DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mapping in Remote Areas

mouflon

Reactions
I’m looking for the best mapping app and software for use in remote areas without cell coverage. I’ve read many useful discussions about the DroneDeploy and Pixel4d but am still not sure if this will meet my needs and want a solution in place before my next expedition. I will be out of cell range for 6 days across a large area of desert. Equipment: Magic Pro Plat and running IOS. I need to map multiple locations spread out across several days. I am unsure how/if caching a map will work as the recommendations I read so far are to cache the map then turn off the phone and bring it up again just before flying. That will only work for the first location. Related, I wonder what options exist for planning a flight grid from a launch point without using a sat map, i.e. pre-programming a grid by size and resolution from a point but without pre-determined points. This would’ve great for exploratory use in the field without being able to pre-plan the flight. Thank you!

Hello,
I would recommend testing either the Map Pilot for iOS app or DJI's GS Pro application for remote mapping missions. We've had great luck with both. Here is an example project we completed in the Colorado backcountry where there is no internet, 3G, 4G, cellular connectivity. Let us know if you have any questions. Thanks,
DroneMapper

Remote Drone Mapping on Grand Mesa, Colorado

Exact versions of software used:

Phantom 3 Advanced Firmware: 1.8.10
MapPilot Version: 1.5.0 build 031916
DJI Go App Version: 2.8.6
Ipad Mini4 iOS Version: 9.3.3
Remote Expert Version: v0.8 b20170829-842 x64
Global Mapper Version: v18

https://dronemapper.com

drone-mapping8_r.jpg

Reactions: ksmusa