DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P batteries uncharged

Augustin Raj

Reactions
I bought a M2P about 8mts ago and till now hv not unboxed it yet due to restrictions in traveling. Will the battery have any problems if left uncharged.
Tks in advance for the advice

Reactions: RMuntan
Actually, I'm told that batteries come partially charged and should remain in storage that way and should not be stored for long periods fully charged. In fact, these batteries have auto-discharge capability, which I've just learned can be set (one at a time) in the Go4 app.

Someone please correct me if I have it wrong.

Actually, I'm told that batteries come partially charged and should remain in storage that way and should not be stored for long periods fully charged. In fact, these batteries have auto-discharge capability, which I've just learned can be set (one at a time) in the Go4 app.

Someone please correct me if I have it wrong.
Tks for the advice and appreciate it

Yes on the M2P, they'll auto discharge to 50% if not used for a while; the default is ten days, IIRC, but you can change this, and some of DJI's lower-spec drones don't have this capability at all. There will then be normal leakage of charge after this auto-discharge, until the battery eventually discharges entirely. This will take quite a bit of time though - likely to be several months. Allowing a rechargeable battery to fully discharge isn't ideal for the health of the battery, but isn't something to lose too much sleep over unless it's a frequent occurance.

It's also not a good idea to leave them on the shelf for too long (months) so if you tend to photographically hibernate over winter then a "top-up" charge to 70-80% every now and again is often recommended on forums, etc. Keeping batteries fully charged when they are not likely to be in use is not a good idea either as batteries will start to deteriorate slightly successive re-charge cycles, so it's best to find a routine that works for you and reduces the risk of having flat batteries when you arrive on site. Another tip is to remove the battery from the drone when in storage and put them in a cool, dry, place where a battery fire won't be a problem - battery failures are *very* rare, but do happen - a vented ammo box, or similar, on a concrete surface would be the gold standard.

Personally, I don't worry too much about the charging aspect, but do take precautions for fires, etc. - LiPo batteries burn hot and are tough to extinguish. So, I tend to rely on the 50% auto-discharge and leave it at that but, due to not flying because of Covid lockdown restrictions, I did do a top-up charge to just over 80% of all my batteries late June/early July or thereabouts - they were still above 25% at the time. My view is that when they age out, they age out, and I'll get a couple of replacement batteries when that happens.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez