DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magic 3, the saviour.

Martin_D

Reactions
I’m in the UK and just over 12months ago the CAA were changing the rules for flying our drones. Everyone who owned a drone had to do an online test and register as a pilot in order legally fly our drones. In addition to this we were told that after December 2022 the spec of the drones were changing in order to be able fly them, this was to include a receiver that would warn the operator of aircraft in the area.
Okay don’t start shouting at me if I’ve missed something, but I haven’t seen anything to confirm that the Magic 3 is capable of doing this.
So why are people raving and winging as to what it can or can’t do… when the one thing that the UK pilots were hoping for was to carry on flying with freedom in 2023!
It appears to be a big investment if it be flown freely.
I would love to hear what pilots think about the freedom to fly and if there’s a planned work round to the future legal requirements.

That's because as a former EU member your authorities worked together in creating the 2019/947 COMMISSION IMPLEMENTING REGULATION (EU) 2019/947 of 24 May 2019 on the rules and procedures for the operation of unmanned aircraft which is now also your general model.

What you are refering to is ADS-B and the M3 features it by the name AirSense (as the Mavic Air 2S already, unlike M2P and M2Z). I am not sure for the UK now, but the M3 has NO, I repeat, still NO C classification (most likely C1... another thing that DJI and the authorities lack of providing ... but it's said, it will be done retroactively). So it's possible to fly under the legacy rules up to 31.12.2022.

I wouldn't invest > 3k EUR/GBP for the hope of a later classification to be honest even if all the specs are there.

Last edited:
This certainly needs clarifying and sorting long before the 31.12.2022. I was looking forward to the launch of the Magic 3, but if it’s capable of complying with the (up to now) proposed legislation it becomes an expensive lemon and I’ll be hanging on to the Mavic 2 pro.

Yeah ... you just hang on to your M2P until this with the C classification is fully transparent ... as of now the authorities in charge of this have never ever approved anything retroactively... so I don't have high hopes.

This certainly needs clarifying and sorting long before the 31.12.2022. I was looking forward to the launch of the Magic 3, but if it’s capable of complying with the (up to now) proposed legislation it becomes an expensive lemon and I’ll be hanging on to the Mavic 2 pro.
It doesn’t comply. It will be a legacy drone (underA3) when the rules change.
The only current DJI drone that won’t be affected by the changes in the law will be the Mini/Mini2.

Exactly.
Wouln't bet on it, not even saying it's 50:50 ... more like 80:20 for a post-classification.

That said, M3 was eagerly awaited du to its MOTM < 900 g granting C1 whereas the M2P will always be necessary to fly in A2 (which is more like 99:1 no without a class), without a class A3 far away of people.

I guess, DJI simply doesn't really care anymore or enforce, it's the EU, too many countries and stake holders, even now with unified rules, it is just more work for a smaller market than US/Canada and China. 😔

So why are people raving and winging as to what it can or can’t do… when the one
The majority of those raving about it are likely not subject to EU or UK rules or they don't "give a toss" or know no better or are just gambling etc. etc.

From my impression, most users here are based in North America, which is way more important as a market than old Europe for Europe. Sad to be the fifth wheel, but reality.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Duhr