light/night flights?

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

welsewool

Reactions
Hi everybody!
Yesterday was my first low light flight and I faced a lot of issues.
1. Mavic is drifting a little bit both vertical and horizontal
2. DJI Go warned me about Obstacle Avoidance system problems

So I wanted to ask few questions:
- should I turn off Obstacle Avoidance system or just leave at turned on?
- any other parameters to be set to safe night flights?

PS. questions not about iso, shutter speed, etc., mostly about flight options.

Leave the obstacle avoidance on. As you'll only get warning for low ambient light. For instance if you forget to turn on during day time depending on where and how far/close your flying you could end up crashing. Also make sure your up to date with firmware update and if you still have issues with drifting in in gps more then download the dji assistant on your computer and calibrate

download the dji assistant on your computer and calibrate

Thanks! I've already done it! I just wanted to know whether it's low light conditions issue only and whether it's normal or not. During the day it's stable enough.

Low light shouldn't be an issue although I have noticed sometimes depending on the wind it might slightly move tiny bit around but hover back at the position

DEFINITELY TURN ALL VPS OFF IN LOW LIGHT!
The reason for doing this is because your Mavic can get confused sometimes seeing darkness or ambiance as an obstacle.

Leave the obstacle avoidance on. As you'll only get warning for low ambient light. For instance if you forget to turn on during day time depending on where and how far/close your flying you could end up crashing. Also make sure your up to date with firmware update and if you still have issues with drifting in in gps more then download the dji assistant on your computer and calibrate

Well looks the guy on the video
he didnt calibrated properly. You should left the mavic in the center and then rotate slightly to match whats on acreen. Dont follow what he does else you calibration will
Be faulty

DEFINITELY TURN ALL VPS OFF IN LOW LIGHT!
The reason for doing this is because your Mavic can get confused sometimes seeing darkness or ambiance as an obstacle.
ahhhh... o_O
so now we have 2 opposite opinions - turn off vs turn on. my own opinion is to turn off, but where is the true? couldn't find any info in manual... maybe i've missed smth?

Trust me it's the right thing to switch them off. Try to look at it this way, the sensors are designed only to be used in day time which is why in low ambient light they warn you. So if you look at it logically having them on will do absolutely nothing other than potentially confuse the aircraft and even cause a crash. Ask yourself what good will it do having them on?

Honestly mate switch forward and downward sensors off and you will have absolutely no worries in the darkness. As long as you are at an altitude you know is above anything and everything then you can enjoy a nice night flight worry free.

I have asked DJI Support this question and here our dialog and their answer:

Message: Hello! I wanted to ask you suggestion to fly Mavic Pro at night and low light conditions. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any exact instruction how to use it at low light and my question is: "Do you suggest to turn Obstacle Avoidance system OFF or turn it ON in low light (night)? What is the best option from your point of view? " Thanks

Thanks for the email.
I supoose it will not work that well in the night, since it recognizes the obstacles with great contrast. Wether it is better to turn it off or not I have to Forward it to the technician.

Thanks! Will wait your recommendations.

The techncian says the obstacle sensoring will not work in the night.
So it will not make difference to turn it off. If you turn it off you might fly quicker than have it on.

If it's off there will be no chance of disorientation on the aircraft. Trust me, keep it switched off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS