DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magnetic or Reversible charging cables: Do they work for you?

Which of these charging cables have you used, and how did you like them?

• I bought the magnetic cable, and it works for charging via the Micro USB port on my controller

Votes: 42 95.5%
  • I bought the reversible cable, and it works for charging via the Micro USB port on my controller

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I bought the magnetic cable, and it DOES NOT work for charging the controller

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I bought the reversible cable, and it DOES NOT work for charging the controller

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
From the posts in this thread, and using my RC several times since, nope.
The craft is susceptible to mag interference, but not the RC from the small plug in.

No problems here either. All the important GPS stuff is on the drone, so no worries there, and while there may be a little distortion of the RF field from the RC it doesn't seem like is has any noticeable effect on the transmission range or ability to send/receive a clear signal.

I believe the piece that is magnetic is not the piece left in the plug when cable is separated from the tip.

I have never had a problem either!

Oh, I didn't think of that!

Thanks, guys.

I purchased them having my Type C port ruined once on a smartphone but the magnetic clip could be easily disconnected while flying. I was worried over a disconnect, a not uncommon issue, and stayed with the direct micro usb or type C connection depending on the phone I am using. As convenient as the magnetic clips were they would easily break loose when flying.
I would not use the magnetic cable for flying come only for charging.

Might be a silly question but...can the strong magnetic field of these micro USB inserts affect the operations of the RC?
I know the aircraft is susceptible to magnetic fields, but is the RC basically immune?
Thanks.
The controller is not vulnerable to magnetic Interference from the cable in my experience. The sticks on the controller are heavily shielded to withstand outside interference. Could you imagine if they weren't even in the course of normal daily flying? There would be a lot more crashes.

Looks like Amazon is out of stock on the red reversible cable right now but it looks like it will be back in stock next week for everyone in the USA.

Hello just wanted to ask about any of these micro-usb magnetic charging cables for the Mavic2/pro controller ,can any be used for data transfer as to updating the software on the remote controller while using these also via pc..?

Hello just wanted to ask about any of these micro-usb magnetic charging cables for the Mavic2/pro controller ,can any be used for data transfer as to updating the software on the remote controller while using these also via pc..?

Yes. You can leave the plug in the controller, then connect it up to your PC with the same cable. I have found that most of the time they work for data transfer, sometimes they dont. You can always take the plug out and stick in a regular Micro USB cable for FW update.

Updates once in a while wont cause problems with taking the plug out, if your magnetic cable wont carry data. Removing the plug every so often will cause less damage than plugging a cable in there to charge it every day. :)

what are some cables you highly recommend that would work... there are soo
many out there
on the market... links?

Some of the magnetic cables say they can be used for data transfers.
I pulled up many versions on Amazon.
Read the descriptions or titles carefully and order up a set and try them.
If you find a set that works out well, post a link to them [emoji6]

Likewise. Netdot3 cable here. Nice cables, seem very well made!!! But though the initial insertion into the Mavic Air RC seemed really snug, the first time I went to detach the cable, it just unplugged from the socket.

Mine cannot have been a worn connector, though, as my RC is pretty new.

I am still awaiting my USB A to USB A cable to see if it works to use the bottom RC port to a PC with DJI Assistant2. If THAT works, I'll probably ... very carefully ... crazy glue the magnetic insert into the RC left side port, as I don't think I'll ever need that port to do anything else but charge.

Thumbs up for the magnetic cables, all the same! It is SO MUCH easier to connect.
Just a note regarding the part I bolded in orange, above. I finally received the USB A Male to USB A Male cable today, and tried connecting the RC to the computer using the bottom USB port on the RC. Unfortunately, it did not work.

Admittedly, I only tried it with this one cable, but while not expensive, it took FOREVER to be shipped from China, so I don't think I'll try a retest. It's a shame, and I have to admit, I was surprised, as I really thought it was going to work.

Oh well ... I promised to report back, so there it is, FWIW. Wish it was better news.
-pvs

I love the magnetic quick connector idea, thank you Thunder Drones for bringing it to my attention.
I bought 2 sets of 3 pieces in different lengths and currently use it on most of my devices that get charged regularly. The best thing about it is that now one charging block+ one cable can charge my Apple devices, android phone table, DJI remote, DJI goggles and so on.
I don't need to swap the cables because the netdot magnetic end is compatible and will snap to any stub that is in the electronic device. like this
netdot.JPG

But here is the problem, both end of the connectors are strong magnets and will start collecting metal pieces.
I went to fly my drone. The remote, drone, DJI goggle was in my car's trunk in a cardboard box, the drone in a soft case,
I was trying to connect the remote to my ipad and the two pulled together but it was wobbling and would not connect.
I pulled them apart to find both pieces were full of small black metal shavings. When I got home I looked at my phone's connector, it also had metal shaving that it picked it up somewhere.
Being a magnet it will just keep collecting anything that is ferrous metal, including metal paper clips on my desk- if it gets near it.
Look how the debris started to embed itself into the soft plastic housing that holds the pins that transfer the signal/ electric current. The soft plastic will eventually be destroyed.
Here are some close-up pics. This is after I used compressed air to blow away the debris from the connector end pieces.
Wed Feb 27 20-11-47.jpgWed Feb 27 20-13-00.jpg
Wed Feb 27 20-00-23.jpg

Last edited:
The sad part is that since both pieces are magnets they will transfer the metallic debris to one-another. It is like STD, STI.
I ended up throwing away this set. Now I am babying my other sets, trying to find ways to not to get them near anything metallic.

Wow [emoji50]. How do you have so much material being picked up? I’ve been using these for a few months on almost everything that takes a charger, and I just looked at all of them to see if I had any debris... none that I could see.

It's hard to see with the naked eye even with a magnifier, smaller pieces will be just tinny dots.
The only thing I could think of my car's trunk (carpet) must have had some residue of metal shavings of some sort. Or the cardboard box was contaminated, it did come from my garage where I do metal fab.
In my office I have a netdot USB cable laying across my desk I use to charge my phone and my wireless headset. The magnetic end will pull paper clips , push pins, some USB drives, and even a micro SD card - the pin end have ferrous metal.
On the day, when the cable would not connect, it had a solid black line of debris inside the connector.
I've tried strong large magnet to remove the debris, but it was just moving around inside the connector and would not come out. 110psi of compressed air removed most of it.

Last edited:
i use a small plastic end caps of different cables on my magnetic cables, example like the ones that come on when u purchase a hdmi cable,very similar & protective of debris ! just like in these pics, got em
on amazon...does the job! IMG_4652.JPG View attachment 64421

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman