DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 propeller guard question

CobraDriver

Reactions
1st off are they worth getting/installing? Is there a substantial increase in drag, loss of performance etc that makes these undesirable?.

2nd, I have seen the do not provide protection for the blades from the top (still can hit a ceiling and get damaged) because there is a very small amount of blade exposed on the topside. So I was thinking, these things are plastic right? How about putting them in some hot water, soften up the plastic a bit and bend them 1/8 of an inch upwards so the guard does go above the blades providing the protection needed.

Keep in mind, I will be doing alot of indoor flying AND I'm a newbie :)

they are desirable for indoor use, mainly from a safety aspect ,because the drone will be flying without GPS possibly, and the blades love nothing better than slicing through skin or other things they come into contact with they will not impact on the flight envelope when indoors but can be a problem outside if its windy, and if like the MM they could impact on height and distance settings with reduced amounts

1st: I would not fly indoors without them.

2nd: You could try heating and bending but you should not get within a foot of the ceiling. I got too close and my MP sucked itself right up to it.

Reactions: Mrmund
1st: I would not fly indoors without them.

2nd: You could try heating and bending but you should not get within a foot of the ceiling. I got too close and my MP sucked itself right up to it.
Well with enthusiasm and some time on my hands I have found a unit with the extended protection already being sold as long as waiting a month isn't an issue for you LOL

Well with enthusiasm and some time on my hands I have found a unit with the extended protection already being sold as long as waiting a month isn't an issue for you LOL

this would've been ideal if it joined in the center like the original DJI guards.

to answer OP, they do add substantial drag and whenever the drone detects it, it goes into payload mode by itself and the flight is slowed down a lot. it should not matter at all indoors as no way you will fly fast indoors anyway.

I tried the original ones, and they do a ok job when side obstacles happen to be present. But they do not give a anywhere near 100% safety margin against side crash.

in active tracking i think having them on gives a bit more margin against erroneous flight path choices ie sideways.

its a shame they are not like the ones supplied with MM they do a real good job, as they go over the top of the blades and prevent contact with objects above the drone, and if you go up to the ceiling then, until you throttle down the mm just stays there

1st off are they worth getting/installing? Is there a substantial increase in drag, loss of performance etc that makes these undesirable?.

2nd, I have seen the do not provide protection for the blades from the top (still can hit a ceiling and get damaged) because there is a very small amount of blade exposed on the topside. So I was thinking, these things are plastic right? How about putting them in some hot water, soften up the plastic a bit and bend them 1/8 of an inch upwards so the guard does go above the blades providing the protection needed.

Keep in mind, I will be doing alot of indoor flying AND I'm a newbie :)
Cut four lengths of lightweight plastic rod long enough to reach above the rotors and super glue them on to the protection frames in each quadrant (balance the drone). Add some soft foam caps so that they won’t mark your ceilings. But still look out for light fittings, door frames and ceiling fans ...... ? ???

Cut four lengths of lightweight plastic rod long enough to reach above the rotors and super glue them on to the protection frames in each quadrant (balance the drone). Add some soft foam caps so that they won’t mark your ceilings. But still look out for light fittings, door frames and ceiling fans ...... ? ???
Brilliant!!! I like it, thank you.

I tried to like your post 3 times but it won't let me LMAO?

I was debating doing that with some of the thin bamboo "barbecue skewers" that one can buy. They're *really* strong for their weight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive