DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M3- for Pro use it flies like a pig.

I am a “pro”, we operate several drones including a Mini 2, two M2Ps, two Inspire 2s, 2 P4RTKs and a Matrice 210V2. We purchased a Mavic 3 Cine in early December, just in time for the first firmware update. The second firmware update brought features we really need such as panorama mode. All in all we have had a good experience so far, the GNSS lock takes a bit longer after the second update, but overall it flies very well and captures stunning video. Being a 4/3 sensor the photo ratio is 4:3 not 3:2 like the M2P, yes you can select 3:2 ratio but you’re throwing away pixels. The panoramas created from the original M2P media are 27,000px x 13,500px, the M3 are around 23,000px x 11,500px so not as high res, however the M3 shoots the entire sphere in just a few seconds rather than the minute or more on the M2P. This is a game changer for windy conditions where the drone may move during capture.

We’re not ready to give up on the M2P just yet, but for ProRes video when we would normally use the I2, and for speedy panorama capture the M3 has earned a place in our fleet.

Reactions: Skyscope
Nothing against you @zeusfl but I hate that attitude toward a product that should have been right before release. If folks are to be “beta testers” then they should at least get a discount not pay full price for a product and then be expected to just be patient until they make it work right. That isn’t how it should work.

Mike
They did get a discount , in fact they got it free. They’re called You Tubers 🤣. I’ve never known a drone released perfect…

They did get a discount , in fact they got it free. They’re called You Tubers 🤣. I’ve never known a drone released perfect…
That is like saying a pro photographer that bought an M3 to do their work got it for free just because they paid for it with earnings from their business. Ridiculous.

Perfect maybe not but the complaints I hear about a supposed top of the line drone seem excessive.

Mike

Reactions: christangey
That is like saying a pro photographer that bought an M3 to do their work got it for free just because they paid for it with earnings from their business. Ridiculous.

Perfect maybe not but the complaints I hear about a supposed top of the line drone seem excessive.

Mike
A BUNCH of well-known YouTubers got advance copies for FREE to evaluate, critique and review several weeks before the official release. They held back any knowledge until after the release. They all knew of the missing features, and reported on that in their reviews. Most have since also reported on the firmware shortcomings, along with the great additions.

Last time I looked I had all sensors off anyway as they can cause their own issues when attempting fine control work, which is what I do (did) a lot of. It's bedtime here but I'll check all that in the morning.
I managed to get it to perform reasonably well at slow speeds with some aftermarket help. Extendable joysticks with an RC tripod mount. I find holding any RC has a major impact on my ability to be sensitive on the joysticks which I hold like pencils. I’ve gotten mine to perform reasonably well at slow speeds near objects. I do notice the side to side wobble while hovering, I factor that into my shots by starting the shot sooner, once the drone is actually moving forward it becomes stable and I fly the shot I want... edit the start point out in post. Mine doesn’t actually wobble side to side, but when I give it some gas it steps to the right about 20 inches then flys straight and stable. I factor in DJI errors lol.

The only thing I want is a tripod/Cine mode where I can adjust the max speed like my I2 had. I find Cine mode a bit quick, but I have the ability to run the sticks to make up for it, most pilots aren’t as talented in that area so DJI has some work to do to please them.

Flying this bird with stock sticks while holding the remote and flying with your thumbs is not going to yield good results at all.

A BUNCH of well-known YouTubers got advance copies for FREE to evaluate, critique and review several weeks before the official release. They held back any knowledge until after the release. They all knew of the missing features, and reported on that in their reviews. Most have since also reported on the firmware shortcomings, along with the great additions.
I am talking about the average Joe that paid full price and got something that should have been worked out better by dji and the Youtubers you talk about.

Mike

I managed to get it to perform reasonably well at slow speeds with some aftermarket help. Extendable joysticks with an RC tripod mount. I find holding any RC has a major impact on my ability to be sensitive on the joysticks which I hold like pencils. I’ve gotten mine to perform reasonably well at slow speeds near objects. I do notice the side to side wobble while hovering, I factor that into my shots by starting the shot sooner, once the drone is actually moving forward it becomes stable and I fly the shot I want... edit the start point out in post. Mine doesn’t actually wobble side to side, but when I give it some gas it steps to the right about 20 inches then flys straight and stable. I factor in DJI errors lol.

The only thing I want is a tripod/Cine mode where I can adjust the max speed like my I2 had. I find Cine mode a bit quick, but I have the ability to run the sticks to make up for it, most pilots aren’t as talented in that area so DJI has some work to do to please them.

Flying this bird with stock sticks while holding the remote and flying with your thumbs is not going to yield good results at all.
and yet it did on the M2P, and that is the big difference.

and yet it did on the M2P, and that is the big difference.
Ya I don’t know I’ve never flown that bird, I’ve heard nothing but good things about it. Flying low and slow in tight places is a lot of fun and gives good results, it is a struggle to get the M3 to perform in that situation. I know you know your stuff, it seems pretty obvious to me this 3 is not for professional use, everything about it screams novice/beginner. The Fly app is designed for beginners, the drone is designed for a novice pilot with very little if any experience. With some work you can make it perform, but as a pilot you need to be extra precise when low and slow.

The only reason I bought it (I’ve never liked any Mavics) is for the larger camera sensor which opens more doors in post. I would never recommend this drone to anyone who isn’t good at doing more complex edits. I know you can edit video, in time you will come around to see the extra possibility a larger sensor gives you in post.

First, get rid of those stock joysticks, I’ve never flown mine while using them not once, that’s the best way to improve the sensitivity which I’m sure you already know. The best precision on the sticks will come if you have something to set the RC on, trying to hold that RC while giving it a constant low speed is nearly impossible.

I know you can make that bird do what you want, but it’s not as easy as it was. DJI had novice pilots in mind when they built it, they don’t fly low and slow.

I’ve resorted to using either using tracking, master shots, or shooting 120FPS to try to keep the camera smooth. I have got to believe they are doing to fine tune this over time at DJI, but fully agree right now its frustrating to try to shoot anything slow or smooth and have pretty much gave i up stick flying for anything but fun.

it is a struggle to get the M3 to perform in that situation. I know you know your stuff, it seems pretty obvious to me this 3 is not for professional use, everything about it screams novice/beginner.

Except the pricing of course.

As mentioned, the camera is pro for stills, not much to muck up there . . . whether enough can be sorted for the majority (I dare say) of pilots that video though, that's the question.

Except the pricing of course.

As mentioned, the camera is pro for stills, not much to muck up there . . . whether enough can be sorted for the majority (I dare say) of pilots that video though, that's the question.
Yes that’s the big question, it performs very well in certain situations, but there is work to do. Needs some tweaks.

I’ve resorted to using either using tracking, master shots, or shooting 120FPS to try to keep the camera smooth. I have got to believe they are doing to fine tune this over time at DJI, but fully agree right now its frustrating to try to shoot anything slow or smooth and have pretty much gave i up stick flying for anything but fun.
I fly without OA on and it flys really well, certainly as good as my M2P. And this guy is a perfect example of what can be achieved, particularly with this camera.

I fly without OA on and it flys really well, certainly as good as my M2P. And this guy is a perfect example of what can be achieved, particularly with this camera.
Well one thing is for certain, he didn’t use a MP2 to shoot this video, that camera was looking up on an angle well beyond what the 2 can.

well not sure about that, but it seems WAY more on the M3.

Mavic 3 Gimbal Controllable Range​

• Tilt: -90° to 35°
    Pan: -5° to 5°

Mavic 2 Gimbal Controllable Range

Controllable RangeTilt: -90–30° Pan: -75–75°

However, spherical panos do not use the full upward gimbal elevation.
They only use about 12° above horizontal.

5 degrees can be significant for some uses, obviously it’s very noticeable to some on the M3.
It’s also quite significant walking with a backpack on when multi day walking alpine terrain , I can attest to that !😊😥
It still isn't WAY more...it's 17% more above the horizon, which is a noticeable improvement, but it still has another 55° to go, to look straight up, for a true Spherical Pano.

It still isn't WAY more...it's 17% more above the horizon, which is a noticeable improvement, but it still has another 55° to go, to look straight up, for a true Spherical Pano.
One of the things that struck me about the M3 was how it reminded me of my I2 with its ability to look up. A few years ago I was shooting the Frank Slide in AB and my P4P couldn’t look up enough to fit the top of the mountain in, was wishing I’d had my I2 with me. The ability to look up just that bit more can make a huge difference.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147