DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magnetic or Reversible charging cables: Do they work for you?

Which of these charging cables have you used, and how did you like them?

• I bought the magnetic cable, and it works for charging via the Micro USB port on my controller

Votes: 42 95.5%
  • I bought the reversible cable, and it works for charging via the Micro USB port on my controller

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I bought the magnetic cable, and it DOES NOT work for charging the controller

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I bought the reversible cable, and it DOES NOT work for charging the controller

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I ordered the cables but maybe I'm not clear but wouldn't you just need an adapter that plugs in once to the side port and you end up plugging the charging cable from the charger into the adapter?Why would you need a cable hanging out of the side port when using the controller.

Did you get your cables yet? Not sure I understand your question. :)

Which is "ultimately" better... opinions aside? Magnetic or Reversible? My thought is to use on the controller side port. I see pros/cons of both. But since I've never bought any, I dunno

The side port of the original RC (not the new SmartController) is supposedly fragile and the only port you can use to charge it with. Assuming it is indeed fragile, then the objective is to minimise wear and tear on the port, so the "best" solution is the one that lets you do that.

Reversible cables get you part way there as they take the guess work out of which way to insert the cable, thus minimising wear and tear, but you still need to plug it in each time you need to charge the RC. Alternatively, you can leave one of the supplied stub-cables permanently connected and get an appropriate cable to let you re-charge via a standard USB charger (USB type A to the the inverse of the sub cable).

The magnetic cables only require the magnetic "stub" be attached once, so much less wear and tear. Assuming you have a compatible stub in your RC and phone/tablet, you can also use the same cable to charge your RC as connect your tablet. One cable, two (or more) stubs, no wear and tear on the RC charging port - hands down winner IMHO.

You can get extra NetDot stubs without cables too - just make sure you get the correct type for the version of your cable(s)!

Did you get your cables yet? Not sure I understand your question. :)

Sorry,clarity is not my strong point.Re the side charging port on the controller-to avoid plugging and unplugging from the fragile mini USB would you just need an adapter that stays in the mini USB port and has a mini USB port to plug the charger cord into?It sounded like it was recommended to plug in a cable with a mini USB port and leave it there always-even when flying.

Sorry,clarity is not my strong point.Re the side charging port on the controller-to avoid plugging and unplugging from the fragile mini USB would you just need an adapter that stays in the mini USB port and has a mini USB port to plug the charger cord into?It sounded like it was recommended to plug in a cable with a mini USB port and leave it there always-even when flying.
These magnetic cables come with that little plug that stays in the port forever. If you want it to. It disconnects from the cable and just stays in the port.

Reactions: offtheback
Have a look at the side port of my controller here @offtheback - you'll notice that the NetDot cable tip (white oval object) is left in the side-port of the controller. It stays there all the time, and I just connect the magnetic block end of the NetDot cable (which has a USB-A plug on the other end of the cable), to that tip to charge the controller. When I'm flying, the tip remkains in the controller as shown in the picture, and I use a short USB-A to USB-C cable from the bottom port in the controller. The idea being that I never have to stress the micro-USB connector on the side of the controller by plugging in and out of it.

IMG_20181124_095144.jpg

Have a look at the side port of my controller here @offtheback - you'll notice that the NetDot cable tip (white oval object) is left in the side-port of the controller. It stays there all the time, and I just connect the magnetic block end of the NetDot cable (which has a USB-A plug on the other end of the cable), to that tip to charge the controller. When I'm flying, the tip remkains in the controller as shown in the picture, and I use a short USB-A to USB-C cable from the bottom port in the controller. The idea being that I never have to stress the micro-USB connector on the side of the controller by plugging in and out of it.

View attachment 60740
Does yours ever fall out? I've been using mine for almost a year and it's never fallen off in fact it's quite a tight fit.

Does yours ever fall out? I've been using mine for almost a year and it's never fallen off in fact it's quite a tight fit.
No - it's never fallen out, but I do have to be careful when I disconnect after charging. If I pull the cable directly back, then the tip will remain attracted to the magnetic cable-end and it wil come out, but if I 'break' the connection by tipping the magnetic block to the side, then it comes off easily and doesn't disturb the tip.

Reactions: Former Member
No - it's never fallen out, but I do have to be careful when I disconnect after charging. If I pull the cable directly back, then the tip will remain attracted to the magnetic cable-end and it wil come out, but if I 'break' the connection by tipping the magnetic block to the side, then it comes off easily and doesn't disturb the tip.

Similar here. The plug in my phone is very snug, but the ones in my RC and tablet would come out if I pulled the cable straight back rather than tip it, or applied a sharp tap to the opposite side.

As an extra precaution against accidental loss, which would no doubt occur when it was least convenient, I applied some PVA glue (the white stuff young kids have in school) to the join between the plug and the devices after insertion. They'll still come cleanly apart if I rub off the glue with a bit of friction from a finger tip, but otherwise they're all now solid as a rock.

I tried NetDots v.3 magnetic cables, but returned them, because little tip didn't stay at place, and was coming out, every time I wanted to detach the cable.

I bought Llama cables, and that solved the problem with micro usb (my controllers) but had problems with my iOS devices (I had to connect and disconnect many times, to get them start charging).

Non of the magnetic cables was good for data, sometimes they were working, most times they were not.

Anyway, I use Llama for my controllers, and all good.

I have ordered some reversible cables too, to use as data cables with my android devices (and not only).

Thanks Thunderdrones for all useful info.

But is that Micro USB port on the controller the only way to connect the RC to a PC to use DJI Assistant for firmware upgrades? Or is the bottom USB USB Port usable for that?

The charging cable doesn't do data, as I understand it, so it wouldn't work for firmware upgrades, no?

Still, these magnetic cables look like a good idea, since we charge a lot more than we upgrade FW ;-)

But is that Micro USB port on the controller the only way to connect the RC to a PC to use DJI Assistant for firmware upgrades? Or is the bottom USB USB Port usable for that?

The charging cable doesn't do data, as I understand it, so it wouldn't work for firmware upgrades, no?

Still, these magnetic cables look like a good idea, since we charge a lot more than we upgrade FW ;-)
No, the bottom usb port cannot be used for connecting RC to pc, except if someone has tried a usb type a male, to usb type a male cable.

I make almost all my RC updates, via the go4 app.
For me, RC updates are rare, anyway.

I tried NetDots v.3 magnetic cables, but returned them, because little tip didn't stay at place, and was coming out, every time I wanted to detach the cable.

I bought Llama cables, and that solved the problem with micro usb (my controllers) but had problems with my iOS devices (I had to connect and disconnect many times, to get them start charging).

Non of the magnetic cables was good for data, sometimes they were working, most times they were not.

Anyway, I use Llama for my controllers, and all good.

I have ordered some reversible cables too, to use as data cables with my android devices (and not only).

Thanks Thunderdrones for all useful info.

Do you have a link to the Llama cables jut in case someone else had the same problem?

Reactions: pvs
I’m using the 2nd gen NetDots with no issues [emoji6]. I also have 2 other tablets with them, no issues. Best $12 spent for 3 sets including Velcro straps for each and a zip lock storage bag.

6e57b356871efd7f659dd5764a1e74a0.jpg

30c4d0936473dca36e3d237d61fbde6f.jpg

a9384679fa2a427f321724719d0ed3b2.jpg

No, the bottom usb port cannot be used for connecting RC to pc, except if someone has tried a usb type a male, to usb type a male cable.

I make almost all my RC updates, via the go4 app.
For me, RC updates are rare, anyway.
Yeah, I was wondering about using a USB A to USB A cable. I don't currently own one, else I would have tried it and reported here, instead of asking.

I agree, RC FW upgrades are rare, but it would be nice to know if anyone has tried this connection. If it works, it would give another reason to use these magnetic connectors on the micro usb, imo.

I have been using these magnetic and reversible charging cables for almost 9 months, and they work really well for me. I leave one end of the magnetic cable plugged in to my controller, and then when Im ready to charge, I just put the cable near the port, and it snaps itself together magnetically. I use my bottom port for data, so I leave the end of this magnetic cable plugged in permanently.

I also use these reversible USB cables on peoples drones that I repair. No chance of putting it in the wrong way, and wont damage the port.

Which ones have you used, and how did you like them?

I dont get any money for recommending these cables, Im just always looking for innovative accessories to make our lives easier.

Magnetic cables:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XVRBTXK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_eYptCb981Y8RV

View attachment 60641

Reversible cables:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EV1LEIA/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_98ptCbHWBPKME

View attachment 60640

Ordered the magnetic cables. Good thread, thanks Rob.

Ordered the magnetic cables. Good thread, thanks Rob.
Yeah, I wound up ordering a set of them, too, as they look like they'll make setup/break down easier and reduce the risk of damaging the RC's MicroUSB Port.

FWIW, I also ordered a USB A to USB A cable so I can test if the bottom RC port can be used for FW updates thru DJI Assistant. This cable is, unfortunately, on a slow boat from China, and is not predicted to be delivered until Feb or March ... but once I get it, I'll report back here as to whether or not that bottom port is usable. If it IS, I see no reason to ever use anything but the magnetic connector in that MicroUSB on the RC's left side.

Yeah, I wound up ordering a set of them, too, as they look like they'll make setup/break down easier and reduce the risk of damaging the RC's MicroUSB Port.

FWIW, I also ordered a USB A to USB A cable so I can test if the bottom RC port can be used for FW updates thru DJI Assistant. This cable is, unfortunately, on a slow boat from China, and is not predicted to be delivered until Feb or March ... but once I get it, I'll report back here as to whether or not that bottom port is usable. If it IS, I see no reason to ever use anything but the magnetic connector in that MicroUSB on the RC's left side.

Which one did you order? The Amazon ones usually get here within a few days...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev