DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Batteries bulging, less than 40 recharges each: Planned Obsolescence, Bad Batch...or Coincidence?

I admit I had my quads in my car and I'm sure that contributed to 2 out of 3 of my M2 batteries showing swelling 1-2 mm after use, which goes down 1mm when back to house temp of 74F. However none of my 3 P3s have exhibited a problem.

Storage specs say up to 120F.

Rick of Drone Valley reported one or two of his Air batteries swelling after being in an unattended car down south for only 15 minutes. Now that should not happen.

Anyhow, seems interesting that there have been more reports of swelling issues for M2 batteries than M1 batteries.

I admit I had my quads in my car and I'm sure that contributed to 2 out of 3 of my M2 batteries showing swelling 1-2 mm after use, which goes down 1mm when back to house temp of 74F. However none of my 3 P3s have exhibited a problem.

Storage specs say up to 120F.

Rick of Drone Valley reported one or two of his Air batteries swelling after being in an unattended car down south for only 15 minutes. Now that should not happen.

Anyhow, seems interesting that there have been more reports of swelling issues for M2 batteries than M1 batteries.
What we might believe shouldn’t happen has no impact on what often does. Permanent irreversible damage from elevated temperature is one of the known limitations of LiION chemistry. I have LiPO’s that I killed (unusable) after one exposure to extreme temp. It’s a real issue and it isn’t DJI specific by any means.

Reactions: E90RAW
There are *far* more people having this issue with M2 batteries than other drones. Either its a common manufacturing issue OR the stated operating parameters are wrong.
How often did you keep the batteries fully charged?

Since my first support email to DJI I decided to include a link to this thread in my reply email to DJI responding with the "out of warranty" response..... then after they obviously looked into it they have now asked me to send in the batteries! .......to be continued......

Since my first support email to DJI I decided to include a link to this thread in my reply email to DJI responding with the "out of warranty" response..... then after they obviously looked into it they have now asked me to send in the batteries! .......to be continued......

Isn't sending knowingly damaged lithium batteries through the mail banned in most countries?

There are few reports of battery M2 faults on this forum, which suggests that either you had some from a bad batch or you mistreated them. Either way, it seems a little extreme to abandon the aircraft for that reason.
What is the "required" maintenance on the batt's. What I'm seeing here is:
1). Don't drop or abuse.
2). Don't FULLY discharge? Is there a lower limit in the batt% to not go below?
3). If storing and not using discharge every 5 days and then recharge?
4). Don't recharge immediately after use or when still warm?

What is the "required" maintenance on the batt's. What I'm seeing here is:
1). Don't drop or abuse.
2). Don't FULLY discharge? Is there a lower limit in the batt% to not go below?
3). If storing and not using discharge every 5 days and then recharge?
4). Don't recharge immediately after use or when still warm?

The batteries have built-in protection, so it's hard to overdischarge them - they simply shut off. The rest of those guidelines look good. Maybe add trying to avoid temperature extremes. I had numerous Phantom 2 batteries go bad, but from the P4 onwards, and the Mavic range, I've not seen any problems at all.

The batteries have built-in protection, so it's hard to overdischarge them - they simply shut off. The rest of those guidelines look good. Maybe add trying to avoid temperature extremes. I had numerous Phantom 2 batteries go bad, but from the P4 onwards, and the Mavic range, I've not seen any problems at all.
I flew one batt to 0% will hovering as regular lithium ion batts like to be discharged. (the M2P never landed by the way even though it threatened) Is this bad behavior for the lipo batts?

The M2's seem to have a wide margin from 0% to cutoff. Billy Kyle was able to fly for about 2 minutes beyond zero.
I wouldn't do that often though, only in an emergency.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica