DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Marketing Misstep for DJI

JGF21

Reactions
I've been reading and reflecting on all of the pro vs air threads and comments, and it struck me that DJI could have easily put all the angst to rest by naming this drone the Spark Pro. This manages expectations right out of the box. In most ways, the Air is more similar to the Spark, and I'm okay with that.

DJI could have easily put all the angst to rest by naming this drone the Spark Pro
I'm sure all of the Spark owners would be outraged then. They'd surely complain and insist it be called a Mavic Standard since the Spark does not fold up ;)

I'm sure all of the Spark owners would be outraged then. They'd surely complain and insist it be called a Mavic Standard since the Spark does not fold up ;)

im more in line with this. It really is more a "mavic" than "spark". When you have names, usually there are standout features that identify it. In this case, because it folds up, it identifies as a Mavic, since thats a stand out feature. If it didnt fold up, was the same size, but had a 4K camera, etc. Then Spark Pro more fits.

People dont understand that it isn't supposed to be "better than the Pro" its why its not called the "Pro 2" its called the "Air" and its cheaper. Not every release should be better in every way than the predecessor. The iPad Air was a lighter, smaller, few less feature than the iPad Pro. Same conditions here, If it was better than the Mavic Pro in every way, it would be called the Pro2, not the Air.

Perhaps i'm in the minority here, but if it seems like a reasonable feature set for the price, I couldn't care less what the box says on it. I'm not really sure where this armchair market strategy analysis is getting anyone.

It is what it is. No matter what it’s called. All the information you need to know about it is readily available if you choose to research before you purchase.

I've been reading and reflecting on all of the pro vs air threads and comments, and it struck me that DJI could have easily put all the angst to rest by naming this drone the Spark Pro. This manages expectations right out of the box. In most ways, the Air is more similar to the Spark, and I'm okay with that.

I think they should have just chosen a new name, rather than Mavic jr or Spark sr.

DJI decided to call it the air, The pro owners will just have to live with it there is a new kid on the block now. When the mavic 2 comes out they will forget all about the air and go and moan about something else [emoji3]

Reactions: Terrormax
It's only a freaking name...get over it already. DJI could have named this thing "Kim Jong-un" and I still would have bought.:)

Reactions: Terrormax
It's only a freaking name...get over it already. DJI could have named this thing "Kim Jong-un" and I still would have bought.:)

Well based on where DJI is located, you may not be far off ...

First, DJI has to be one the worst companies when it comes to naming thing. Just look at all the Phantom 3's. I rest my case there.

Second, the Air is more like the Mavic than the Spark.

However, I'd simply consider it neither and mostly in between.

They are in business to sell drones and the Mavic is their best selling drone with an excellent name/reputation. Just sense to attach a "Mavic" to the name.

First, DJI has to be one the worst companies when it comes to naming thing. Just look at all the Phantom 3's. I rest my case there.

Second, the Air is more like the Mavic than the Spark.

However, I'd simply consider it neither and mostly in between.
yeah, they should have just put an "S" or a plus behind it.... kinda like iPhone. lol

Good job they didn’t call it the plus,there would have been server overload [emoji2]

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midlifecrisis77