DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maryland

Hello there guys and gals. I've had the Mavic since end of May and live in Columbia. I'm a teacher and off for the summer and trying to get as much air time as possible before work starts again. I've been just flying in the area, but willing to drive. If anyone wants to fly, just hit me up on this site and we'll rendezvous as long as it's not near DC...stinkin NFZ. The best days are the weekdays, but weekends are doable as well. Wanna make the most of this flying season! Hope to hear back from someone soon!

Attachments

• org_e49825d011db3a1f_1499042048000.jpg
    org_e49825d011db3a1f_1499042048000.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 18
Hello there guys and gals. I've had the Mavic since end of May and live in Columbia. I'm a teacher and off for the summer and trying to get as much air time as possible before work starts again. I've been just flying in the area, but willing to drive. If anyone wants to fly, just hit me up on this site and we'll rendezvous as long as it's not near DC...stinkin NFZ. The best days are the weekdays, but weekends are doable as well. Wanna make the most of this flying season! Hope to hear back from someone soon!
Hey S. Lee, I would love to get together. I am fairly new, been flying Mavic since April. I'm in Silver Spring. I had been learning at T. Howard Duckett Reservoir but they just posted No Drones at the water. My next location to fly is now Patapsco Park in Marriotsville. I try to check this site daily now so lets try to get together. I am free during the week.

Hey all, I'm very new to the group and Mavic Pro world. Flew mine first time yesterday and only left beginner mode one time. I was a little apprehensive because my last drone was a Walkera SCOUT and it was a pain to fly and even more of a pain to fix after crashing it three times. I am near Ft Meade in Jessup but I fly in the Ellicott City area. Wondering if anyone has good spots in EC to fly near the historic area. I'm also waiting on my Goggles to be shipped... any day now they say.
Hello Avery, Lets get together. I'm in Siver Spring.

S. Lee and Big G, that's cool, we have time during the week to fly as well. I have been practicing technical flying and wanted to check out Daniels Maryland at Patapsaco State Park.the ruins of the church. When I would mountain bike I found two houses in the woods abandon in open areas with high canopy in Patapsaco off the Landing Road entrance. It took about 30 minutes on mountain bike to get there so a hike would be much longer. I have a 360 cam with a mount for the Mavic and I wanted to try it out. My DJI Goggles will be here tomorrow as well. S. Lee my boys go to HOCO schools, my oldest is at Howard and my youngest just left Bonnie Branch and will be going to Howard in the fall.

S. Lee and Big G, that's cool, we have time during the week to fly as well. I have been practicing technical flying and wanted to check out Daniels Maryland at Patapsaco State Park.the ruins of the church. When I would mountain bike I found two houses in the woods abandon in open areas with high canopy in Patapsaco off the Landing Road entrance. It took about 30 minutes on mountain bike to get there so a hike would be much longer. I have a 360 cam with a mount for the Mavic and I wanted to try it out. My DJI Goggles will be here tomorrow as well. S. Leely seen a small part of the park. my boys go to HOCO schools, my oldest is at Howard and my youngest just left Bonnie Branch and will be going to Howard in the fall.
This sounds great Avery. You mention a part of Patapsco State Park I didn't know existed. I always go in from Marriotsville Rd and only knew that part. Looking at Google Maps I see I have only seen a small part of the park. If it wasn't the hottest day of the year, I'd consider going out now, but anytime later this week I am available. Just give me a time and location and I can be there.....Gary

This sounds great Avery. You mention a part of Patapsco State Park I didn't know existed. I always go in from Marriotsville Rd and only knew that part. Looking at Google Maps I see I have only seen a small part of the park. If it wasn't the hottest day of the year, I'd consider going out now, but anytime later this week I am available. Just give me a time and location and I can be there.....Gary

I have two meetings this week and I have to sit around all day in my home office waiting for FedEx with the Goggles since signature is required. Let's shoot for next week. Alone I can go anytime Monday, next Wed and Thurs my fiance and I can go anytime.

S. Lee and Big G, that's cool, we have time during the week to fly as well. I have been practicing technical flying and wanted to check out Daniels Maryland at Patapsaco State Park.the ruins of the church. When I would mountain bike I found two houses in the woods abandon in open areas with high canopy in Patapsaco off the Landing Road entrance. It took about 30 minutes on mountain bike to get there so a hike would be much longer. I have a 360 cam with a mount for the Mavic and I wanted to try it out. My DJI Goggles will be here tomorrow as well. S. Lee my boys go to HOCO schools, my oldest is at Howard and my youngest just left Bonnie Branch and will be going to Howard in the fall.
Oh whao, Howard High off of 108. I probably drive by Howard almost every other day. I live right next to Long Reach High which has become my practice flying site. This afternoon, I went to Rockburn Park for the very first time and probably won't go there again. Prior to being disappointed by Rockburn, around noon I went to Centennial Lake. While flying on my second battery, a couple of camp counselors yelled across the water to tell me that drones were not permitted on the park's premise. After landing and going home, I checked HoCo's website for park regulations and it stated needing a permit for an aircraft, but I didn't think it meant drones. I called HoCo's Park and Recreation and was told by two different people in which one of them was a director of park rangers that HoCo did not have any guidelines for flying drones and for flyers to just heed federal guidelines. He said that if flyers are being responsible, there's no reason why we all couldn't share the public space. Sorry, but to make the long story short, flyers are allowed in HoCo parks and most people probably have no idea what the rules and regulations are in which there are very few of. Sorry if you read this entire message. It wasn't my intention.

I have two meetings this week and I have to sit around all day in my home office waiting for FedEx with the Goggles since signature is required. Let's shoot for next week. Alone I can go anytime Monday, next Wed and Thurs my fiance and I can go anytime.
Monday works for me. Hopefully it will cool down a bit by then. I'm going to test myself with getting up for sunrise tomorrow. I'll let you know how that works out lol. Some time tomorrow I will fly, but look forward to Monday.

Oh whao, Howard High off of 108. I probably drive by Howard almost every other day. I live right next to Long Reach High which has become my practice flying site. This afternoon, I went to Rockburn Park for the very first time and probably won't go there again. Prior to being disappointed by Rockburn, around noon I went to Centennial Lake. While flying on my second battery, a couple of camp counselors yelled across the water to tell me that drones were not permitted on the park's premise. After landing and going home, I checked HoCo's website for park regulations and it stated needing a permit for an aircraft, but I didn't think it meant drones. I called HoCo's Park and Recreation and was told by two different people in which one of them was a director of park rangers that HoCo did not have any guidelines for flying drones and for flyers to just heed federal guidelines. He said that if flyers are being responsible, there's no reason why we all couldn't share the public space. Sorry, but to make the long story short, flyers are allowed in HoCo parks and most people probably have no idea what the rules and regulations are in which there are very few of. Sorry if you read this entire message. It wasn't my intention.
The closest part of HoCo is Laurel. There is a skateboard park there I want see if my Mavic will take off from. I have to find it so I can't use b.4ufly

S. Lee we have been to Bonnie Branch off Illchester Rd in the field out back. It's very quiet and no one messes with you. If you hike back in the woods where the bikes enter the park on landing road there are quite a few areas with open paths and high canopy if you wanted woods flying. There are quite a few open fields back there. You can also go into the park proper off US 1 near Elkridge Baltimore Country if you are daring enough you can fly over the river and around the swinging bridge. I also want to try places like Louden Park Cemetery with the mosuleums. It's located at the city country line in the southwest part of the city.

Hey S. Lee, I would love to get together. I am fairly new, been flying Mavic since April. I'm in Silver Spring. I had been learning at T. Howard Duckett Reservoir but they just posted No Drones at the water. My next location to fly is now Patapsco Park in Marriotsville. I try to check this site daily now so lets try to get together. I am free during the week.
Sounds good. Is Duckett Reservoir at the end of Supplee Road/Lane off of 198? I was just there for the first time about two weeks ago and saw my first "No Drone" sign. It was a picture of a Phantom drone, so I was gonna play naive and just fly the Mavic, but then my senses kicked in. I went to Patuxent State Park Avalon, but besides flying above the river and a small clearing there were no good places to fly. It's a huge park, so I'm sure there places to fly, just have to find it. Well, it'll be neat to fly with other human beings. In the beginning, just flying by yourself is good enough, but eventually our human species instinct kicks in and some company would be appreciated. Stay cool and let's all find a time and location.

S. Lee we have been to Bonnie Branch off Illchester Rd in the field out back. It's very quiet and no one messes with you. If you hike back in the woods where the bikes enter the park on landing road there are quite a few areas with open paths and high canopy if you wanted woods flying. There are quite a few open fields back there. You can also go into the park proper off US 1 near Elkridge Baltimore Country if you are daring enough you can fly over the river and around the swinging bridge. I also want to try places like Louden Park Cemetery with the mosuleums. It's located at the city country line in the southwest part of the city.
Yes, I know exactly where you're talking about with the river and swinging bridge. Early June, it was my 1st narrow space flying over the river and under the bridge. It was a great learning experience because it's a totally different feeling when flying under such conditions and not just in open space.

Sounds good. Is Duckett Reservoir at the end of Supplee Road/Lane off of 198? I was just there for the first time about two weeks ago and saw my first "No Drone" sign. It was a picture of a Phantom drone, so I was gonna play naive and just fly the Mavic, but then my senses kicked in. I went to Patuxent State Park Avalon, but besides flying above the river and a small clearing there were no good places to fly. It's a huge park, so I'm sure there places to fly, just have to find it. Well, it'll be neat to fly with other human beings. In the beginning, just flying by yourself is good enough, but eventually our human species instinct kicks in and some company would be appreciated. Stay cool and let's all find a time and location.
Yes that is exactly the part of the reservoir I am referring to. I think that no drone sign is there for me. I have never seen anyone else flying there. I did make it to Patapsco Park and flew around the old church yesterday. I think my next trip will be the Cascade Falls. That will have to wait till it cools down a bit i think. I have a party to shoot on Friday and going to MIR for the drag races on Sat. Any day after I would love to get together. Seems it's just 3 of us here in the forum right now so hopefully we can all meet up.

How's it going guys. I just got a Mavic a couple weeks ago (I live in Columbia). Just wanted to check in and say hi since I saw the conversation was fairly local. I will contribute that I put the drone up at Fort Frederick Saturday and the fort makes a cool subject from the air
IMG_0678.JPG IMG_0679.JPG IMG_0680.JPG

Hi there! This morning, I went to Bonnie Branch MS to fly. The school is in a neat location. Then towards the evening, I flew at Lake Elkhorn. Things look so different, but cool, from the air. Just found out tonight that to fly in Columbia Association's parks, you need to get a written approval from them first, so I'm going to hit them up first thing tomorrow morning. That's so silly, Howard County's parks are okay, but for CA's, you need permission. I guess I can always take off from outside CA's property if they don't give me approval. They better not charge me any fee to fly. They charge for everything at the CA.

Hi there! This morning, I went to Bonnie Branch MS to fly. The school is in a neat location. Then towards the evening, I flew at Lake Elkhorn. Things look so different, but cool, from the air. Just found out tonight that to fly in Columbia Association's parks, you need to get a written approval from them first, so I'm going to hit them up first thing tomorrow morning. That's so silly, Howard County's parks are okay, but for CA's, you need permission. I guess I can always take off from outside CA's property if they don't give me approval. They better not charge me any fee to fly. They charge for everything at the CA.
That's good to know, I wasn't aware at all. If you don't mind, please post any details you end up finding out for the CA parks.

I just spoke with some one at CA open spaces and also sent them an email, but currently they are not allowing hobbyists to fly in CA properties. I told him everything that I have done to practice safe drone flying like FAA registration and insurance via AMA and he seemed pretty impressed, so hopefully I should hear back soon with good news. I'm surprise still that Howard County and state parks will allow drone flying, but CA won't. Oh well, nothing I can do but wait.

I just spoke with some one at CA open spaces and also sent them an email, but currently they are not allowing hobbyists to fly in CA properties. I told him everything that I have done to practice safe drone flying like FAA registration and insurance via AMA and he seemed pretty impressed, so hopefully I should hear back soon with good news. I'm surprise still that Howard County and state parks will allow drone flying, but CA won't. Oh well, nothing I can do but wait.
Yeah, that seems a little silly to place a general ban. Does that only restrict take off and landing or can they actually restrict the air space. I'm new to all this but my understanding is they couldn't restrict the air.

Yeah, that seems a little silly to place a general ban. Does that only restrict take off and landing or can they actually restrict the air space. I'm new to all this but my understanding is they couldn't restrict the air.

Hey guys, I've had no issues with anyone telling me I couldn't fly at Lake Elkhorn and at Centennial Park-Lake.

I agree about the airspace. After a certain height, I believe it's free air space. Just be careful flying on CA properties. It seems like they're not too sure about drone regulation and might be changing their policy soon. I went to Piney Run Lake in Carroll County on Tuesday and after being charged $10 for entry and flying for about an hour, I finally saw a no drone sign. The messed up part is that their no drone signs say that it's an order from the FAA, but on the B4UFly app, the area is not restricted. When I told this to an employee, he replied that drones can't fly in almost all of Carroll County. I thought it was crazy insane for Carroll County to be mostly flightless. Sad news, on Wednesday, I had my first big crash and mailed my Mavic. It was totally my fault and stupidity. Thank goodness I have the DJI Care Refresh and have to pay only $79 and not the $342 estimate I got today. Since DJI is replacing my Mavic, I hope it comes in next week. Can't lose these flying days! Always look above the Mavic to make sure it has enough space to take-off!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus