DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M3 Pricing supposedly leaked.

Because that's the main reason for the Mini line . Less than 250g for not having to register.

Remember that the US is not the sole market for a sub-250 gram drone. European regulations regulate flight operations according to the weight of the drone. 250 grams is the cut-off point for the simplest set of regulations. In the US, the new rules for flight over people include a more lenient category for sub-250 gram drones.

US registration of drones for recreational operations costs only $5 for three years for any number of drones, all using the same registration number. Not having to register is not much of a factor.

Remember that the US is not the sole market for a sub-250 gram drone. European regulations regulate flight operations according to the weight of the drone. 250 grams is the cut-off point for the simplest set of regulations. In the US, the new rules for flight over people include a more lenient category for sub-250 gram drones.

US registration of drones for recreational operations costs only $5 for three years for any number of drones, all using the same registration number. Not having to register is not much of a factor.
Agree with you, people like us, that have more than one drone and are involved in this world usually register but we are the minority. More than 2/3 of Mini owners are first time drone buyers that regularly don't register.
As you know, Flight over people is another story. Cat 1 which is for sub 250g drones will require prop covers. Until now there is no drone accepted for it. If the Mini 3 specs are what they seem to be, it won't qualify either.

Agree with you, people like us, that have more than one drone and are involved in this world usually register but we are the minority. More than 2/3 of Mini owners are first time drone buyers that regularly don't register.
As you know, Flight over people is another story. Cat 1 which is for sub 250g drones will require prop covers. Until now there is no drone accepted for it. If the Mini 3 specs are what they seem to be, it won't qualify either.
I think there's a general misunderstanding of how simple the registration process is. That leads new drone purchasers to put more significance into registration than it warrants.

For my first serious drone I considered the Mini and the Air 2, and part of the reason that I chose the Mini was to avoid registration. Had I known that registration was so quick, simple, and cheap I wouldn't have thought of it as an issue.

It seems certain that the 250-gram threshold is going to become increasingly significant in future regulations.

I think there's a general misunderstanding of how simple the registration process is. That leads new drone purchasers to put more significance into registration than it warrants.

For my first serious drone I considered the Mini and the Air 2, and part of the reason that I chose the Mini was to avoid registration. Had I known that registration was so quick, simple, and cheap I wouldn't have thought of it as an issue.

It seems certain that the 250-gram threshold is going to become increasingly significant in future regulations.
Sure thing. Registration is very simple and almost free. If newcomers would know that, as you said, many would do it.

Reactions: MS Coast
Because that's the main reason for the Mini line . Less than 250g for not having to register.
I don't think so.

The main reason for the 250 g limit is because many non-USA countries severely restrict or ban the use of drones heavier than that.

In the USA, people get the Mini-2 because it's the best beginner drone in that price range, by a wide margin. I'm sure some people in the USA are committed "non-registerers", but that it's a small fraction of the USA Mini-2 owning population.

I could be convinced otherwise...with data...

Thx,

MM

What's your data source for this assertion?

Even if it's true, the mere assertion is unpersuasive.

Personally I have no interest in flying over people, but I know that some do.

MM

I think this is exactly right. I resisted registering my Mini-2s at first, because I thought there had to be some "catch" to it. There isn't.

I registered one, because I didn't want to have to worry about the 250 g limit, but I put off registering the other two for a couple of months.

Registration in the USA is quick, painless, and almost free.

MM

Reactions: MS Coast
I personally feel DJI will release all their future offerings in consumer drones without proper beta testing, or fully featured as they advertise . . . and heck yeah as seen with the M3 / M3 Cine, even the Prosumer drones.

My M1P was released late 2016, I didn't get mine until into 2017, so can't say what it was like on release, but I found it worked pretty much flawlessly, all features worked, and it's been a strong drone ever since.

Likewise, my Spark released sometime in 2017 didn't need months of waiting for features / upgrades.

From what I can guess, this would be down to DJI simply having so much of the market, and the market has grown incredibly in recent years, they just find it hard to get a drone ready for market, and keep up with the huge supply / warranty type follow ups etc.
There is always pressure to release new and better drones too, not so much to do with almost non existent competition, but more to do with keeping the market fresh from their perspective.

They want large, medium, and small drone markets, then there is the camera range for pro drones, land based drones, handheld gimbals, action cams.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if they released an AUV sometime soon.

DJI seem to be spreading themselves thinly, so everything other than range will probably suffer to some degree.

I can only assume they don't / wouldn't do this with their top end drones like the Matrice and Agras etc, those must be almost totally perfect on release, or their names in the pro market would be muddied pretty quickly.
Where are you guys going to have an epiphany and sudden realise the M3 is way overpriced?

My "evidence" for my speculation about how widespread registration of sub-250g drones is simple human nature... You are not required to, and it costs real money. The vast majority of people don't do chores they don't have to, nor give away money for no reason or benefit.

I know I'm like that, pretty much everyone I know is, and I assert that most people are. Therefore, the rate of registration among sub250-only noobs is probably very low.

I could certainly be wrong – after all, I'm speculating – but I'm pretty sure I'm right 😁

Reactions: Faster
Where are you guys going to have an epiphany and sudden realise the M3 is way overpriced?
Do you mean the Mini-3? "M3" is an ambiguous identified at this point!

If you're talking about the Mini-3, why do you say it's overpriced?

Thx,

MM

It's hard to think of it as punishment...if you enjoy it...

View attachment 146840

MM
Do you enjoy expending time do up dates? Do you enjoy being prohibited to fly in areas where you are legal able to fly because of some clinch in DJI software? Do you enjoy paying high prices due to the lack of competition? Do you enjoy dealing with a poor customer service department?

Reactions: Faster
Do you enjoy expending time do up dates? Do you enjoy being prohibited to fly in areas where you are legal able to fly because of some clinch in DJI software? Do you enjoy paying high prices due to the lack of competition? Do you enjoy dealing with a poor customer service department?
Luckily Autel are providing some competition in the sub 250g space

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998