DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magnetic or Reversible charging cables: Do they work for you?

Which of these charging cables have you used, and how did you like them?

• I bought the magnetic cable, and it works for charging via the Micro USB port on my controller

Votes: 42 95.5%
  • I bought the reversible cable, and it works for charging via the Micro USB port on my controller

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I bought the magnetic cable, and it DOES NOT work for charging the controller

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I bought the reversible cable, and it DOES NOT work for charging the controller

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I tried NetDots v.3 magnetic cables, but returned them, because little tip didn't stay at place, and was coming out, every time I wanted to detach the cable.

I bought Llama cables, and that solved the problem with micro usb (my controllers) but had problems with my iOS devices (I had to connect and disconnect many times, to get them start charging).

Non of the magnetic cables was good for data, sometimes they were working, most times they were not.

Anyway, I use Llama for my controllers, and all good.

I have ordered some reversible cables too, to use as data cables with my android devices (and not only).

Thanks Thunderdrones for all useful info.

Not being good for data was what I was afraid of. Using the side micro USB port only for charging and not for data was a revelation! I never considered using the same bottom port I use with my CrystalSky to also use with my iPhone (sometimes I go with the iPhone to save space with packing). And, I always thought that if a cable was plugged into the side port, the bottom port would not work. I guess just having the magnetic nub in place doesn't deactivate the bottom port at all!

Sweet! Amazon can have more of my money now.

Received my NetDot mgnetic cables today and they work great. I wonder if people who say the plug comes out had pushed it all the way in which is understandable because the ports are so delicate. I really like that this area is now enclosed. With the Mavic Air you could have the side port and bottom plugged in and you could still run the drone but with my M2P that is not the case and I did not like having the port exposed.
While I was at it I also bought 1' USB cables for the bottom port so that I don't have all the loose cable from the lightening ones. 1' is just enough to attach to my 9.7 ipad on the Mavmount with no sharp kinks, it was close.
Thanks again Rob.

Last edited:
I have just received mine but alas I do not have the remote controller to try them out at the moment. The socket on he air was faulty!!!!!!! thus the purchase to prevent further send backs to DJI.

Does yours ever fall out? I've been using mine for almost a year and it's never fallen off in fact it's quite a tight fit.

MIne does
The magnet is stronger than the friction of the side USB-micro connector so it keeps pulling out.
Probably a sign that my controller connector is worn
Steve

MIne does
The magnet is stronger than the friction of the side USB-micro connector so it keeps pulling out.
Probably a sign that my controller connector is worn
Steve
Likewise. Netdot3 cable here. Nice cables, seem very well made!!! But though the initial insertion into the Mavic Air RC seemed really snug, the first time I went to detach the cable, it just unplugged from the socket.

Mine cannot have been a worn connector, though, as my RC is pretty new.

I am still awaiting my USB A to USB A cable to see if it works to use the bottom RC port to a PC with DJI Assistant2. If THAT works, I'll probably ... very carefully ... crazy glue the magnetic insert into the RC left side port, as I don't think I'll ever need that port to do anything else but charge.

Thumbs up for the magnetic cables, all the same! It is SO MUCH easier to connect.

Likewise. Netdot3 cable here. Nice cables, seem very well made!!! But though the initial insertion into the Mavic Air RC seemed really snug, the first time I went to detach the cable, it just unplugged from the socket.

I am still awaiting my USB A to USB A cable to see if it works to use the bottom RC port to a PC with DJI Assistant2. If THAT works, I'll probably ... very carefully ... crazy glue the magnetic insert into the RC left side port, as I don't think I'll ever need that port to do anything else but charge.

Thumbs up for the magnetic cables, all the same! It is SO MUCH easier to connect.

I can't get my plug to pull out - don't take this wrong, just asking, is it firmly pushed in? The ports are so fragile I was afraid to click mine in securly the first time.

Reactions: Former Member

Can I give you some advice? Don't use Krazy glue on anything ever on your drone! If you want to keep the plug in place, use just a drop of something like loctite flexible adhesive which is removable or you could also use shoe goo. They are a non permanent adhesive, so you can just scrape it off if you ever want to get the plug out.

If you do decide to use flexible adhesive, you can put the plug in 1st and then put the drop of adhesive on the side of the plug. Try not to get any inside the holes of the controller or on the surface of the plug, but you can always scrape it off again. It usually takes about 3 hours to fully cure.

I know that I've always told people not to use glue on your drone, but in this case it's an exception.

Last edited:
Reactions: pvs
I can't get my plug to pull out - don't take this wrong, just asking, is it firmly pushed in? The ports are so fragile I was afraid to click mine in securly the first time.
I THINK so. I pressed it in pretty hard. I don't want to break the port that I bought the cable to protect. But I will check it again, definitely. I really would rather not resort to crazy glue. ;-)

[edit] Yeah, I checked, it is definitely pushed in as far as it will go, but the cable can easily pull it out if the angle is right. Again, I really like the cable, and think it helps. You just need to be aware that detaching the magnet requires rocking the cable away from the connector, rather than trying to pull it away.

Or maybe some glue, as discussed above/below.
[/edit]

Last edited:
Can I give you some advice? Don't use Krazy glue on anything ever on your drone! If you want to keep the plug in place, use just a dab/dot of something like loctite flexible adhesive which is removable or you could also use shoe goo. They are a non permanent adhesive, so you can just scrape it off if you ever want to get the plug out.
Advice taken ... thanks.

I purchased them having my Type C port ruined once on a smartphone but the magnetic clip could be easily disconnected while flying. I was worried over a disconnect, a not uncommon issue, and stayed with the direct micro usb or type C connection depending on the phone I am using. As convenient as the magnetic clips were they would easily break loose when flying.

Last edited:
I use the magnetic cable for charging, after not following advice and wiping out an RC. So now it's only magnetic charge cables for both the replacement and the repaired original one. Someone mentioned being able to get additional tips for the cables. I bought two cables locally (Philippines where I'm vacationing), two different brands. I noticed the two are not interchangeable, the magnetic polarity is opposite in the two, cable north on one and cable south on the other. Is there a way to specify the polarity when ordering tips, and where do you order them from?

Mine were falling, not only from RC, but from my other devices too.
They were firmly pushed.
All my cables (not magnetic) click in firmly.
I also bought another brand magnetic cables and are ok.

I think some NetDot magnetic pins for micro usb, are made faulty.

Might be a silly question but...can the strong magnetic field of these micro USB inserts affect the operations of the RC?
I know the aircraft is susceptible to magnetic fields, but is the RC basically immune?
Thanks.

Might be a silly question but...can the strong magnetic field of these micro USB inserts affect the operations of the RC?
I know the aircraft is susceptible to magnetic fields, but is the RC basically immune?
Thanks.

From the posts in this thread, and using my RC several times since, nope.
The craft is susceptible to mag interference, but not the RC from the small plug in.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev