DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maryland

Yeah, that seems a little silly to place a general ban. Does that only restrict take off and landing or can they actually restrict the air space. I'm new to all this but my understanding is they couldn't restrict the air.[/QUOTE
I believe if you are not standing on their property and took off then there isn't anything they can do. I'm not a lawyer, but it doesn't make sense that you can get in trouble for that if you and the Mavic never touched the CA's ground and was flying at a certain altitude like 399 feet...ha!

Hey all, another HoCo resident here, live in King's Contrivance. I've only had the Mavic a couple of weeks but I'm loving it so far.

I've done a bit of local flying, a couple of early mornings at Lake Elkhorn (also with no issue, perhaps due to the fact it was quiet) and was planning to hit Centennial at some point, so will be interested in the response from the CA too. I've also been out to Schooley Mill Park in Highland, its normally dead and there's a lovely big open field to fly over (when there isn't a cricket match being played anyway.)

I would also like to check out Patapsco and Ellicott City at some point.

I agree about the airspace. After a certain height, I believe it's free air space. Just be careful flying on CA properties. It seems like they're not too sure about drone regulation and might be changing their policy soon. I went to Piney Run Lake in Carroll County on Tuesday and after being charged $10 for entry and flying for about an hour, I finally saw a no drone sign. The messed up part is that their no drone signs say that it's an order from the FAA, but on the B4UFly app, the area is not restricted. When I told this to an employee, he replied that drones can't fly in almost all of Carroll County. I thought it was crazy insane for Carroll County to be mostly flightless. Sad news, on Wednesday, I had my first big crash and mailed my Mavic. It was totally my fault and stupidity. Thank goodness I have the DJI Care Refresh and have to pay only $79 and not the $342 estimate I got today. Since DJI is replacing my Mavic, I hope it comes in next week. Can't lose these flying days! Always look above the Mavic to make sure it has enough space to take-off!!!

I live in Carroll and have been flying my Mavic in county since February. There is no county law prohibiting drones but there is limitation to fly in county parks (I'm pretty sure, but can't find it now). The bigger issue in the county is the abundance of small private airports. You can read the rules and how to handle this in other threads. I have my own opinions about these never in use old farm airports. I'm luck and live near a golf course, farms and woods. I fly around those areas. Hard to even see the Mavic when it is over 250 feet up unless it is right over you head.

I live in Carroll and have been flying my Mavic in county since February. There is no county law prohibiting drones but there is limitation to fly in county parks (I'm pretty sure, but can't find it now). The bigger issue in the county is the abundance of small private airports. You can read the rules and how to handle this in other threads. I have my own opinions about these never in use old farm airports. I'm luck and live near a golf course, farms and woods. I fly around those areas. Hard to even see the Mavic when it is over 250 feet up unless it is right over you head.

I've been flying in Carroll for several months also. All you need to do is contact all airports as indicated on the BYF app, and follow other FFA rules. And yes, there are lots of little cornfield airstrips within 5 miles of most all locations, but no different from the rest of Md. As a matter of fact, it's hard to find areas in Md where you don't have to contact an airport.

I've been to Piney Run recently, but have never flown there, although I've thought about it. Where were the signs indicating it was a NFZ? I've never seen this in any Carroll Park, but then again, normally just frequent my local farm fields.

The following link lists current UAV laws in Md, and appears to state the counties and local municipalities cannot enact their own laws.
Maryland Drone Laws (2017) -

Last edited:
Maryland guys, I would be up for a meet to fly sometime in September. I am in northern Montgomery County.

I'm going to be at the Baltimore Inner Harbor with my Mavic this Saturday, August 26.

Anyone interested in getting together? Post here or DM.

Bob

I'm in Crofton. New Mavic owner as of a couple weeks ago.

I want to go to wildlife sanctuaries/parks and shoot there, preferably on the eastern shore. Anyone have any advice or experience in this?

I agree about the airspace. After a certain height, I believe it's free air space. Just be careful flying on CA properties. It seems like they're not too sure about drone regulation and might be changing their policy soon. I went to Piney Run Lake in Carroll County on Tuesday and after being charged $10 for entry and flying for about an hour, I finally saw a no drone sign. The messed up part is that their no drone signs say that it's an order from the FAA, but on the B4UFly app, the area is not restricted. When I told this to an employee, he replied that drones can't fly in almost all of Carroll County. I thought it was crazy insane for Carroll County to be mostly flightless. Sad news, on Wednesday, I had my first big crash and mailed my Mavic. It was totally my fault and stupidity. Thank goodness I have the DJI Care Refresh and have to pay only $79 and not the $342 estimate I got today. Since DJI is replacing my Mavic, I hope it comes in next week. Can't lose these flying days! Always look above the Mavic to make sure it has enough space to take-off!!!
LMAO "drones can't fly in almost all of Carroll County."

I'm going to be at the Baltimore Inner Harbor with my Mavic this Saturday, August 26.

Anyone interested in getting together? Post here or DM.

Bob
Bob, curious how you were received at the Harbor. I would expect some issues.

I have been to that park but have never seen a drone flying there. Also seems to be in the NFZ, did you need ATC permission?

I was just there last weekend, flying a Mavic Pro and Inspire 2. It's definitely not in a NFZ, no ATC permissions needed, it' a full fledged flying club.

New member here, located in Hyattsville, MD. Any meets planned?

Hello and welcome. Silver Spring here. I know of no meetups at this time but what you have in mind? I have been going to Patapsco State Park.

New the community, just wasn't sure what kind of events take place. Turns out I live in a NFZ, (im only a mile or so outside of DC) plus I have multiple hospitals near by and a small air field next to UMD. I'll definitely have to do some traveling to get more practice.

New the community, just wasn't sure what kind of events take place. Turns out I live in a NFZ, (im only a mile or so outside of DC) plus I have multiple hospitals near by and a small air field next to UMD. I'll definitely have to do some traveling to get more practice.
Welcome RDG. I'm near UMD also. I'm still bummed that I can't fly from the park right next to my house. I was flying at T. Duckett Dam but they put up a No Drone post a week after I started. I'm pretty flexible with time so if you ever want to get out and fly together let me know.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11