DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 - Is there a consensus on the new firmware and FLY app??

JackL

Reactions
I'm using DJI FLY 1.2.1 and this firmware and have almost no problems. I fly very far over the sea. Was thinking of doing the latest updates but I am getting such perfect performance and range I'm not sure if I should tempt fate!! Any Android people running the latest FW and FLY updates with no problems???

Screenshot_20201209-204957.png

I'm using DJI FLY 1.2.1 and this firmware and have almost no problems. I fly very far over the sea. Was thinking of doing the latest updates but I am getting such perfect performance and range I'm not sure if I should tempt fate!! Any Android people running the latest FW and FLY updates with no problems???

View attachment 124065
No reason to upgrade if you are happy with the current performance! A wise man once said, "If it ain't broke, don't go "fixing" it!"

You can always downgrade the firmware and the app, if you are not happy with the last one...Be noted - the new app is with changed orientation indicator...look in Youtube...

Reactions: Steel63 and JackL
You can always downgrade the firmware and the app, if you are not happy with the last one...Be noted - the new app is with changed orientation indicator...look in Youtube...
Not necessarily! Some DJI FW versions have anti-rollback features built into them which will not be disclosed! Do not count on always being able to rollback, if you don't like a FW update! When it comes to DJI, most new FW comes with more restrictions and less discretionary user control. Therefore, if everything is already working well, unless you have a compelling reason to update, don't!

Last edited:
Appreciate the corrections made re the orientation issue. Also noticed that the flight I did yesterday properly synched across the cloud to my macbook which it wasn't doing last week. A week ago, the flight would log but was shorter in duration. I also agree with updating. I think in the event of a failure, you'd be in a better place discussing with DJI that you had done the updates and were current rather than using outdated software / firmware. The updates are done for a reason(s) which may not be entirely clear.

I’m on 1.2.2 and I haven’t had any problems and I’m not going to do any updates any time soon because it’s flying to good now. I have read a lot of people having problems with all theses new updates. I wouldn’t do anything to it if it was me.

View attachment 124065

Run latest on FlyApp and drone - MA2 - with no issues with either. The FlyApp needs to be updated so you can get updates direct from DJI, as they are no longer in App Stores, but only direct from DJI for Android.

The drone firmware is good. Been flying over waterfalls and raging rivers here in Western NC with no issues from drone at all. My new android based Lenovo Tablet does seem to have small issues with sleep and video coming back on without a restart of tablet - but that is minimal and will simply turn everything OFF after flying and moving to new locations.

I suggest you be careful if you want to stay on an old app version because I believe that if you update your operating system (IOS) that your fly app will automatically update also.

I suggest you be careful if you want to stay on an old app version because I believe that if you update your operating system (IOS) that your fly app will automatically update also.
I am pretty sure you can turn that off.

I’m on 1.2.2 and I haven’t had any problems and I’m not going to do any updates any time soon because it’s flying to good now. I have read a lot of people having problems with all theses new updates. I wouldn’t do anything to it if it was me.

1.22 is what got me to this place!! It was a serious disaster for me so I settled into the combo I am using now. Though I literally just broke my tablet an hour ago so I am going to try some different FLY versions since I have to mess with a new tablet anyway.

Thanks everyone for the input!!! It is clear as mud now :)

I have an android that needs to be sideloaded with the apk so that won't happen even if I want it.

If I didn't believe in upgrading I would still have my P3 and I doubt if I would be flying much. The thrill was gone real fast with that behemoth. DJI improves things way to fast to not want to go with the flow.

I've updated mine no issues so far I to fly over the ocean a lot but that's your call good luck

If you have some special reason not to upgrade, for example you rely on some flying mode that you need advanced parameters to edit that you can only pop in on relatively old firmware that has far fewer features, like hyperlapse cruise, or you have read the changelogs and relevant threads of newer firmware and nothing interests you, then it sounds like you have your mind made up. However, for most others, when it comes to something like device and transmitter and battery firmware and software too, for a company that has proven itself pretty trustworthy including on the reliability front (to me at least), it would seem to me that the default advice should be to update everything when prompted. Can't roll back, yes that is irksome, but so does not rolling forward.

That said, first thing I do when i buy a phone is root it. That said, the phone doesn't fly.

Why might DJI implement anti-rollback? I would wager because they are attempting to reduce the number of crashes, radio interference, fly-aways and other noteworthy incidents no one wants. Cheers everybody!

For reference, you can grab the latest firmware release notes (and other stuff) here: Mavic Air 2 - Downloads - DJI, the most recent at the time of my posting being this. Probably just bullet points, I imagine there's more to these updates than what is listed.

Reactions: JackL

View attachment 124065
I am running the latest version of DJI Fly with NO problems.

Why might DJI implement anti-rollback?

Simple answer - to reduce the complexity of trying to support different versions of the software. Believe me, it is a nightmare trying to support different versions, particularly when there is constant development and improvements being added. They also do it when they are more confident about the reliability of the latest version.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter